Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaches across the county

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

Sully wrote: »
    The Beach in Stradbally is apparently Ballyvooney?

According to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ballyvooney is the one to the left as you go into Stradbally square, the big beach is down the road to the right and turn into what looks like someone's garden - love that beach.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

MetalMan9 wrote: »
    According to?

Below.
    looksee wrote: »
    Ballyvooney is the one to the left as you go into Stradbally square, the big beach is down the road to the right and turn into what looks like someone's garden - love that beach.

Thanks, wasn't aware there were two beaches. :)

Not sure what "According to Below'" means seeing as they're agreeing with me. Maybe you're not local so apologies for expecting you to know Waterford. FYI Stradbally is one of the most prominent beaches in the county.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not sure what "According to Below'" means seeing as they're agreeing with me. Maybe you're not local so apologies for expecting you to know Waterford. FYI Stradbally is one of the most prominent beaches in the county.

I'm local and I have frequently went to many of the beaches listed, but I didn't know them all and I was wrong about the location of the beach in stradbally. I assumed it was only the one, the poster I quoted named. Lots more beaches I have been missing out on I look forward to visiting. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

What about Passage Strand, Councillors Strand and Caliso bay, also im not quiet sure what the beach below Geneva barracks is called some may argue its a continuation of woodstown to passage but I have heard it of it been refered to by its own name in the past.

Isn't Caliso bay in Youghal?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Sully wrote: »
    Isn't Caliso bay in Youghal?

I had forgotten about that one, it's in Co Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Sully its not rocket science is it...

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,650697,598632,4,10

you can even post a link back asking for local information for example this is Stradbally cove - the beach at Stradbally

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,636985,596958,4,1

on a discovery series map with a Wind Report overlay

The two large numbers in the URL are the grid reference of the red cross in the center of the map, but they can be a few meters out for some reason between the actual paper maps and the online versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hobo!

blankAs wrote: »
    Tra na mbo or 'willies rock' is a deadly beach. if ya have balls ya can climb up the cliff on the right a bit, get through a little hole and get to a totaly secluded amazing beach, totaly trippy place over there. i do recall a good session out there some years ago where ropes were produced from a van and someone proceeded to absail down the cliff on the left, good night had there!
    dont be telling tourists about these places, at least when tramore is packed we can get out of town and head for a different beach and not have to put up with dirty nappies, terrible music blasting from radios and other such unsociable behaviours.

Think I was there for that session....Did one fella get stuck for a while halfway up the cliff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

looksee wrote: »

Ballyvooney is the small cove with the metal hull of the shipwrecked Cirilio Amores that you can climb on at low tide.

eirator wrote: »
    Sully its not rocket science is it...

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,650697,598632,4,10

you can even post a link back asking for local information for example this is Stradbally cove - the beach at Stradbally

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,636985,596958,4,1

on a discovery series map with a Wind Report overlay

The two large numbers in the URL are the grid reference of the red cross in the center of the map, but they can be a few meters out for some reason between the actual paper maps and the online versions.

Well perhaps its not rocket since for you, but I didn't think of looking at a map and looking at the first link isn't showing me the beaches. The second link isn't showing anything.

So I would like to go on local knowledge. Sorry if that upsets you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Lads can anyone recommend which of those beaches near enough to Tramore would be suitable to push a buggy on and let a toddler play around on some decent sand? Kilfarrasy?

If you go to the far end (from Tramore) of Annestown there are paths and concrete but some nice sand for the toddler. Its the favourite end for families, though you are parking on the road. There is a path though to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Hoping for some good advice here. Planning to spend sunday in Waterford County (coming from Tipp). I'm not familar with any of the places mentioned above. I was thinking of starting in Ardmore and driving to Tramore stopping off along the way for a picnic or lunch. Or would we be better driving from east to west?

Would like some recommendations for quiet beaches to chill out on and places to stop along the way for food and sightseeing. No kids and very interested in exploring historic sites so if there are castles, churches etc near any nice beaches that's a bonus. Will definately spend some time in Ardmore.

I think west to east is the best. You'll leave the coast for about 8-10 miles after Ballyvoile (east of Clonea) but from Bunmahon towards Tramore is a lovely drive (particularly nice views of the coastline from the road at Boatstrand). As regards a picnic, I would recommend Stradbally Cove (nice and sheltered and unusual). Garrarus and Kilfarrasy are also nice (both close to Tramore).

I agree about going west to east, the views are better that way. Also look out for Dunhill castle around Annestown, worth a bit of investigation, you need to be reasonable good on your feet though!

Edit: also the copper mine ruins, worth a look - the official ones, there is a car park beside the road, don't wander off to the others, some dangerous shafts afaik.

I think west to east is the best. You'll leave the coast for about 8-10 miles after Ballyvoile (east of Clonea) but from Bunmahon towards Tramore is a lovely drive (particularly nice views of the coastline from the road at Boatstrand). As regards a picnic, I would recommend Stradbally Cove (nice and sheltered and unusual). Garrarus and Kilfarrasy are also nice (both close to Tramore).

Depending on weather and time, if its pissing it down on Sunday you'll get into Stradbally cove but if its a sunny day I wouldn't bother of a weekend, limited parking and bottle neck in and out of the car park. If we get a great summer it won't be so bad but at this time of year when good weather is a real novelty many of the beaches with limited parking will be packed out at the weekends.

One good thing though this Sunday is low tide just after 1pm so if you fancy a long walk you could probably get from Ballyvoile cove (rocky shoreline so no holiday makers and easy parking) along to Ballynacorty and back starting at about 11pm. First 500m across the pebble beach of Ballyvoile cove to the sandy beach is a bit rough but then you have few miles of walking on expansive sands and you'll probably see no more than a couple of people till you get the other side of the castle (a misnomer now as it was never a real castle and washed away in the 1970s).

