Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

golden pheasant problem

• 21-05-2013 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Well all a problem with a golden pheasant here. He became very lame all of a sudden disevening, just jumping on one leg. He looked 'puffed' up and is not eating. We checked his feet and didnt see anything wrong from the outside anyway,anyone any ideas what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

dont know anything about golden pheasants, but if a hen is 'puffed up' it because she isnt feeling well. Is his head 'sunken' into his neck if you know what I mean? another symptom of illness in hens
    If hes suddenly lame probably pulled something (common enough) - can you confine him in a cage, put some old towels with a warm (not hot) hot water bottle underneath - let him rest it. (this is for hens again)
    Beautiful birds Golden Pheasants

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Thanks very much for the quick reply.I probably should have clarified that its a cock bird. I dont think he should be confined to a cage as any stress could make him worse. Your right about the head sunk in and hes not eating at all. He looks dull also but his leg looks to have no power in it but we dont think its broken,guess we'l see how he is in the morning but its not looking great..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Again for chickens - if hes not eating, some sugar water (tablesp sugar dissolved in cup water/cooled and syringed into his beak if necessary -) will give him some energy. You could try to tempt him with a little bit of high protein food - tinned fish in oil?

Sudden loss of use in a leg is very common in hens - a nerve I think - something to do with scratching or perching - but hopefully its just a sprain/strain/bruisev with your boy.

You could look at a website called DOWNTHELANE.NET, there is a Poultry/bird health section that is very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Anob thanks very much for your replies. My brother brought him to a vet today who said his leg is dislocated. He give us painkillers and said to bring him back in 5 days and if hes no better then he will have to be put down. Guess theres not a lot that can be done. Thanks very much anyway :)

Advertisement