Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL or UCC

Options
  • 22-05-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, I'm stuck between UL and UCC, and even thinking of DCU as well, which would you recommend for a better social life/which is more craic? The course I want to do (business international) is almost identical in these three colleges, which is why I am basing my choice one this, I am not only choosing it because of social life, but that is what it has come down to. Also, I know a lot going to DCU but no one going to UL or UCC, will this be a big difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I can't speak for the other colleges, but college is what you make of it. UL is good craic. I love it here and would be reluctant to move anywhere else.

Also, I'd find it best going to somewhere where you don't know anyone (in my own experience) as you've more chances of meeting new people. I find that people who go knowing people, tend to stick with those people for a long time before befriending others.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

More the academic side but something not many leaving certs are aware of, what way are semesters broken down/examinations held/degree counted.

I know Ul business is semesterised with exams at Christmas and Summer. 4 or 5 exams each semester. Normally the degree counts from 2nd year on, thus continous asssesment for 3 years.
    This can be an advantage/disadvantage.

UCC on other hand, nearly all the exams are held at the very end with no christmas exams thus a lot harder exams. Yes you get more study time but still.
    Plus side degree usually begins from a later date , 3rd year I think so only passes are really needed to get to this point.

And dcu then , I have being told a lot of degrees only count in last year, a major advantage in my opinion. One good academic year and you could have a very good degree.

This is something nobody will tell you in my opinion!

Ul is great though and only getting better re all the other stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Also take into account the cost of living in UL is significantly less that cork or dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sg12139793

Hi there,

I am just finished my first year in UL doing International Business (LM056). Having just moved home from the summer, I can say that I miss UL hugely.

I moved to college not knowing anyone, scary at first, but I would recommend it to everyone, you make a lot more friends.

I also do really like the course, the freedom of choice is great and it is pretty unique with regards to business courses in general, giving you an advantage when it comes to finding jobs, UL gives you a 16% higher chance of getting a job than any other Irish university. The course for me will be better from second year, as more business related modules can be chosen.

Another huge advantage is 3rd year, where you have to go international - study abroad/co-operative education.

I'd highly advise UL and International Business.

Advertisement