Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car theft recovery

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

If it's working in the UK and ticking over, then no reason it can't work here too (provided there is no piece of legislation preventing it in some shape or form, which you may not have come across yet).

You would want to take another look at it all from the perspective of appearing more professional though. If you are emailing insurance company CEOs with no capital letters at the start of your sentences and misspellings here and there, then you just won't get anywhere I'm afraid.

Maybe have someone check over your emails or get a proofreader to review them before you contact these companies. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Emails? Not the way to go in my view. You'd want to be scheduling appointments and making presentations to people.

But has already been said, the basis of the business is shaky at best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

ironclaw wrote: »
    Emails? Not the way to go in my view. You'd want to be scheduling appointments and making presentations to people.

I think he said earlier on that he had used emails as well as the phone to contact the companies. Either way though it's something to watch. If you were doing presentations you'd need to watch your spelling, formatting, etc too.

Sounds like a risky business to be pursuing though regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

greg007 wrote: »
    a web site is been done as we speak cartheftireland.ie
    In your facebook page, get rid of "Joined Facebook Saturday", so only your company creation date shows.

=-=

It's a nice idea, but I'm hoping your business and home security is top notch, as you will be pissing of criminals.

Auto Theft Investigation is a good angle, with the recovery optional.

I'd wonder if Barry Hancock came from the insurance side, so he already had contacts in the business, as opposed to someone like yourself coming in from the cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 greg007

RATM wrote: »
    But where I think there may be trouble for you is on the legal side. The notion of recovering stolen property from a public place is one thing but entering someone's private property to recover a car is entirely another thing and it could see you on the end of a legal claim. So my guess is that in order to recover a car you're going to have to wait for the thief to drive it out somewhere. That could be a really long game of cat and mouse you're playing.

You've also got to think that a lot of the time you might be recovering stolen vehicles from people (like yourself) who got sold a stolen car. If you politely ring their bell and explain they're going to have a hard time believing it and will want to call the local Gardai.

We cant and would never enter any persons house or premises ever to recover any stolen vehicles,thats 100% against the law,we would also never pull drag or take any 1 out of a stolen car if we found them in it,thats against the law for us as a company,it would have to be recovered in a public place,

• Advertisement

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    I can't imagine An Garda Siochana supporting this and I doubt any insurance company would be interested.

A headline in the paper of man gets shot while trying to recover stolen car on behalf of AXA or whomever would not be the kind of advertising they'd be interested in.

At the very least you're putting yourself in harms way in your methods of recovery not ot mention the potential for law suits defamation of character, trespassing. etc

I think you're flirting with vigilantism. Just go into the recovery/repossession business.

when recovering a stolen car its recovered in our companys name not any insurance name, flirting with vigilantism is not our game either lol but funny quote none the less,

MidlandsM wrote: »
    its a non runner, all insurance co's have their own investigation staff to work on cases...

thats correct they do have staff for claims etc but none that would do what we do meaning been on the ground asking day after day group after group person after person,

aman23 wrote: »
    great idea! steal car today, get insurance company to pay you tomorrow.

thats not how it works and wouldnt work,
    no one should take on x criminals to work for them and any 1 with convictions should be shown the gate,

Plenty of negative comment and naysayers on here on this topic. It appears to me that you have sought to model your business on your English pal's model and we have very similar legal and business modus operandi to them.
    Perhaps you need to examine more closely how he is doing his business in the UK and model more directly on his formula/methodology. If it works over there, it is likely to work here.

yes negitive comments is right,if it was them trying it im sure they would think its great idea, yes we have been gaining advice from across the water and will continue to build on it this end and hopefully it will become a success,
    we cant be knocked for trying ey,

We cant and would never enter any persons house or premises ever to recover any stolen vehicles,thats 100% against the law,we would also never pull drag or take any 1 out of a stolen car if we found them in it,thats against the law for us as a company,it would have to be recovered in a public place,

How many stolen cars are parked in a public place? And then, add to that the probability of finding them in a public place? How many are parked long enough in a public place so that you have time to recover them?

Unless someone buys a car second hand that later turns out to be stolen (Again, assuming they don't do a check on the plates beforehand) and you happen to come upon it in a public place (Or are informed) then your market is tiny!

Also, there's very few 'public places' where you could legally (And without hassle) lift a car.

• Advertisement

You cant get direct contact with the recovery teams in insurance companys,no matter what you try,
    only way to make the 1st point of contact is via email, crazy i know but its how it is.

