Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COMPETITION] Win a HTC One/Samsung Galaxy S4 thanks to Electric Ireland!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

What’s the best thing (and/or worst thing, if you must!) about owning a smartphone?

Always a easy way of finding information, news, etc because it is like a mini computer. The apps are great, and I will never move back to a normal phone after owning one.

There is no really bad things about owning a smart phone, other than the cost and the battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

The worst thing about having a smart phone is that it essentially becomes a part of your life. Having the irresistible urge to check your phone every 5 minutes just incase you get a WhatsApp message or an email. 

It seems to have ruined time spent with friends, meeting up with friends has been replaced with group messaging. Even when you do all get together the phones are out all the time, if not in your hands they're on the table beside you, ready to be picked up at the slightest hint of a light or vibration going off.

I think they have done more bad for us than good. That being said, I still wouldn't give mine up, even for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

The best thing about owning a smartphone is the access to data anywhere you need and one of worst things is the constant feeling you need to check mail/sites/social networks /games etc :S

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Hi everyone,

When you consider that more than two-thirds of the Irish population own a smartphone of some kind, it’s safe to say they’re here to stay. The capabilities of these little (and big!) devices improve all the time, allowing us to automate aspects of our lives with ease. Climote is a case in point – an award-winning digital timeclock which pairs perfectly with a smartphone, allowing you to control your home heating from anywhere.

Until 31/05/13, you can get Climote at the reduced price of just €269 when you purchase one at our online store using the voucher code EI0105A - that's €130 off the RRP of €399!

And that’s not all of course: entering this month’s Boards competition will give you the chance to win either a HTC One or a Samsung Galaxy S4! The winner will have a choice between these two gorgeous smartphones, both ideal for running the latest and greatest apps, browsing the web, snapping pics, controlling your home heating , or, indeed, talking to friends and family (so long as they don’t interrupt your record-breaking game of Angry Birds).

To be in with a chance to win, just answer this question: What’s the best thing (and/or worst thing, if you must!) about owning a smartphone?

The competition runs until next Wednesday 29th May, and the winner will be chosen via random selection. The usual T&Cs apply.

Best of luck!

David
    I think it is the portability of modern devices, comparing the phones of today to their counterparts from years ago they are incredibly slim and portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yep_

Hi everyone,

When you consider that more than two-thirds of the Irish population own a smartphone of some kind, it’s safe to say they’re here to stay. The capabilities of these little (and big!) devices improve all the time, allowing us to automate aspects of our lives with ease. Climote is a case in point – an award-winning digital timeclock which pairs perfectly with a smartphone, allowing you to control your home heating from anywhere.

Until 31/05/13, you can get Climote at the reduced price of just €269 when you purchase one at our online store using the voucher code EI0105A - that's €130 off the RRP of €399!

And that’s not all of course: entering this month’s Boards competition will give you the chance to win either a HTC One or a Samsung Galaxy S4! The winner will have a choice between these two gorgeous smartphones, both ideal for running the latest and greatest apps, browsing the web, snapping pics, controlling your home heating , or, indeed, talking to friends and family (so long as they don’t interrupt your record-breaking game of Angry Birds).

To be in with a chance to win, just answer this question: What’s the best thing (and/or worst thing, if you must!) about owning a smartphone?

The competition runs until next Wednesday 29th May, and the winner will be chosen via random selection. The usual T&Cs apply.

Best of luck!

David
    The best thing about owning a smartphone is owning a smartphone!! you can browse without a laptop, everything is literally there with you 24/7.  Unfortunately i do not own such a phone and would be beyond ecstatic if i won!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Best thing: I've got a device in my pocket contently connected to the internet and anyone can reach me at any time.
    Worst thing: I've got a device in my pocket contently connected to the internet and anyone can reach me at any time.

It's a double edged sword :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

It owns me really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Best thing about smartphones is the number of ways to stay in touch with friends and family by email, watsapp, viber,facebook twitter etc! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 looky

hotshots85 wrote: »
    It owns me really
    The best thing about owning a smart phone is the ability to access the vast amounts of information on the web at the touch of a button from just about anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Worst thing is having to put my trusty Nokia 3210 into retirement :( Snake on a touch screen just isnt the same :p
    The best thing is accepting video calls where ever I am from relations living out foreign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

The best thing is, you have a control centre in your pocket.
     The worst is, you feel naked without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Best thing is having everything at your fingertips From Games, News, and Apps to Internet

Worst thing (about others owning them) iPHONE users only

When they hold it up in the air to make sure you know they have one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thisguy145

best thing about a smartphone? being able to do everything on the one device :) worst thing?... probably that I'm on my current one 24/7 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭steloide

Left my phone at home the other day......i felt like a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

The worst thing is how they reduce the social interaction between people, for example two people on a date but they spend the night on their phones instead of talking to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CyanRain

The best thing about owning a smartphone is definitely, without a shadow of a doubt in my mind, making my friends look like they're doing Gangnam style....obviously

The best thing is being connected to the world 24/7 no matter where you are.

The worst thing is that battery technology isnt able to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I would like to be down with the cool kids and have a fancy, shiney, touch screen phone. Even my Dad has one at this stage and it's a bit upsetting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Best thing: Internet in my pocket.

Worst thing: After-office work in my pocket (flippin' work emails) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 asdustdances94

The best thing about owning a smartphone such as a galaxy s4 would be the fact that you can do almost anything a PC can do on it (which is great because I no longer have my own PC) and it also would have a really high quality camera ! (don't have one of those either) and seeing as it is summer it could help me stay in touch with friends and family via apps such as viber, whatsapp , snapchat ect ! 

I dont think there is a downside to having a smart phone ! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I'm not going to lie, the best thing has to be gps and maps. I could get lost on a boat. I generally have an idea where some place is but then realise how totally wrong I am pretty swiftly.

Pretty embarrassing but now I don't feel like crying like a toddler who has run away from its parents and has no idea where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

The best thing about owning a phone is the idea of private property. When the phone is mine I will get to decide what happens to it; it's destiny will lie in my hands and I will be a benevolent and touching ruler.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Beagslife

Watching a family of four on a sun holiday, sitting at a table in the local (WiFi zone) bar, each engrossed in their respective smartphones!

ps. I do it too (sometimes)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 conor o brien

The best thing is always having internet access, a sat nav, a camera and pretty much anything you want your phone to be in pocket.
    The worst thing has to be battery life but I live with that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Best: Internet on the go very handy. Full QWERTY keyboard for texting helps (hate the "button-mashing" method)
    Worst: Charging every night :( . Accidentally clicking the wrong person and then quickly having to cancel the call :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Worst thing about smartphones is just how much of your life they eat away at and people walking head down, mindlessly staring at little screens.

Best thing is people talk to each other much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Best: Endless entertainment in your pocket 24/7

Worst: Trying to teach the folks how to use it,over and over and over.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Being able to ring people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

best thing is being able to do everything on the go...if its pay a bill... send an email...buy something off ebay. how did we survive without smartphones before this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 MatthewMonster

The best thing about having a smartphone is that I don't need to fire up my computer in order to check Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. This is also the worst thing about them though, I never get off the things now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement