Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with signing over lease

Options
  • 21-05-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am 6 months into a years lease and found out a few weeks ago that I am being let go from work in the next few days. I emailed the landlord at the start of May to inform them of this and that I would be forced to leave the house as even if I was to sign on to social welfare until I find another job, the money I make from this would not even cover the rent (also rent allowance is not accepted)

I have been advertising the room and it is incredibly difficult to find someone to take the room. It is only a single room but I am paying quite a bit of money for it. I am viewing the house tomorrow to someone who seems quite interested but there is a problem. The girl has moved here on a working permit from the U.S until next year. She is staying with a friend at the moment.

The landlord gave me a list of details they will need from the new person and has stated that they may decline a person who wants to take over the lease if they see fit. One of these details is a PPS number and I worry that perhaps she would not have one since she does not have a residence here?

I have only a short amount of time until the next rent is due (10 days) and I am starting to get really nervous. I have decided that the next person that is interested I will allow to keep my share of the security deposit, so they will be getting a months rent free. We have never had any issues with the landlord and we have even moved dates around to accommodate the landlord which meant some of us were running very low on cash for a while.

I would really like some help here if anyone has any opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

The Landlord cannot unreasonably refuse to you assigning the lease. So if the American girl met all the typical requirements, (working, references, here legally, able to afford the rent) the landlord can't refuse here form soem other reason, eg "She's American".

Best of luck finding someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The Landlord cannot unreasonably refuse to you assigning the lease. So if the American girl met all the typical requirements, (working, references, here legally, able to afford the rent) the landlord can't refuse here form soem other reason, eg "She's American".

Best of luck finding someone.

He would not be refusing her because she is American, but because she has not got a PPSN, necessary for the PRTB registration.

In any case, she probably has a PPSN if she is he working on a visa. Good luck OP.

He would not be refusing her because she is American, but because she has not got a PPSN, necessary for the PRTB registration.

In any case, she probably has a PPSN if she is he working on a visa. Good luck OP.

I was clearly giving a facetious example.

Incidentally I would think that refusing someone because they didn't a PPSN when they were in the Country legally and met all other requirements would be cosidered unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I was clearly giving a facetious example.

Incidentally I would think that refusing someone because they didn't a PPSN when they were in the Country legally and met all other requirements would be cosidered unreasonable.

LL needs tenants PPSN to register the tenancy with the PRTB. Non registration carries a heavy fine. I would think it is entirely reasonable.

LL needs tenants PPSN to register the tenancy with the PRTB. Non registration carries a heavy fine. I would think it is entirely reasonable.

So if you don't have a PPSN you can't lease a property in the State? Nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomob666

Thank you for your help guys.

I have now met with the girl and she was quite happy with the place and I think will be interested. It turns out that she will be receiving her PPS number by Friday.

The issue *now* is that she is not currently employed. She has just moved here and has an amazing qualification in science/medicine, I know she will get a job quickly, but I imagine the landlord will hold this against me.

I have two more viewings tomorrow, getting extremely stressed over the whole issue. With the weekend coming up, if I do have an interested person by Friday it will probably be well into next week by the time the landlord has confirmed they are approving the person, rent being due the 1st of June. Just hoping this can all be worked out.

Advertisement