Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Zoo

Options
  • 21-05-2013 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Heading upto the zoo this Saturday, Its the first time I've been since I was a child and I was wondering how long it would take to go around and see a bit of everything. I see the zoo closes at 6 and I'm travelling from Waterford so what time would I wanna be getting there at to see a bit of everything?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

If it's a nice day it could be very busy, someone mentioned here if you book on line it helps to skip the queue which can be very long.

We bring drinks and sambos and stop at the picnic area usually spend about 3 hours going around.

3 hours is good to see everything, be aware they shut some of the exhibits like the aviary and the reptile house before closing time. Each exhibit should have a closing time listed. African Plains too, if I recall correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I'd say get there by 12pm if you can, 1pm at the latest to give yourself plenty of time. If the weather is good, there will likely be a queue at the ticket gate. I go to the zoo every few weeks (I'm obsessed with the red pandas!) and once I had to queue for about 20-25 mins on a hot June Saturday afternoon. However, usually the queue will only take 10mins max for a standard weekend afternoon and often less than that. It'll take a good 2 - 2 1/2 hours to see everything at a leisurely pace and 3 hours is a good time estimate if you stop for a snack/picnic/etc. So arriving by 1pm should give you loads of time to see everything and factors in potential time for a queue aswell :)

Have fun! Dublin Zoo is a great spot, you'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

book tickets online and you don't have to join the main queue. Much easier way of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Konata wrote: »
    I'd say get there by 12pm if you can, 1pm at the latest to give yourself plenty of time. If the weather is good, there will likely be a queue at the ticket gate. I go to the zoo every few weeks (I'm obsessed with the red pandas!) and once I had to queue for about 20-25 mins on a hot June Saturday afternoon. However, usually the queue will only take 10mins max for a standard weekend afternoon and often less than that. It'll take a good 2 - 2 1/2 hours to see everything at a leisurely pace and 3 hours is a good time estimate if you stop for a snack/picnic/etc. So arriving by 1pm should give you loads of time to see everything and factors in potential time for a queue aswell :)

Have fun! Dublin Zoo is a great spot, you'll love it.

Would you not get an annual pass , great value , and no queuing .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Would you not get an annual pass , great value , and no queuing .

I got a bunch of passes for Christmas as a present that were bought for a reduced rate with Tesco Clubcard points. Unfortunately, you have to queue up with them but I normally go when it's quiet so it's not a big deal. I'm also leaving the country for a year in a few months so it wasn't worth buying an annual pass.

That June day I had to queue was the first time I'd been there. Luckily it hasn't been as bad since!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ah the Zoo is great.

We went last July but unfortunately it bucketed down and we had to cower for shelter beside the tigers............not BESIDE them, if you know what I mean, there was glass separating us!

We had to cut our trip short because the rain was so torrential-must try and get back out there soon

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Anyone got any recommendations for bars/restaurants in the area? Or would I be better off hopping on a Luas and heading up Bar Italia direction?

Hole in the wall on Blackhorse ave is a good pub with good grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

nudger wrote: »
    Hole in the wall on Blackhorse ave is a good pub with good grub.

Is it a good shout if you're trying impress? ;)

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »

It's a nice spot, old world feel, open fires, old bog wood tables, if you haven't been before it's well worth a look.

The food is high quality bar food served in casual surroundings.
    There is a restaurant style room at the other end of the long pub but the end of the pub by the pedestrian exit/entrance is the place to be.

Bar Italia is nice though and probably closer to home too.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

cson wrote: »

I think so. A nice feature is that you can buy a wine from their off licence and drink it with your food in the pub. So you can get a really nice wine for off sale prices. The only problem is that there isn't much else around it. You could just jump in a cab to town for a few drinks after eating though I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

nudger wrote: »
    We bring drinks and sambos and stop at the picnic area usually spend about 3 hours going around.

Bringing your own food is very wise - the food in the Zoo is pretty bad (overpriced chips, chicken nuggets etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

But worth it to see the meercats!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

But worth it to see the meercats!! :)

Ah yeah - I usually just duck into the meercat restaurant and have a cheeky goo out the window without buying anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

Couple of questions, I have not been to Dublin Zoo for quite a few years and noticed on Google Maps that there is a car park close by now on a road off 'Chesterfield Avenue' (last time I was there just had to park on grass verge on the 'North Road'), any advice as to how quickly the park fills up on a weekday morning? (I hope to get there around 9:30/10am depending on traffic). Also, I have pre-booked eTickets and was wondering is there a separate queue or entrance for them?

Thanks for any replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Couple of questions, I have not been to Dublin Zoo for quite a few years and noticed on Google Maps that there is a car park close by now on a road off 'Chesterfield Avenue' (last time I was there just had to park on grass verge on the 'North Road'), any advice as to how quickly the park fills up on a weekday morning? (I hope to get there around 9:30/10am depending on traffic). Also, I have pre-booked eTickets and was wondering is there a separate queue or entrance for them?

Thanks for any replies.

you should be ok for parking. there is only the main windows at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

Many thanks for the Info, just have to hope weather is kind for (probably) Thursday :)

Advertisement