Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigration - Joe Duffy!

Options
  • 21-05-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Joe Duffy - How not to emigrate!
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20201969%3A53%3A14-05-2013%3A

This is a recording from the Joe Duffy's show about a poor chap "emigrating to Australia".

Although I feel sorry for the guy and his family in a very bad situation, this is a great example of how NOT to emigrate! It is largely his fault for their situation.

These are the reasons why;

1) He moved on a a 457 visa. This is not a permanent visa. You cannot emigrate on this visa and have no guarantees of permanent residency. Is is very risky bringing a family out on this. Especially to a new place that you haven't lived or tried out.

2) He only gave it 3 weeks!! No way is this enough time to make a rational decision.

3) He was on half the money he thought? Did he not have a contract?? If so, and it was broken, the employer should be reported to the appropriate authorities.

4) Things were way more expensive that I thought. More poor researched I reckon! Yea, Australia is expensive! He was lucky his rent was only $360!

5) On a 457 visa you (as an Irish citizen) are entitled to a full medicare rebate so you get that back at the end of the tax year.

6) You do not need private health insurance on a 457 visa. Ireland has a reciprocal agreement which satisfies 457 health condition. (that's not to say you shouldn't though!)

7) 2 year old's do not get homesick! They may be confused at first and take time to adjust to their new surroundings.

8) Yes, it can be lonely at first. You need time to settle and make friends. You need to give it a chance. However, Family is a major factor and is probably the single biggest reason why it is so difficult to emigrate! I can 100% see this as a valid reason to go home.

9) The container story...seriously! That sums it up. Not very well prepared if he couldn't afford to send a container with "sentimental" items you can never get back. And if it was too expensive maybe sell the TV and other accessories and ship the photo's and important things home!

10) I repeat, the 457 visa is NOT a permanent visa!

Thoughts??? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

This lad brought all of this on himself. Just useless.

He did everything wrong from the sounds of it. The container - WTF, TVs with sentimental value?

He is too used to having things handed to him at home....cars, tickets for flights, living in the brother's house....and when he had to do it for himself he couldn't handle it.

All he did was whinge. He could have researched as the second woman said.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Could he not have just took the photos and other possessions of sentimental value out of the container and left all of the large items??

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

That guy didn't do his homework at all. He thought he had it all worked out, he should have gone on a reccy himself before bringing the whole family out. He even admits that at the end. I wouldn't be putting my hand up to go to Rocky in the first place though but that's another conversation.
    Listening to it, I can't stop shaking my head at him. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Listened to that the other day and got very angry at his "efforts". Three weeks? Fuck off with your sob story to be honest, his gear hadn't even arrived and he was on the plane home again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The guy should have logged on to boards! Clearly he had zero research done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

What a clown. Why drag the whole family over before he is setup & has a routine. As far as costing money to do anything with kids, Beach - free, parks - free, bushwalking - free, local govt kids events - free, library - free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

hussey wrote: »
    The guy should have logged on to boards! Clearly he had zero research done.

With some people you could give them loads of advice and they still plough on regardless, in fairness the man was told he was going be paid $100K but ended up being paid $46K.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jessicaxxx

Is this guy serious! Only giving it a few weeks you would just be getting over jet lag, they could have at least give it some time to meet people settle in. he clearly did no research 360 is cheap for rent for a family.
    How can he say there is nothing to do, what about beaches, parks etc. The 2 year old was homesick because he was sitting on the couch watching dvds in the evening is this not what 2 year olds do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Surely his salary was listed in his contract??? Clueless. Absolutely clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Yes, it sounds as if there's more to this story than just a discrepancy in wages/contract. It certainly doesn't sound as if his wife made much effort to integrate, which can't have been easy for the guy himself. Total lack of research, homesickness & a lack of drive.

I don't even know why he was interviewed to begin with, unless he thought that a listener might offer to pay the container fees. He's already been given a car so that might have planted a seed in his head to appeal to the nation for a bailout. Why not I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Anyone else think this reeks of bovine excrement?

The man supposedly signs up for $100k a year and only gets paid half and instead of contacting someone who can do something about it, he ups and bails leaving himself in debt to the tune of $8k?

Is there really anyone THAT stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Batgurl wrote: »
    Anyone else think this reeks of bovine excrement?

The man supposedly signs up for $100k a year and only gets paid half and instead of contacting someone who can do something about it, he ups and bails leaving himself in debt to the tune of $8k?

Is there really anyone THAT stupid?

A little packet of mints would cost $14 :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Photoshop

What part of the country is he from?

His accent is gas.

Loved his Dunphy moment @ 32 secs.

For good, for good .

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

. He's already been given a car.

I cant listen to the show but why was he given a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I actually feel sorry for his family, being put through a load off stress for zilch.
    I don't feel sorry for him, he is an idiot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Three weeks! It took three months to get the chill of Irish climate out of my bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

The last time I listened to Joe Duffy was about 5 years ago. There was a woman on then whinging that she was "at her wits end" because she had 5 investment properties and was struggling to meet mortgage repayments because of the "greedy bankers".

Funnily, I have exactly the same level of sympathy for this clown as I had for her i.e. zero!

holy mother of god, after listening to this i have no sympathy for the man, the man is an imbecile. The epitome of the village idiot. Complaining about getting charged for leaving a container in a place where its not supposed to be held? and seriously did it take for them to go there to realize they were on there on the other side of the world. TV's and sofa's in a container..... mother of god!! Its wasn't cavan you were heading to now man. Strikes me as the kind of guy who would been outraged when he went to the local bar and found out that he couldnt get a pint of guinness and "the premiership" on the tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I always thought that if I set up my own business back in Ireland I'd have a sign on my counter that would say "for complaints, talk to Joe, 1500.....etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Stupid is as stupid does!!!

Sounded to me like he was chancing his arm calling in to see if some generous/foolish listener would pay for their container to be shipped back.

• Advertisement

Stupid is as stupid does!!!

Sounded to me like he was chancing his arm calling in to see if some generous/foolish listener would pay for their container to be shipped back.

the sad thing is someone will probably help him out in some way. If there was a genuine tragedy here I would feel sorry for them maybe even help out if it came to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

danotroy wrote: »
    holy mother of god, after listening to this i have no sympathy for the man, the man is an imbecile. The epitome of the village idiot.

Yeah, but tell us what you thought of the caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

The worst is that he puts all the blame on Australia and not on his own stupidity. Seems to have learned nothing from it. Two year old being homesick takes the biscuit for me!

I hear he's doing well for himself now though, a Nigerian Prince has left him a fortune in his Will...

The worst is that he puts all the blame on Australia and not on his own stupidity. Seems to have learned nothing from it. Two year old being homesick takes the biscuit for me!

I hear he's doing well for himself now though, a Nigerian Prince has left him a fortune in his Will...

sure a packet of mints in a shop would cost you 14 dollars he says. come on ta feck did someone tell you you'd be making 2 grand a week and everything was easy as pie. Oh wait they did apparently but you never researched it. it stinks of hearing about big wages down the pub and setting off in search of an easy life. The thing that im shocked at is the shipping container would irish tv's even work here? and why os he complaining about the storage fees and customs fees? Its like a car being in a pound its not supposed to be there of course they are going to charge a fee for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

"There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum

It's a harsh i know. Who i really feel sorry for is this guys family. They've been through a lot and now the fool goes on national radio pfft

Hopefull he serves as a warning to anyone else who fell off the turnip truck. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Heard this a few days ago. The guy was clueless. Some people when it comes to these things have no sense. A few hours on the net would have saved him a lot of hassle.

Advertisement