Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Made Fake Offer

Options
  • 21-05-2013 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

On the 7/5/13 I rang Eircom Cancellations department at 1.45pm and spoke to Lxxx who asked me questions about why I wanted to cancel and who I was moving to for Broadband and I mentioned that the €50/month I was paying was just too much for broadband and the previous offer of €35/6 months was no use to me as it went back to €50 and tied me to that price for a further 6 months!

I was adamant that I would be cancelling and moving to Sky for their offer of €40/month until Lxxx offered me a deal which not just matched the Sky deal on price but did not tie me into a contract. I would be paying €40/month for my current  package for as long as I remained a customer, with no contract just the normal 30day notice period. I gladly accepted this offer and cancelled my preparations for the move to Sky.

On getting my bill in the post yesterday 20/5/13 (bill issue date 16/5/13) I noticed no mention of the new deal and the price is exactly the same €49.99 as it has been for the last 6 months!

I rang Eircom twice today to try to sort out this mess and on the 1st occasion i was told that they could see the offer on my account but could not see details of it! on the 2nd call I was told that this €40/month offer was never made to me and that the best they would offer me is €40/month for 6 months then back to €50/month with a 12 month contract. 

To be honest this kind of swindle/confidence trick is not on. I was promised one offer on a recorded call and when I asked the 2nd operator today for a copy of that recording he muttered something loudly before transferring me to some number which did not answer!

Please sort this out. Either reinstate the promised offer and adjust my current bill to reflect the new offer or cancel that last bill (as I will not be paying an incorrect amount) and I will revert to my original plan of leaving eirCON and moving to Sky.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

foggy_lad wrote: »
    On the 7/5/13 I rang Eircom Cancellations department at 1.45pm and spoke to Lxxx who asked me questions about why I wanted to cancel and who I was moving to for Broadband and I mentioned that the €50/month I was paying was just too much for broadband and the previous offer of €35/6 months was no use to me as it went back to €50 and tied me to that price for a further 6 months!

I was adamant that I would be cancelling and moving to Sky for their offer of €40/month until Lxxx offered me a deal which not just matched the Sky deal on price but did not tie me into a contract. I would be paying €40/month for my current  package for as long as I remained a customer, with no contract just the normal 30day notice period. I gladly accepted this offer and cancelled my preparations for the move to Sky.

On getting my bill in the post yesterday 20/5/13 (bill issue date 16/5/13) I noticed no mention of the new deal and the price is exactly the same €49.99 as it has been for the last 6 months!

I rang Eircom twice today to try to sort out this mess and on the 1st occasion i was told that they could see the offer on my account but could not see details of it! on the 2nd call I was told that this €40/month offer was never made to me and that the best they would offer me is €40/month for 6 months then back to €50/month with a 12 month contract. 

To be honest this kind of swindle/confidence trick is not on. I was promised one offer on a recorded call and when I asked the 2nd operator today for a copy of that recording he muttered something loudly before transferring me to some number which did not answer!

Please sort this out. Either reinstate the promised offer and adjust my current bill to reflect the new offer or cancel that last bill (as I will not be paying an incorrect amount) and I will revert to my original plan of leaving eirCON and moving to Sky.

Hi foggy_lad

Apologies, I responded to the other post first.

I will look into it and get back to you.

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi foggy_lad

Apologies, I responded to the other post first.

I will look into it and get back to you.

Mark
    Any move on this?

Just to avoid any confusion, when I was talking to Lxxx on 7/5/13 She asked if the €40/month offer from Sky included VAT which of course it does.

Was that so that I could be offered the same offer but then told later that it was exclusive of vat? afaik it would be an offence for Eircom to operate in this way with their residential customers as all consumer prices must be quoted inclusive of VAT.

Maybe its just my impatience but I expected a response to this very serious issue today! Has the call from 7th May been listened to and also have the calls from the other day been listened to?

Any response yet?

I just got off the phone to Eircom and the plot thickens!

Daxxx in Cancellations has just told me that I have been put onto a €40/month for 6 months rising to €50/month after this and that I am tied into a contract for a year!

I had previously turned down an offer of €35/month for 6 months and €50/month thereafter.

He also told me that it was impossible to give me the previous offer that Lyxx quoted with no contract.

I was also told that a data protection/FOI request for the audio copy of the call made on 7/5/13 to Lyxx would cost me €7.50

All of this is bullxxxx and some is quite possibly illegal.

• Advertisement

I just got off the phone to Eircom and the plot thickens!

Daxxx in Cancellations has just told me that I have been put onto a €40/month for 6 months rising to €50/month after this and that I am tied into a contract for a year!

I had previously turned down an offer of €35/month for 6 months and €50/month thereafter.

He also told me that it was impossible to give me the previous offer that Lyxx quoted with no contract.

I was also told that a data protection/FOI request for the audio copy of the call made on 7/5/13 to Lyxx would cost me €7.50

Hi
    foggy_lad

I am still working on locating and listening to the call.

I will let you know as soon as I have any news.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yup. More bullox. This is not an FOI request. eircom are not the Government. Or do they think they are?
    And a Data Protection request can, at most, cost €6.35

/me thinks a certain department can do with more training.

