Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaches across the county

Options
  • 21-05-2013 6:01pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Iv taken the South East Coastal Drive a few times when the weather is nice, mainly just to stop at the various beaches and coves along the route. Its hard to pick a favourite, but probably Kilfarrasy. Was there today for an hour or so, so relaxing and calm even with a good few around.

What other beaches do people like along the coast?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is it true that there is a nudist beach out that way?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Funnily enough, I actually heard that before. But I assumed it wasn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Clonea is superb, large enough to avoid prople but small enough not to get lost. Some mighty fine waves there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

Lost on a beach......is that really possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Stradbally is lovely. although baltic due to the river pumping icy water into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

blankAs wrote: »
    Lost on a beach......is that really possible?

I didn't mean it literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Kilmurren is under-appreciated IMO. When the tide is on it's way in there are few better beaches.. especially if you're bringing children along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

When I saw the name of this section I was going to ask a question like you have. Was I dreaming or did I read someplace some while back now that there was plans to have a section of Whiting Bay or a small beach near it become a nudist beach.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mugser wrote: »
    Kilmurren is under-appreciated IMO. When the tide is on it's way in there are few better beaches.. especially if you're bringing children along.

Isn't Kilmurren in Cork?

If I am listing them correctly, and in order, we have the following beaches;
    - Dunmore East,
    - Tramore,
    - Kilfarrasy,
    - Annestown,
    - Boatstrand,
    - The one just after Boatstrand on the side of the road (don't know the name),
    Bunmahon,
    Stradbally (cant recall the name of the beach, its very small),
    Clonea,
    Ardmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Sully wrote: »
    Isn't Kilmurren in Cork?

- Dunmore East,
    - Tramore,
    - Kilfarrasy,
    - Annestown,
    - Boatstrand,
    Bunmahon,
    Clonea,
    Ardmore.

Yeah - that's Kilmurrin cove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Sully wrote: »
    Isn't Kilmurren in Cork?

- Dunmore East,
    - Tramore,
    - Kilfarrasy,
    - Annestown,
    - Boatstrand,
    Bunmahon,
    Clonea,
    Ardmore.

Doesn't Woodstown count?

Yeah - that's Kilmurrin cove.

Ah very good. Didn't know that!
    padraig.od wrote: »
    Doesn't Woodstown count?

It does and what a beach. Another favourite of mine. Completely forgot about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

There are a few in between Clonea and Ardmore,

In Ring there are the
    Cunniger
    a small beach down in Baile na nGall on the other side of the pier
    The cove in Helvick

Then in Old Parish there are
    Ballymacart
    Glen Cairn

and at the other side of Glen Cairn there is Ballyquinn ( a fab walk between the two) - heading into Ardmore
    The Curragh
    Ardmore
    Goat Island
    Whiting Bay

fitzcoff wrote: »
    There are a few in between Clonea and Ardmore,

In Ring there are the
    Cunniger
    a small beach down in Baile na nGall on the other side of the pier
    The cove in Helvick

Then in Old Parish there are
    Ballymacart
    Glen Cairn

and at the other side of Glen Cairn there is Ballyquinn ( a fab walk between the two) - heading into Ardmore
    The Curragh
    Ardmore
    Goat Island
    Whiting Bay

Must visit these, never been.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Also one between Annestown and Boatstrand. No idea what its called.

Updated List:

- Dunmore East,
    - Badgers Cove,
    - Portally,
    - Rathmoylan,
    - Ballymacaw,
    - Woodstown,
    - Forenaught,
    - Sawleens
    - Tramore,
    - Newtown Cove,
    - The Pier,
    - Ballyduane,
    - Garrarus,
    - Kilfarrasy,
    - Annestown,
    - Benvoy,
    - Boatstrand,
    - Kilmurrin Cove,
    - Bunmahon,
    - Stradbally (cant recall the name of the beach, its very small),
    - Clonea,
    - Cunniger,
    - Helvick,
    - Ballymacart,
    - Glen Cairn,
    - Ballyquinn,
    - The Curragh
    - Ardmore,
    - Goat Island,
    - Whiting Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

A few on that list I've yet to discover but from what I know it's between Kilfarrassy and Ballyquin for me. Although I have always loved the Cunnigar as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

Ballydwan and Ballyvooney between Bunmahon and Stradbally.

And Tra na mBo immediately after Bunmahon

MetalMan9 wrote: »
    And Tra na mBo immediately after Bunmahon

How do you get to this?

• Advertisement

Access road up the cliff at entrance to Bunmahon beach. Not sure if you can actually get down to the beach. I only ever looked down on it.

I'm looking to put together a list of accessible beaches tho, legally and easily. :)

Sorry, I missed where that was stipulated. I thought it was pretty beaches and as far as I know there's a right of way up that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mullaj00

White Strand, The Cove and Abbeyside Strand. All in Abbeyside.

Sorry, I missed where that was stipulated. I thought it was pretty beaches and as far as I know there's a right of way up that road.

Must take a gander. Thanks.

I'd say I have duplicates in my list, shame we don't have a complete list already!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

Tra na mbo or 'willies rock' is a deadly beach. if ya have balls ya can climb up the cliff on the right a bit, get through a little hole and get to a totaly secluded amazing beach, totaly trippy place over there. i do recall a good session out there some years ago where ropes were produced from a van and someone proceeded to absail down the cliff on the left, good night had there!
    dont be telling tourists about these places, at least when tramore is packed we can get out of town and head for a different beach and not have to put up with dirty nappies, terrible music blasting from radios and other such unsociable behaviours.

Latest List, again, if there are duplicates or beaches missing let me know. The list should only contain beaches that are accessible by road. I am hoping this list is in the correct order. I would really appreciate if people could point out any mistakes!

- Dunmore East,
    - Badgers Cove,
    - Portally,
    - Rathmoylan,
    - Ballymacaw,
    - Woodstown,
    - Forenaught,
    - Sawleens
    - Tramore,
    - Newtown Cove,
    - The Pier,
    - Ballyduane,
    - Garrarus,
    - Kilfarrasy,
    - Annestown,
    - Benvoy,
    - Boatstrand,
    - Kilmurrin Cove,
    - Bunmahon,
    - Ballydwan,
    - Ballyvooney,
    - Clonea,
    - White Strand,
    - The Cove,
    - Abbeyside Strand
    - Cunniger,
    - Helvick,
    - Ballymacart,
    - Glen Cairn,
    - Ballyquinn,
    - The Curragh
    - Ardmore,
    - Goat Island,
    - Whiting Bay.

What was wrong with Stradbally?

What was wrong with Stradbally?

The Beach in Stradbally is apparently Ballyvooney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

between the cuinnegar and helvick there is baile na ngall.

Advertisement