Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand

• 21-05-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi guys,
    New to this so hope it works.. Myself and the boyfriend are heading to NZ and just looking for advice.. What we have booked so far is flights over at the end of August and a small motorhome (converted car really) for two months, for these 2 months we plan to see as much as we can and get in as much as possible. The plan after that might be to settle down somewhere for their summer and pick up some casual work for 5 - 6 months. On the way back to Eire we would be looking to stop off in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc for a month or 2..
    So what I'm looking for is suggestions of
    1. What's a must see...
    2. Best place to settle in NZ for a few months..
    3. How much money we might need if anyone has done anything similar..
    4. Any advice AT ALL really!

Thanks in advance!!!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

Hey Qwerty.

My sister and I are heading to NZ aswell towards the end of June. We are spending about 2 weeks or so in Malaysia and Thailand on the way over. It will be winter when we arrive in NZ so want to soak up a bit of sun before we get there. :)

We are going on a 1 year WHV. We have secured part time jobs in a ski resort for the winter season, which i am very relieved about! We were kind of in the same situation as you first off, we didn't know what area to base ourselves in when we got there, but now that we have got jobs, it kind of solves that problem.
    In the North Island, i have been told that New Plymouth is a lovely town (and it looks it aswell). In the South Island, Nelson is a lovely town aswell and the gate way to the Abel Tasman National Park which is a much see!

We were in NZ a few years ago for 2+ months and travelled around both islands. There is so much to see and do! Its an amazing country!

Must see's:
    South Island- Abel Tasman NP, Akaroa (beautiful little town near CHCH, Kiakoura (seaside town-swin with dolphins), Queenstown (AMAZING-tons to do there) Wanaka, Milford South cruise (breathtaking), Franz Josef glacier!

North Island- I didn't particular care for the big cities,preferred smaller towns.
    Napier (lovely art deco town), Taupo (skydiving,bungy) Rotorua (smelly town with lots of hot springs) Whitianga (Coromandel Peninsula) stunning place!!
    They were a few of my high lights but there was plenty more aswelll!

As regards spending money, when i was first there, i spent thousands, and i mean thousands!! But we weren't working and were doing every activity and day trip under the sun! I had some savings and basically blew them (but it was so worth it). Gonna be a lot wiser this time!!
    NZ isn't cheap, budget about 30dollars each for private room in hostel and 18-20 dollars each for dorms (i'm sure you might find cheaper than this, just they prob wont be great!)

Ok i am gonna stop now, cause i could go on and on and on!!!!
    If you want to know anything else, please ask!!
    Amy

• Registered Users Posts: 32 qwerty88

Hello Amy,
    Thanks for the reply. That's great about the jobs in the ski resort.. I would love it! What will ye be doing? Love skiing myself. Thanks for all the tips on what to do and see. I'l make sure to print them off. What activities and day trips did ye do?
    Have ye been to Thailand and the rest of the countries before? Any advice on them? Things to see / money / etc.
    Thanks for all the help.

No havent been to any of SEA before so looking forward to it. We are just spending a few nights in Kuala Lumpur and then going up to the islands in Thailand. We dont have much time so just gonna take it easy.

We will be working in the bar/cafe on the slopes. I have never been skiing before but you get free lessons so am gonna give it a go. haha!

We did loads in NZ. Too many to mention. Highlights were Skydiving in Taupo and Glenorchy (Queenstown). They cost roughly $250 each and if you want to get video of it,its usually double that price! That was nearly 7/8 years ago now though!

Defo do a cruise on the Milford Sound. Its breathtaking. Fiordland itself is like a scene straight out of Lord of the Rings.

We did full day hike up Franz Josef Glacier (scary but brill)

Abel Tasman National Park is fab, we went kayaking around it

The Coromandel Peninsula is beautiful aswell.

I went horse riding aswell few times (love my horses)

Did Bungy in Taupo (scariest thing ever)

We had no plan in place when we got there, you hear alot from word of mouth and brochures in every hostel. Transport is very good over there, its so easy to get from A-B! NZ is just amazing. you are gonna have a fab time! I cant wait to get back there!
    Amy

Ya I love the look of those Islands in Thailand... Look AMAZING!!! Can't wait to see all of SEA..
    Oh you'll have a ball skiing.. I just love it.. Can't wait to get over there now..
    We have a motor home rented for over there.. Have you any experience on them, or campsites~??
    Thanks for all your advice!

I havent any experience of them to be honest, we just bused everywhere, but there meant to be a great way off getting around. Think fuel is cheap enough over there aswell. NZ is a very outdoorsy place so i think you will have no shortage of camping grounds etc. Its seems like it would be easy enough to drive over there too.

Am really looking forward to going over there now. One thing im really struggling with is travel insurance for the year. Have ye looked in to travel insurance yet or is that a bit early on in the planning?

Amy

• Advertisement

No I'm afraid not.. Have not even thought of it to be honest. But let me know who you go with for insurance! Thanks.

Advertisement