Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Road Signs in the City.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

You are right.

Most people, if asked to guess, would never put Sligo as the 19th biggest town in terms of pop.

It does have all the facilites, as you say, yet former villages / one-street towns have overtaken it in pop.

Example: Newbridge, Celbridge, Balbriggan - I'd say these were small towns 20-30 years ago.

The question then is: why did the pop of Sligo town grow much slower than the pop of county Sligo?

Answer: not enough new houses built in town, too many built in county villages...........

Why: tax breaks - rural renewal tax incentives - too much dev in Tubbercurry / Coolaney / Colooney / Ballisodare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Geuze wrote: »
    You are right.

Most people, if asked to guess, would never put Sligo as the 19th biggest town in terms of pop.

It does have all the facilites, as you say, yet former villages / one-street towns have overtaken it in pop.

Example: Newbridge, Celbridge, Balbriggan - I'd say these were small towns 20-30 years ago.

The question then is: why did the pop of Sligo town grow much slower than the pop of county Sligo?

Answer: not enough new houses built in town, too many built in county villages...........

Why: tax breaks - rural renewal tax incentives - too much dev in Tubbercurry / Coolaney / Colooney / Ballisodare

You're gone away off topic here. The thread is about the ridiculous wording and cost of the new road signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The new signs in the city look good. I know the route already, so don't think it of any benefit to me, but I'm sure it must be to those that don't. Anyway I think a new traffic plan is much needed.

The new signs in the city look good. I know the route already, so don't think it of any benefit to me, but I'm sure it must be to those that don't. Anyway I think a new traffic plan is much needed.
    City :rolleyes: It's a town and it always was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ThingaMeJig

I tend to agree with SprostonGreen...these signs are for visitors, not for the locals..."sher don't we know where we're goin?". Its pretty clear they are trying to get traffic to circulate rather than lock up the town centre. I blame the Spatial Strategy for the term 'City' (there have been 2 brown signs celebrating same on the Dublin and Bundoran approaches to the town for ages). I reckon using the term will give very false impressions to the typical foreign visitor, and might even turn them off coming to 'town' in the first place. I wonder if this loop will change route a bit when (if!) the new CityGate street ever happens...

• Advertisement

One other thought (just after I hit Reply...typical)...like them or not, the litmus test might be when the Fleadh comes to town next year...if they do their intended job, they might well be worth every penny spent on them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Did anyone drive around the Sligo loop.

First time I have driven on some of those roads in years :)

dingding wrote: »
    Did anyone drive around the Sligo loop.

First time I have driven on some of those roads in years :)
    Where does it take you?
    Must update me satnav now that we're a city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

red sean wrote: »
    Where does it take you?
    Must update me satnav now that we're a city :D

Me too. Don't want to get lost in da big shmoke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I thought the definition of a city was a town that has a cathedral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

muddypaws wrote: »
    I thought the definition of a city was a town that has a cathedral.

We have two, A RC and COI one.

:P

Although I also heard that you also require a University amounsgt other critieria, population does not seem to mater in Ireland.

:D

irish-stew wrote: »
    We have two, A RC and COI one.

:P

Exactly, therefore Sligo is a city. :D

muddypaws wrote: »
    Exactly, therefore Sligo is a city. :D

But the Third Level is Sligo IT. Not Sligo University.

:(

irish-stew wrote: »
    But the Third Level is Sligo IT. Not Sligo University.

:(

I've never seen it anywhere except your post that had that as part of the city classification, cathedral, and you're in. :)

Think I might have found The City Core. A new Plaque has been unveiled at the bottom of Market St, but its to mark the Centre of Sligo Town. Seems the Coco also cant quite decide if we are a Town or a City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

City core just sounds immensely stupid, never heard any such thing in any city any in any country, let alone a small town! The signs are unnecessary at best. Why not spend the money on something useful, I could think of a million better ways to spend the money, like put some bins in Doorly Park for people to dispose of dog waste (they make ones that are small and designed so you can't dump household rubbish in it), or a water fountain, or public toilets, put some proper lighting or CCTV in places like Market Yard or Rathbraughan that are getting dodgier every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

When you have towns like Naas, Carlow, Athlone, Portlaoise, Letterkenny all with bigger populations you have to wonder why some people call Sligo a city. I think Sligo makes a very good town but it would be a rubbish city.

Ask 100 people what they understand by 'City Core' and betcha nearly all will tell you its the centre, downtown, etc.

Ask 100 people what they understand by 'City Core' and betcha nearly all will tell you its the centre, downtown, etc.
    What's wrong with simply saying 'Town Centre' ?
    More to the point and less pretentious in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Markiemarkso

I saw this on the website for the Innisfree Vetinary Hospital.

Directions

Approaching Sligo from the South ( N4 dual carriageway) ,take the exit signposted for Sligo(South) , Dromahair, Carraroe (Junction S2). From the roundabout at the top of the sliproad, take the exit signposted Sligo R287. Continue straight through the next roundabout. Follow the road through five sets of traffic lights. At the fouth set of lights follow the signs for town centre. The Hospital is situated on the left hand side, next to Sligo Tyre Centre .

Approaching Sligo from the North ( N15) turn left at the third set of traffic lights (Junction S10) signposted for Sligo(North), at the next junction turn left and follow the signs for the city loop from J5 through to J11 . At Junction 11 veer slightly left ( follow signs for N4,N17, N59) . THe hospital is located 100m from Junction 11 on the right hand side ,next to Sligo Tyre Centre.

Approaching Sligo from the East (N16) proceed straight through the first set of traffic lights signposted for Sligo (North), then follow signs for city loop from J7 through to J11. At Junction 11 veer slightly left ( follow signs for N4, N17, N59) . The hospital is located 100m from Junction 11 on the right hand side , next to Sligo Tyre Centre.

Now try and explain to someone how to get there without using junction numbers and you'll see the difference.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with junction numbers. It's the silly terms like City loop and City core that irk me.
    Totally ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Even the Sligo champion have City on their front page.

And they mention it inside as well. Seen a court case in this weeks issue about someone doing something illegal in the city centre or on such and such a street in the city.

Advertisement