Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Dialler Issue

Options
  • 21-05-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I have a Securewave with Dialler on a UPC Router. Worked fine for a few weeks , then out of the blue a Line fault appears . Literally happened as I was walking by the display unit so I know noone was near it. My guess is its something like the dialler holding the line open or simlar as the normal phone stops working when connected (analog splitter). Normal phone working fine when plugged in directly. HKC plugged in directly still gives line fault.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you a meter to measure if you are still getting the line at the panel?
    It may be a connection at the splitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

KoolKid wrote: »
    Have you a meter to measure if you are still getting the line at the panel?
    It may be a connection at the splitter.

Thanks.
    Have tried different splitter and also took the splitter out of the equation , same thing. Is there a way of resetting the dialler board ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could try power it down and up again. But the first this I would be checking is if the line is getting to the digi. A multi meter is the best way to check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks.
    Have tried different splitter and also took the splitter out of the equation , same thing. Is there a way of resetting the dialler board ?

Only in engineer mode.

Have you given the system line priority from the UPC?

By this I mean the line from UPC to DTV (A/B) then back out (C/D) to phones in the house.

Not sure about the line priority , although I have just ran the cable directly without a splitter and got the same issue. Im going to do a cable test although given that it happened out of nowhere its unlikely unless there is a break somewhere in the cable.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Is this a ready made cable or one you made up?
    it should be very east to establish when the line is going as far as using a multi meter measuring the DC current.

Not sure about the line priority , although I have just ran the cable directly without a splitter and got the same issue. Im going to do a cable test although given that it happened out of nowhere its unlikely unless there is a break somewhere in the cable.
    Thanks

Have you tried activating the alarm system to see if you get a call?

Yes , and there was no joy . I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.
    I had a registered installer put it in less than 6 months ago , so I think ill get them back out to have a look rather than mess too much with it myself. I have a length of phone cable that ive topped at one end and I'll get them to use this to test if its the line or not .
    Thanks for all the advice.

The quickest way to diagnose is to check the status of the line using a multi meter. This will confirm whether the line is getting to the dialler or not.
    Either that or get the installer back. As it's only installed 6 months there should be no charge for this.

Yes , and there was no joy . I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.
    I had a registered installer put it in less than 6 months ago , so I think ill get them back out to have a look rather than mess too much with it myself. I have a length of phone cable that ive topped at one end and I'll get them to use this to test if its the line or not .
    Thanks for all the advice.

If you are having issues you should get the installer back rather than going at it yourself if it is still under warranty. It could be either the cable or the DTV itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Asec

Get your registered engineer back to switch off the line monitoring setting in engineering mode. I have come across a similar fault myself and this done the trick.

Advertisement