At this stage, I'd consider it a point of principle and request ALL call recordings on this, and pays yer money. Go from there. But then... that's just me.

Hi
    foggy_lad

I am still working on locating and listening to the call.

I will let you know as soon as I have any news.

Thanks, Mark
    It is not as if these calls are recorded on a tape recorder or some old reel to reel recorder, they are digitally recorded and stored digitally for instant retrieval, I fail to understand why there is such a delay in getting the call listened to and acted upon!

If Eircom are unwilling or unable to resolve this very serious issue by simply listening to the call recording from 7th May, by end of business today i will consider any current contract void due to the dishonesty from Eircom, I will also refuse to pay any amount due to Eircom as it is an incorrect amount, I will revert to my original descision to leave Eircom and move to SKY again purely due to Eircom lying to me and reneging on a deal struck with me.

Eircom are dishonest and Eircom staff have been dishonest in their dealings with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Am I right in thinking that you signed up to a contract for a year and want to opt out now that the introductory period is over?

IM

• Advertisement

Iomega Man wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that you signed up to a contract for a year and want to opt out now that the introductory period is over?

IM

No you are not right. please read my first post in this thread before making any further comment!

My Eircom contract was ending on the 8th May so I rang cancelletions to give my 30days notice and move to SKY as they were charging €40/month. Eircom offered me the same package as I was on but without any contract for €40/month, I confirmed twice during the call that this was not a special opffer price that would rise back to €50/month after 6 months and also that there would be no 12 month contract and I could leave after giving 30 days notice.

Now Eircom are lying by telling me that this offer was never made and that the best they will offer me is €40/month for 6 months then back to €50/month with a year long contract! So far my requests for a copy of that recorded call on the 7th May have met with silence but Eircom will need that call recording to prove their case!

No you are not right. please read my first post in this thread before making any further comment!

My Eircom contract was ending on the 8th May so I rang cancelletions to give my 30days notice and move to SKY as they were charging €40/month. Eircom offered me the same package as I was on but without any contract for €40/month, I confirmed twice during the call that this was not a special opffer price that would rise back to €50/month after 6 months and also that there would be no 12 month contract and I could leave after giving 30 days notice.

Now Eircom are lying by telling me that this offer was never made and that the best they will offer me is €40/month for 6 months then back to €50/month with a year long contract! So far my requests for a copy of that recorded call on the 7th May have met with silence but Eircom will need that call recording to prove their case!
    Ah here, no need for the attitude in the first line of your reply.
    I obviously misread the post and was only trying to help out.

Iomega Man wrote: »
    Ah here, no need for the attitude in the first line of your reply.
    I obviously misread the post and was only trying to help out.

You decided that I was pulling a fast one and trying to get out of a binding contract without any details and without even reading the original post.

There is nothing wrong with my attitude in this thread but if you feel there is you should report any post you find objectionable.

For what its worth, if you look at my comment it was in fact a question (hence the QUESTION MARK!!).
    I was merely trying to get a handle on what you were saying and posed the question. Thats all.

Any Eircom response to this?

The advertised response time is 14 hours but this has been going on for over 3 days now and it looks like it will drag on well into next week and it may well see out the bank holiday:(

Nothing on this yet! The current bill Can't be paid by me as it is for an incorrect amount, please listen to the call recording and issue a correct bill so I can pay what I owe.

Any Update on this? I have been waiting quite a while for a call recording to be listened to and for Eircom to honour the deal offered to me on 7th May, I am prepared to wait for COMREG to sort this out in their ten days time-frame but I can't pay my current bill until it is corrected to reflect the new deal given to me by Eircom.

I have just had an update on this on Twitter from Mark who tells me that the call has been listened to and basically confirms my version of events.

Mark also tells me that if I wish to move to SKY there will be no notification or contract charges:D:D I'm getting a vibe that Eircom don't want to stand over the offer made to me?

I wish to stay with Eircom as I have not had any issues with them up to now and I wish to avail of the offer that I accepted on 7th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Jaysus, just reading your thread now foggy_lad, I was thinking of switching to Eircom for broadband but after seeing this I've changed me mind. Here Eircom have a forum to help customers let others see good how their customer service is. I guess you don't need good customer service if your just roping people into contracts they don't want and ignoring complaints.

• Advertisement

Marsden wrote: »
    Jaysus, just reading your thread now foggy_lad, I was thinking of switching to Eircom for broadband but after seeing this I've changed me mind. Here Eircom have a forum to help customers let others see good how their customer service is. I guess you don't need good customer service if your just roping people into contracts they don't want and ignoring complaints.
    Well I have never had an issue with the broadband except for it disconnecting regularly several times a day for the last month but that is probably due to the work on their fibre roll out?

And if you get a deal they might match Sky or give you €35 for 6 months which is not too bad. there are a lot of complaints about SKY broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

I have just had an update on this on Twitter from Mark who tells me that the call has been listened to and basically confirms my version of events.

