Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steroid Olympics

• 21-05-2013 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

With all the hype and controversy about people taking steroids in sports, wouldn't it just be easier to have a seperate Olympics where there were no drug tests?
    I'm not saying make steroids legal, we don't want to encourage any law breaking, just have an Olympics where it's made clear that nobody will be tested.;)

The anti-doping people would still have their Olympics, but those of us who want so see somebody running 100m in 8 secs, and weightlifters lifting 500kg, and martial arts competitions that look like a Universal Soldier movie, would also have our Olympics.

What do you think, which would you watch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

It would become a freak show almost instantly. It would be avoided like the plague by sponsors who want to push a wholesome, clean image and all I think you would be left with would be a bunch of semi pro dopers desperate for fame and cash, who have no regard for how much damage they could do to themselves by pushing performance enhancement via drugs to the inth degree. Countries with less than admirable histories in doping would dominate it from the start. Can't see the appeal of such a competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

It would become a freak show almost instantly. It would be avoided like the plague by sponsors who want to push a wholesome, clean image and all I think you would be left with would be a bunch of semi pro dopers desperate for fame and cash, who have no regard for how much damage they could do to themselves by pushing performance enhancement via drugs to the inth degree. Countries with less than admirable histories in doping would dominate it from the start. Can't see the appeal of such a competition.

I don't think it would be all that bad. Cycling was basically like that for a while, it's not that they weren't testing, they just knew some steroids couldn't be detected, and it didn't turn out all that bad, it produced one of the best cyclists ever, albeit due to copious amounts of steroids, but he was till the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Nino Brown wrote: »
    ... he was till the best.

No, he wasn't. He won by cheating. We don't know who was the best because some were cheating and some weren't.

No, he wasn't. He won by cheating. We don't know who was the best because some were cheating and some weren't.

Yeah, he was the best/fastest because he took steroids, yes he was cheating, but he was still the best, it's just how he got there that was the problem, and maybe if he didn't take steroids someone else would have been the best. That's why I'd like to see what can be done using steroids.
    I'd like to see how fast we can run, how high we can jump.

And when I say steroids I mean all performance enhancers, technically I suppose EPO isn't a steroid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Eh, no, he was not the best.
    He was a cheat.
    Nothing he "achieved" in any race - ever - counts, as far as I'm concerned.
    The very fact that we both know precisely who the other is referring to without mentioning any names just goes to show how complete was his betrayal of those who took inspiration from him.
    If you think "ah, yeah, so he cheated a bit, but he was still great", then you are a very deluded individual.

Away you go and organise your cheats' olympics. I won't be watching.

Goodnight.

• Advertisement

Eh, no, he was not the best.
    He was a cheat.
    Nothing he "achieved" in any race - ever - counts, as far as I'm concerned.
    The very fact that we both know precisely who the other is referring to without mentioning any names just goes to show how complete was his betrayal of those who took inspiration from him.
    If you think "ah, yeah, so he cheated a bit, but he was still great", then you are a very deluded individual.

Away you go and organise your cheats' olympics. I won't be watching.

Goodnight.

You're kind of missing the point, I don't care who he betrayed, or who he cheated I'm not a cycling fan, all I'm saying is he was the fastest. And I'd like to see how far it could be taken
    Although I will say anybody who convinced themselves he wasn't on EPO deluded themselves. I knew nothing about cycling, but I knew it was rife with EPO to the point that it was easier to count the people not on it.

Good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What a ridiculous idea. This would cause more and more athletes turn to performance enhancing drugs, and possibly at higher doses, leading to a greater risk of health issues, and possible deaths.

This drug taking is ruining sport. It is not something that should be promoted.

Larianne wrote: »
    What a ridiculous idea. This would cause more and more athletes turn to performance enhancing drugs, and possibly at higher doses, leading to a greater risk of health issues, and possible deaths.

This drug taking is ruining sport. It is not something that should be promoted.

But there's already cycling, and pro wrestling and body building etc, all sports where we know at least at one point performance enhancers were used almost universally.

I agree with most of your points, it would lead to more drug use, especially if there was money to be made, but that would kind of the whole point.
    There would be health issues obviously but I don't see why there would be any more than those caused in the sports mentioned above, they use/used drugs pretty intensively.
    And drugs are ruining sports because its not fair competition, what I suggested might even help that. It would tend to take cheats out of the regulated sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭EireGreg

I Wanna see some1 break 9 secs in the 100m i dnt care if there on steroids all steroids should be legal who cares if some1 is usen i dnt nd alot of people i know feel the same i wanna see the human body do as much as it is possible with drugs without drugs all the same to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

EireGreg wrote: »
    I Wanna see some1 break 9 secs in the 100m i dnt care if there on steroids all steroids should be legal who cares if some1 is usen i dnt nd alot of people i know feel the same i wanna see the human body do as much as it is possible with drugs without drugs all the same to me

Mod note:
    Users are asked to avoid posting in so-called "txt speak".

• Advertisement
Advertisement