Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djouce walking with a dog?..

Options
  • 22-05-2013 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

The missus and I are planning on heading up the Djouce this weekend so we can try get started with hillwalking.

We have our dog that we would like to bring. Do people normally bring dogs on this route? Are they usually on leads? Is there livestock about?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Yes people do bring dogs and it depends on how well it's trained. There are livestock and deer but also many bird and smaller species in the area so I suppose a lead is required if you think your dog would give in to it's predatory instinct and run off.

Would the dog come back when called under any circumstance? If your answer is no then a lead would be advisable, last thing you want is a farmer shooting your dog or you lossing him forever in low cloud.

I think if going through someone's land a dog should be on a lead, and if farmland ideally not brought at all, unless either is okay with the owner. Having said that, many people do bring them along and blithely ignore common sense and even, in places like Killarney National Park, the many signs showing a pic of a dog on a lead to give them a hint. Not sure if Djouce is an area with sheep but if so we are just after lambing season which might make that particularly relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Fart wrote: »
    Hi guys,

The missus and I are planning on heading up the Djouce this weekend so we can try get started with hillwalking.

We have our dog that we would like to bring. Do people normally bring dogs on this route? Are they usually on leads? Is there livestock about?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

done it best bringing it on a lead big time

Advertisement