Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets and sun burn.

• 22-05-2013 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Watch out for this in the coming days while walking your dog or pets that might be outside.

My dog got a little pink near her nose and her ear today with out being out in the sun to long.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It's so important to put suncream on pets, especially cats with white ears. Cream hates us for it but it's better than getting cancer! A kids water proof spf50 is generally recommended. I use la roche posay as it's unsented but it's pretty pricey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

You can get zinc oxide sticks in chemist, they're a total block and not easy lick off. (They're for human use too)
    I put it on out JRTs nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

You can get zinc oxide sticks in chemist, they're a total block and not easy lick off. (They're for human use too)
    I put it on out JRTs nose.

zinc oxide can give dogs gastro problems so be careful. also make sure the sunscreen you use doesnt contain PABA as its toxic to dogs.

I often put a childs t-shirt on my westies to offer some protection as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

zinc oxide can give dogs gastro problems so be careful. also make sure the sunscreen you use doesnt contain PABA as its toxic to dogs.

I often put a childs t-shirt on my westies to offer some protection as well.

Really, I didn't know that. I just use a little above her nose, thankfully it's not effected her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Good info OP. :) Take care of your pets in the heat, too, especially when out walking dogs. They can overheat and get sunstroke much more easily than us humans. I took my dogs out for a short walk at lunchtime and even though it's not that warm and there's a strong breeze, they were a lot more puffed than usual. On warmer days it's a good idea to exercise your dogs first thing in the morning or late in the evening.

• Advertisement

My staffy loves nothing more then to get sun on her belly. She littlerly looks for the sun, lies down on her back with all 4 legs in the air like one of those fainting goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

We've 3 cats and they spend there days in the spare bedroom window enjoying the sun(when it's out), I always put on sunblock on there ears and nose they hate it but you have to look after them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My friends all think I'm mad putting sunscreen on my lot, I have a boxer and I have seen so many with melanomas, it has to be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Having nursed a feral cat this week with squamous cell carcinoma (malignant cancer) of both ears due to repeated sunburn, I can't stress enough the importance of putting sunblock on cats that have white areas on their ears or nose. Poor feral cat had to have both ears amputated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My staffy loves nothing more then to get sun on her belly. She littlerly looks for the sun, lies down on her back with all 4 legs in the air like one of those fainting goats.

My greyhound does that too! Maybe that's why she's half-baked! :D

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    My greyhound does that too! Maybe that's why she's half-baked! :D

Thats what it looks like. There is almost a human element.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mark.Smith90

Some useful tips I found on a blog for looking after your dog in this hot weather. Especially important now that summer is here! Hope it helps :)

Water and Food

A seemingly obvious solution, but one that is essential and easy to forget is to provide a constant supply of water nearby for your dog. A large, low rimmed container is best as it will not need to refilled as often, is more difficult to knock over and can be accessed by dogs of all heights. Keep it in the shade if possible and if you like you could add ice-cubes occasionally to keep it nice and cool for your furry friend, which they may enjoy crunching between their teeth and playing with.

Food can also be used to help your dog feel less hot. Keep sealed cans or pouches of dog food in the bottom of your fridge serve it cool. Adding cold water to dry food is another option that will not only be another cool treat, but can help keep your dog hydrated and reduce the thirst often felt by dogs after consuming dry food.

Environment

Another thing crucial to keeping your canine cool is a shaded area for them to rest in. This could be inside your home, a doghouse or your garage. Trees and large bushes may also provide shelter from the sun.

One way many dogs love to cool down is in a paddling pool or a similar container. They can both sit and splash about in it as well as drink from it. Sprinklers or hoses may also be a good option but some dogs may not be fans.

Avoid having your dog in your car or a conservatory, but if you must keep the windows open as wide as they can be without being an escape route for the ‘Houdini’ dogs out there. Water should also be provided, especially if leaving the dog in a parked car. Leaving your dog in a car for long periods during a hot day is unadvised as it may cause your dog to die

Air-conditioning is a great way to keep a dog cool on a day where there is no wind or if the dog is inside.

Exercise

Limit excessive exercise during the day and on particularly hot days walk your dog in a shady, cool area and avoid hot pavements or roads which may burn the pads of their paws if they aren’t wearing booties and give off a lot of retained heat. Try to mainly walk your dog early in the morning, late in the evening or at night if possible.

Bringing your dog to a beach (where allowed) can be great fun and good exercise for them while keeping cool in the water. Just make sure you bring fresh water and bags for cleaning up after your pooch! A shallow, slow moving river may also be a good option if there is no beach nearby.

Grooming

If the dog has a long or thick coat, bring them to a groomer for a cut or trim, unless you are one yourself, to provide some relief from the heat. If you are a minder make sure you ask the dog’s owner first! Brushing the coat can also remove excess hair to cool them down and is enjoyed by many dogs.

If the dog has short hair, is hairless or has exposed skin and spends time outside during the summer days, applying suncream is advised to prevent sunburn and the uncomfortable heat and pain caused by such burns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Some useful tips I found on a blog for looking after your dog in this hot weather.
    Mark.Smith can you post the reference link to the blogs you quote the next time you post please.

Advertisement