Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam Letters

Options
  • 21-05-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭

I got a similar one of these about a month ago and thought nothing of it. Now a second one. Both of which are pretty poorly slapped together phishing scams, but they originate out of the UK, and this is the only EU website I still visit. So I'm wondering if other boardsies have seen this in their email or similar cries of help to an ECDL instructor? They are sent as an attached .docx from addresses like <nokiaprizeoffer@libero.it> subject "to undisclosed recipients" no body text

254895.PNG
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Typical 419 crap-I'd imagine it has more to do with the ease with which information on US citizens, such as postal addresses can be accessed online, rather than the fact that you frequent(ed) sites on this part of the world.

It's almost certainly Nigerian in origin anyway, expats* or otherwise. They still represent the bulk of this kind of rubbish, with honourable mentions for the Ivory Coast, South Africa, Romania and some parts of the former Soviet Union. The latter places being more geared toward phishing than outright fake lotteries etc.

(*A new phenomenon which cropped up some years ago was 419 scams originating from the likes of London, Amsterdam, and Dublin. Which was nice.)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Figured, but I wanted to see if there might be a boards correlation so I threw it up to see if someone recognized it

Advertisement