Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap smartphone recommendations

Options
  • 21-05-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My wife would like a phone that she can use for very light Internet usage- bit of Facebook browsing, very rare checking yahoo e mail and odd bit of Internet.
    Wouldn't use virtually any apps, maybe banking, diet but not many.

There's many cheap ones available- Samsung S 5363 Galaxy Y, HTC desire C, Alcatel One touch 983 etc.
    Looking for prepay, budget about €100, could stretch a bit (like Nokia Lumia 520).
    Any recommendations please?
    Ta,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi
    My wife would like a phone that she can use for very light Internet usage- bit of Facebook browsing, very rare checking yahoo e mail and odd bit of Internet.
    Wouldn't use virtually any apps, maybe banking, diet but not many.

There's many cheap ones available- Samsung S 5363 Galaxy Y, HTC desire C, Alcatel One touch 983 etc.
    Looking for prepay, budget about €100, could stretch a bit (like Nokia Lumia 520).
    Any recommendations please?
    Ta,
    Pa

hard to see past the Lumia 520 in that list. About 130 in Vodafone, maybe cheaper elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't buy an android phone for €100, it'll run like sh1t. Windows phone is a good option as its good on slow single cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Lumia 520

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JimmyTee

Don't buy a cheap smart phone, they are really crap.
    Get a second hand Galaxy S1 for about 80-90 euro, even better try a used S2 it's light years ahead of a new galaxy Y.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

theidiots wrote: »

what a stunning insight. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

CNet have a review up on the Lumia 520, worth a read

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/nokia-lumia-520-review-50010925/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

JimmyTee wrote: »
    Don't buy a cheap android smart phone, they are really crap.
    Get a second hand Galaxy S1 for about 80-90 euro, even better try a used S2 it's light years ahead of a new galaxy Y.

fyp, as that's the distinction that needs to be made. Android needs high specs in order to run well, other smartphone OS's are less demanding.

If you don't want to buy second hand then the Lumia 520 might be your best option, I'm not it's biggest fan but at that budget no other new phone comes close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's many options but for me Nokia is one of the best. I've never had an issue with any of their phones.

I like the 8xx/9xx phones but a 620 should work for the wife.
    http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/05/21/6-reasons-why-ladies-love-the-nokia-lumia-620/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

fyp, as that's the distinction that needs to be made. Android needs high specs in order to run well.

I tend to agree. While I'm androids biggest fan, until manufacturers start putting more than 512mb ram in budget handsets I'd steer clear. Especially for first time users as it will frustrate them.

Windows phone is a very light os, and is very slick on low end hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Simi wrote: »
    I tend to agree. While I'm androids biggest fan, until manufacturers start putting more than 512mb ram in budget handsets I'd steer clear. Especially for first time users as it will frustrate them.

Windows phone is a very light os, and is very slick on low end hardware.

Huawei g510 seems to fit rhe bill. Although 512mb its dual core and runs well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭circadian

The 520 for the other half and 620 for yourself ;-)

For about €300 or so you'll have two solid smartphones that do everything you need them to.

Or you could spend that to get yourself one decent working Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I was wondering if I could get a similar recommendation to the OP, similar usage, but my budget would stretch to about €200 if needs be.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I'm going to throw this one in.... bit left field but I understand most are happy with it, judging by the reviews I've read in French.

Wiko Cink Five - €200 - French badged Chinese phone. Available on Amazon.fr.
    No gorilla glass but apparently a fairly good phone.

There is also the Wiko "Stairway" (5 inch with gorilla glass ~ €280) and a 5.7 inch Wiko "Darkside" (~ €300) coming out in July. I'm very interested in the Stairway. It's physically the same as the Blu Life One (USA) / Micromax Canvas 4 (India). All basically the same generic Chinese phone customised slightly by the end manufacturer.

Anyhow worth a look at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭circadian

Some of the phones I saw about china were pretty nifty, that was one of the brands.

Personally I'd get the Lumia 620 for that cash, still have some cash leftover from €200.

A few mates got them over the last month or so and love them. I plan on upgrading to one at some point, I just get the feeling this 710 will just keep running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Thanks for the replies guys. A couple of more targeted questions, which if anyone had any views on any of the below I'd be delighted:

1. Nokia Lumia 520 v 620 - any important differences there? Does the 620 have anything significant to warrant the higher price?

2. Windows v Android? I see the Nokia phones above are using Windows software, while most of the other phones seem to be using Android. Is either software better or the other, or is it better to stick with the crowd and go with Android?

3. Carphone Warehouse seem to recommend the Sony Experia J - any feedback on that product?

4. Someone else was singing the praises of Huawei, but I don't know much about their reputation myself. If anyone had experience, positive or negative, I'd be interested to hear that.

Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

620 has a flash, better quality screen especially in sunlight (but smaller) full drive+ app with all countries (520 is Ireland and UK) and I think some other settings are missing in some apps and control panels, I don't know the details.