How many stolen cars are parked in a public place? And then, add to that the probability of finding them in a public place? How many are parked long enough in a public place so that you have time to recover them?

Unless someone buys a car second hand that later turns out to be stolen (Again, assuming they don't do a check on the plates beforehand) and you happen to come upon it in a public place (Or are informed) then your market is tiny!

Also, there's very few 'public places' where you could legally (And without hassle) lift a car.

The Facts are,when thieves steal cars,if there not parked in a premises almost straight away then they are parked in estates etc,and trust me when ye offer a couple quid for info then its amazing what turns up,

the_syco wrote: »
    In your facebook page, get rid of "Joined Facebook Saturday", so only your company creation date shows.

=-=

It's a nice idea, but I'm hoping your business and home security is top notch, as you will be pissing of criminals.

Auto Theft Investigation is a good angle, with the recovery optional.

I'd wonder if Barry Hancock came from the insurance side, so he already had contacts in the business, as opposed to someone like yourself coming in from the cold?

yes our security is well in place,im also researching how barry started and have to say is very successfull at what he does,

Two biggest risks for this put it in the 'non runner' category for me anyway:

2) Your dealing with stolen property. You'd want a fairly substantial bond and agreement with the law side of things so you yourself can't be done for having 'hot' property in your possession. You'd also want a very secure warehouse (Considering an army barracks can't stop a group reclaiming a fuel truck)

If you really wanted to get into this business, I'd make a living repo-ing cars from credit defaulters. Probably the same amount of work if not more (Most stolen cars in this country never resurface)

repo work im use to, and you hit the nail on the head when you said
    (Most stolen cars in this country never resurface) this is why we ventured into this side of the buisness,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

greg, will you use multiquote function................!

please keep to the topic, thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Perhaps point out its there or how to use it, might be more helpful than ....!
    please keep to the topic, thanks

Greg it was helpful advice even if put across in an unhelpful manner. There is no need to post 10 replies when you can post one using multiquote. Click the icon with the plus symbol next to quote on each one you want to quote and then click normal quote on the last one and it will multiquote the lot of them in one reply.

Also we have mods here like myself, we dont need you chiming in so leave that to us.

The Facts are,when thieves steal cars,if there not parked in a premises almost straight away then they are parked in estates etc,and trust me when ye offer a couple quid for info then its amazing what turns up,

So bribery will be on your accounting books?

I can see where this is going and the 'idea' is a good one. But you'd need to find a car, confirm it stolen and probably get legal documentation so you could lift it. I know in America this is a great deal easier (A friend of mine is a repo agent in NY) but I think Irish law may be against you or at least there would be so much red tape it wouldn't make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Seems like others have raised some question marks about your site - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056960228

I just had a look at your website also - you should have someone advise on both content and legal requirements if you wish to remain "A Legit Registered Company Who Works Within The Law At All Times"

http://www.odce.ie/en/media_information_notices_article.aspx?article=c951ecd7-f186-41b4-bbbd-3e5d6db81d0b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

I'm not one of the grammer and spelling police, but such errors on a website is unforgivable. The idea has a chance but you need to come across as a professional operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, as keyser above says greg, please please please get someone to proofread your site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Greg - I think the idea has potential, however I think you need to change your tack slightly. Many have pointed out the website doesn't instill trust and confidence in the public and have picked up on grammer/spelling/use of words being used as incorrect and unsuitable - well thats because this whole thing doesn't need to be public facing - you only need to be IN with the insurance companies - forget calling and especially emails to the insurance companies, you need a meeting with the right person in each insurance company operating here. They need to know you are the go-to-guy to retrieve a stolen car - when a car is reported to them and they are facing a payout, they will probably look at the figures involved and decide if its worth going after or not. This will happen when they know you and trust you - calling up saying you found a stolen car, it won't be entertained.

Change to this approach and you might have something. Stay safe, its def. not work that I would take on - and in saying that, there is you gap in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They mostly park the cars in private estates or car parks. You aren't allowed remove from private property so how do you remove it from a private estate? How do you find out if a road is private or public?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Sorry if it has been said already.
    You need to aim this service at the victims. You try to find the car for 2 weeks and charge less than the insurance excess.
    After the 2 week deadline they will get he insurance payout anyway.
    The benefit to you is that they will share all info with you including hearsay that guards can't share.

Advertisement