Ariel view at low tide of the whole walk http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,632592,593491,4,0 start here and if you keep going as long as the sand lasts out around here and further if you want.
    The only thing that stops you doing this at any part of the tide is here near where the old castle was where you can only easily get around at low tide. The sand has washed away a bit recently below the castle so you might have to pick your way over a few rocks sometimes its just plain sand. You can't really get stuck because you can walk back along the road if you really have to.
    You can stop off at the hotel and shops for lunch if your walking, but again in good weather parking is a pain if you drive there.

Clonea castle as it once was and before it was eventually pulled down. Locally I've heard the beach just to the East of the castle called Nuns Beach because Clonea Castle (house) was at one time a retreat belonging to the Nuns (not sure which order).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Bunmahon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Tra na mBó. Must have been after the "infamous" session, ropes were still in place
    257339.jpg

• Advertisement

If you are thinking of going to the beach but can't decide when you could check the local tide times:

Next 7 days Dungarvan Harbour

Next 7 days Dunmmore East

Only a minute or so difference in them but the heights vary a bit more along the coast.

Don't forget to add on an hour for summer time (depending on the time of year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Rathmoylan cove. Lovely little beach, perfect for swimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Has anyone mentioned the Cunnigar. I remember as a young lad many moons ago now, I used to visit it a lot. There used to be a woman come there almost every day, and walk out towards the Cunnigar. When she came in, she used to head for the rocks to the right of the car park, strip off into her swim gear, go for a swim, come in and go behind the rocks again and then head home. There is also a quiet enough beach at Helvick. Instead of turning left to go down towards the pier, if you turn right up past the toilets, there was a small opening. If you head down the path there was a small beach down there. I don't know what way the path down to it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Black Suir wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the Cunnigar. I remember as a young lad many moons ago now, I used to visit it a lot. There used to be a woman come there almost every day, and walk out towards the Cunnigar. When she came in, she used to head for the rocks to the right of the car park, strip off into her swim gear, go for a swim, come in and go behind the rocks again and then head home.

Wow. That story about a beach where someone used to swim most days sounds intriguing, I know of a hurling field where someone pucks around most days, and a church where someone goes to mass most days. It's mad, Ted. :D

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Drove to Ardmore and looked around St. Declans' and the Round Tower. Nice beach in the village and restaurants so will definitely be back.

Stopped a few places between Ardmore and Dungarven but most beaches were pebbles. Took us ages to find something to eat in Dungarven as nearly everywhere was closed.

Stradbally Cove looked nice but lots of cars so headed on to Bunmahon which was great. Nice sandy beach and parking close by. Even at 6pm it was very hot.

Annestown was rocky as well but very sheltered though there were about 4 black bags of rubbish beside the bin so not the most scenic.

Went into Tramore on the way home around 8pm to get ice-cream and get stuck in a traffic jam. It's exactly as I remember it from years ago, all noise, kids screaming and garish shop fronts.

Next time there's a hot day I'll head straight to Bunmahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Spent Thursday - Sunday in Waterford and all I have to say is what a f**king county we have and so many don't know about it (including the natives).

Spent Thursday in Dunmore - it's a glorious place as everyone knows.
    Did the Coast Road on Friday all the way to Clonea. Stopped at Stradbally too. Fabulous places. The drive was magnificent.
    Went to Passage and got the ferry to Duncannon on Saturday. Wonderful little spot even if it's in Wexford...
    Drove the Coast Road to Ardmore yesterday. Magnificant beach and spent a couple of hours outside the Round Tower Hotel where they had some decent live music.

Breaks my heart to see Waterford on its knees at the moment especially when we have so much on the doorstep. There is so much untapped potential. Even my missus, a Dub, was stunned by what we have. Coming back to Dublin yesterday was tough. They don't have much up here to compare and it all ends up packed at the first sight of sunshine because there are so many people and so few quality beaches and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Meathlass wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Drove to Ardmore and looked around St. Declans' and the Round Tower. Nice beach in the village and restaurants so will definitely be back.

Stopped a few places between Ardmore and Dungarven but most beaches were pebbles. Took us ages to find something to eat in Dungarven as nearly everywhere was closed.

Stradbally Cove looked nice but lots of cars so headed on to Bunmahon which was great. Nice sandy beach and parking close by. Even at 6pm it was very hot.

Annestown was rocky as well but very sheltered though there were about 4 black bags of rubbish beside the bin so not the most scenic.

Went into Tramore on the way home around 8pm to get ice-cream and get stuck in a traffic jam. It's exactly as I remember it from years ago, all noise, kids screaming and garish shop fronts.

Next time there's a hot day I'll head straight to Bunmahon.

Was it late at night or early in the morning you stopped off, because most places in Dungarvan where you can buy food (cafe's- Hotel's etc) those in charge of them would nearly sell their mother if it means that the till gets to be opened.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Was it late at night or early in the morning you stopped off, because most places in Dungarvan where you can buy food (cafe's- Hotel's etc) those in charge of them would nearly sell their mother if it means that the till gets to be opened.

It was half one on a Sunday afternoon. The Chinese and Indian on the quays were open but seemed a bit hot for something like that. There were a couple of pubs as well but didn't really want to sit inside. In the end we went to Merry's Gastropub opposite The Tannery which was lovely. Def recommend it.

I suppose my point is that there was nothing in the town to make us linger. We saw the 'Nude' cafe, a nice ice-cream parlour, several coffee shops and a few artisan shops where we would have browsed and bought but all were closed. Compare that to Ardmore where everything was open and a great vibe but Dungarven was deserted.

Just want to give my first impressions of the town as a tourist as I know there's a lot of debate on this forum about Waterford tourism.

Advertisement