The 520 has the super sensitive screen, (use screen with gloves) the 620 doesn't I think. The 520 has a bigger screen 4" vs 3.8"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

hardybuck wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. A couple of more targeted questions, which if anyone had any views on any of the below I'd be delighted:

1. Nokia Lumia 520 v 620 - any important differences there? Does the 620 have anything significant to warrant the higher price?

2. Windows v Android? I see the Nokia phones above are using Windows software, while most of the other phones seem to be using Android. Is either software better or the other, or is it better to stick with the crowd and go with Android?

3. Carphone Warehouse seem to recommend the Sony Experia J - any feedback on that product?

4. Someone else was singing the praises of Huawei, but I don't know much about their reputation myself. If anyone had experience, positive or negative, I'd be interested to hear that.

Thanks folks.

1. Dont know.

2. Android is bigger, a lot bigger, most phones now run it. Its like the windows of phones, its everywhere. That said, its performance heavy and tends not to run as well on cheap gear. Windows phone however was originally only on single core processors while Android and iOS were using dual cores. This has made it very lightweight so it runs great on cheap phones. If you're spending €300(€200 from amazon.de etc) then android, any less windows phone.

3. Not a great phone, and sony write terrible software so I'd avoid it.

4. They're new on the scene but growing fast. They started with 3G dongles and routers, vodafone use their routers here in Ireland. They generally get very highly reviewed.

The Sony J is a single core. Personally I think a dual core is vastly better on Android. Which is why the Lumia 520 is of interest as very fast at its price point. 109 on O2. I like Sony, but the last few sonys I've owned had some nasty bugs and Sony/02 weren't that quick about fixing them. Once you move to 150 and then 200 you can much better android phones. The Ace 2 second hand is a good phone for about 120. The Huawei G510 is an alternative at 129 I think the camera on the Samsung is better. Closer to 200 you can get a Samsung SII second hand, or a Xperia P. Things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you're on Meteor, the Huawei Y300 seems to be getting a lot of praise. It's dual core and only costs €99

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 paulmc36

The Haier W910 looks like a fairly good phone. It has 1 GB RAM and is dual core but it has Qualcomm SoC which will probably run better than most quad core phones. It also has gorilla II glass, is IPS and Retina Display and has 326 ppi. It looks like a pretty sturdy phone if your willing to go a bit over budget.

http://www.smart-tabletstore.com/Haier_W910_-_Qualcomm_SoC_-_Retina_Display/p1825137_9924694.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

hardybuck wrote: »

Thanks folks.

I've had a 520 for a while now and it's great considering the price my biggest gripe is that the screen is poor in any kind of outdoor situation. I've heard the 620 is better in this regard.
    Also the 620 has the flash, front-facing camera and NFC and global navigation as standard.

I did a review of the 520 here a while back if it's any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

paulmc36 wrote: »
    The Haier W910 looks like a fairly good phone. It has 1 GB RAM and is dual core but it has Qualcomm SoC which will probably run better than most quad core phones. It also has gorilla II glass, is IPS and Retina Display and has 326 ppi. It looks like a pretty sturdy phone if your willing to go a bit over budget.

http://www.smart-tabletstore.com/Haier_W910_-_Qualcomm_SoC_-_Retina_Display/p1825137_9924694.aspx

dropped my lumia 820 down the loo last week and despite trying a new battery it seems to have died. The above looks interesting - do you have any experience of buying from the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 paulmc36

ams wrote: »
    dropped my lumia 820 down the loo last week and despite trying a new battery it seems to have died. The above looks interesting - do you have any experience of buying from the site?

I've bought a tablet in april from them, the Pipo M9, and I've been delighted with it so far! I recieved my tablet within a week and did not have to pay any taxes either. I'm contemplating getting a new phone as well as my galaxy ace is ready for the bin! The Haier would be my preferred choice as it has a qualcomm chipset. Even though it's not quad core it should be pretty fast as no phone really needs to be quad core if you have a good processor.

Hop this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Highly recommend a second hand up market smart phone. Vodafone do their own smartphone but a cheap one can be rubbish you be lucky to get few months out especially for heavy use. You might get away for light use. Htc or nokia lumia or sony or samsung brands are brands to go for cheaper versions i recommend.

The problem with the chinese phones is you can have problems with the play store and updates. Chinese guy at work had a few, and some of issues them. Never tried them myself. 2nd hand is great value. But you can get caught out if someone flogs you a damaged, or blocked one. Buy from someone on adverts with a high no of good sales and it should be ok.

That website doesn't even have a phone number or an address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Arasmpc

Oh please don't support Microsoft...they are the original evil empire. Can't you guys get a Nexus phone directly from Google? That's always your best bet, and they aren't super expensive (at least by my standards) US $299 for an unlocked phone you can use on any network.

You can even get an older Nexus phone, any of them are fine. My DH has the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and it still runs like a top.

As a wife...I do implore you not to cheap out on her phone because that's when you'll be sorry. You get to hear about it. ;)

ams wrote: »

do you not want another 820? if so why not?

• Advertisement

it's 109 on o2 online dunno if talking to an advisor online would get it cheaper.

Advertisement