Mark also tells me that if I wish to move to SKY there will be no notification or contract charges:D:D I'm getting a vibe that Eircom don't want to stand over the offer made to me?

I wish to stay with Eircom as I have not had any issues with them up to now and I wish to avail of the offer that I accepted on 7th May.

After all this you still wish to stay with them???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Marsden wrote: »

All due respect to foggy's specific issue, many companies have rogue sales people. It's how the companies deal with these rogues that will define them in the eyes of the consumer.

Knowing eircom [regardless of what people think, is a reputable company], they will have already disciplined this sales person. I'm sure that this is not a widespread problem in eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

No but the fact that Mark has gone to twitter to address this and not here, in the forum, is not great. 
    Mark has also confirmed that Foggy was offered, and accepted, a new deal which they are now rolling back on

No but the fact that Mark has gone to twitter to address this and not here, in the forum, is not great. 
    Mark has also confirmed that Foggy was offered, and accepted, a new deal which they are now rolling back on
    I think the problem is that the agent did not specify which actual offer code was to be used on my account for the €40 price so it was just left as it was. It appears an agent does the deals on the phone then passes the details to some other department to apply the negotiated offers etc onto the customer accounts but all these offers have specific codes which must be used, all companies use codes for price plans etc.

It may be a case that Eircom have to produce a new offer code for my particular case.
    After all this you still wish to stay with them???

Yes as up to this I have not had any issue with Eircom apart from minor DNS issues they had for a few hours last year.

My main annoyance with this whole problem is the length of time it took Eircom to dig out the call recording and listen to it, and it appears it was only done this morning after the intervention of COMREG.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

RangeR wrote: »
    All due respect to foggy's specific issue, many companies have rogue sales people. It's how the companies deal with these rogues that will define them in the eyes of the consumer.

Knowing eircom [regardless of what people think, is a reputable company], they will have already disciplined this sales person. I'm sure that this is not a widespread problem in eircom.
    It's not just a rogue salesperson that would put me off, it's how it's been handled by the reps here. Look at foggy_lads dates on his postings, they seem to be avoiding him or are not bothered following up this issue. Put those two together and it makes a broadband provider I'd rather avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

I think the problem is that the agent did not specify which actual offer code was to be used on my account for the €40 price so it was just left as it was. It appears an agent does the deals on the phone then passes the details to some other department to apply the negotiated offers etc onto the customer accounts but all these offers have specific codes which must be used, all companies use codes for price plans etc.

It may be a case that Eircom have to produce a new offer code for my particular case.

Yes as up to this I have not had any issue with Eircom apart from minor DNS issues they had for a few hours last year.

My main annoyance with this whole problem is the length of time it took Eircom to dig out the call recording and listen to it, and it appears it was only done this morning after the intervention of COMREG.

Good luck dealing with them more effectively in the future.

Hi again Mark, Further to your call a few minutes ago where I refused to discuss the issue as there was going to be no "paper trail" can you please contact me in writing at the address on my account or the email address which I will not send you via PM.

From the start of the call it soulds very much like Eircom are not going to honour the offer agreed with them on the 7th May which is not on at all, How can a company scam their customers into staying on with them for longer by telling them lies!?

I now have an outstanding eircom bill which is not correct as it is not for the amount that was agreed by Eircom on 7th May.

This bill will only be paid when eircom set me up with the offer that was agreed to on 7th May as if I was told the truth by Eircon back then i would not be a customer and would have owed them nothing!!

Hi again Mark, Further to your call a few minutes ago where I refused to discuss the issue as there was going to be no "paper trail" can you please contact me in writing at the address on my account or the email address which I will not send you via PM.

From the start of the call it soulds very much like Eircom are not going to honour the offer agreed with them on the 7th May which is not on at all, How can a company scam their customers into staying on with them for longer by telling them lies!?

I now have an outstanding eircom bill which is not correct as it is not for the amount that was agreed by Eircom on 7th May.

This bill will only be paid when eircom set me up with the offer that was agreed to on 7th May as if I was told the truth by Eircon back then i would not be a customer and would have owed them nothing!!
    Hi foggy_lad

No problem, I will send you an e-mail.

I received an outline of a call. As I advised I just want to advise you what information I received and given the situation and see if that was agreeable to you.

I understand the circumstances as the were outlined to you. I hope you appreciate sometimes it is easier to discuss an issue with a customer and then send a follow up e-mail (as you requested).

I know you felt the discussion was going in a certain direction and chose to terminate the call before I had a chance to respond., or even outline the response you have been requesting over the last week.

[url defaultattr=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u="110969"][/url]I will respond via e-mail.

Mark

• Advertisement

I know you felt the discussion was going in a certain direction and chose to terminate the call before I had a chance to respond., or even outline the response you have been requesting over the last week.

I will respond via e-mail.

Mark
    What direction was the discussion going? From your initial comments it sounded very much like I would be told that the offer was not available and could not be placed on my account despite being offered it and accepting that offer earlier this month. I just found out that Vodafone also offer a deal for €40/month for unlimited broadband and 100 minutes of calls which is more than i would need!

Advertisement