Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Part set entry time

Options
  • 21-05-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I have a HKC alarm and I can't see how to set the entry time on the part guard to 0sec. I have the front door set up as entry exit, which is fine for full set, but I use the part guard option at night and I'd prefer if the alarm went off straight away if someone broke in through the front door.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its in Engineer > System Options Menu > PGuard Opts
    PGA Exit Time & PGB Exit Time

• Registered Users Posts: 5 topher08

Thanks but its the entry time I'm trying to change, not the exit time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Option your looking for is called Entry/Exit to Alarm in PG . I don't think HKC gives this option

• Registered Users Posts: 5 topher08

Ok thanks for the reply. A few of the houses on our street have been broken into via the front door, and each time the thieves have got in and out in 30 seconds. So they're gone by the time the alarm actually starts going off.

Seems strange that HKC don't have an option to change this.

A work around. Using spare cores wire in a second contact on the front door and wire it into an alarm zone(Say existing lounge or other normal alarm zone). Wire this through an normal on off switch. When the switch is on it shorts out this contact keeping it closed. When the switch is off (at night time ) this zone will activate instantly if the door opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

topher08 wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the reply. A few of the houses on our street have been broken into via the front door, and each time the thieves have got in and out in 30 seconds. So they're gone by the time the alarm actually starts going off.

Seems strange that HKC don't have an option to change this.

If it is the Securewave you have installed then it can be set up as PG A/B entry/exit to alarm in the partset options menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I'd shorten your entry time . Mines only 15 seconds and I don't feel the need to rush and turn it off . Put a shock sensor on the front door and when they try and force the door the entry time will start before they get in . To avoid any false alarms set gross to 5 and pulse to 5 .

I would not use a shock sensor on a front door unless there is a porch door or the likes outside it. a rough postman or someone knocking on the door or the frame will activate it needlessly.

All the houses around here have shocks on the front doors . If you find you are having problems with false alarms just adjust the gross and pulse setting .
    Better than a Light switch IMO :)

The norm is a contact. Even setting a shock at 9 9 the alarm will activate if someone knocks on the door or the frame. Most experienced installers I know would not install shocks on a front door.
    Picture this scenario...
    You have a wooden door and wooden frame. Someone rings the door bell but doesn't hear it.The first reaction is to rap oon the door or the window beside it.
    Also the post man delivering a large envelope and trying to squeeze it in the letter box will also give problems.
    Most places I come across sensors on a front door the Bell box is blank.
    Thats either a diy job, an electrician or a new or unexperienced installer.
    The work around with the second contact would give the poster the best solution IMO.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    The norm is a contact. Even setting a shock at 9 9 the alarm will activate if someone knocks on the door or the frame. Most experienced installers I know would not install shocks on a front door.
    Picture this scenario...
    You have a wooden door and wooden frame. Someone rings the door bell but doesn't hear it.The first reaction is to rap oon the door or the window beside it.
    Also the post man delivering a large envelope and trying to squeeze it in the letter box will also give problems.
    Most places I come across sensors on a front door the Bell box is blank.
    Thats either a diy job, an electrician or a new or unexperienced installer.
    The work around with the second contact would give the poster the best solution IMO.

What kind of sensors are you using in your installations ? They sound dodge .they post man must be hammering packages through your door ..
    I've all mine set to gross 4 and pulse 4 bar the front door that's set to 5 - 5 .
    Even at 4 and 4 it takes a good blow to trip them . I've PVC doors and windows and so do most houses down here. mostly mac , Whoirskey and a few Altor bells . No phonewatch ones at all ....... Someone must be giving bad press about them ;)

If at 4 4 it take a fair hammering then it's your sensors I'd be looking at.
    In my experience inertia on front doors are bad news. If your experience tells you different go ahead. I base this on 1000s of installations. Not sure what your basis is?

Op if houses are being broken into via the front door placing an inertia it will be the best option . If you happen to be unfortunate enough that it causes you trouble then you can simply wire it to be Reed only . I like to know before they get into the house which is what putting the inertia on the door will allow you to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Shocks on front doors can cause trouble. I personally avoid them on doors unless there's some side panels of glass which could facilitate an entry.

The OP wanted the Entry Exit to become alarm in part set. A shock sensor will still not facilitate this . But it will cause issues.
    The second contact will do what the OP wants,
    If there is an external porch door by all means use an inertia on the inner one. As you do more installs TB you will understand these issues better.
    A system that false alarms can be more damaging to your security as it will be ignored more.

Advertisement