Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Hitchhiking Event...

• 22-05-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi guys,

In the process of organising a week-long hitchhiking event with friends around Ireland in June (based on the Discovering Ireland boardgame) where participants will receive a list of random Irish destinations and proceed to hitchhike to each one.

Just looking for some towns or villages that should be included as we'll try to get off the beaten track a bit. The only stipulation is that there'll need to be a road to it.

Your help and suggestions will be hugely appreciated. No points received for telling me to get the bus

Oh, and if you're interested in taking part, that's cool too!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i once hitchhiked. I was walking from naas to punchestown and it was really hot so i put a thumb out as a laugh and someone actually stopped. i was shocked but so was he when i called my six mates over and we all piled into his car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In before the Larry Murphy and cheapskate hippie referenecs!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Japandamo wrote: »
    Hi guys,

In the process of organising a week-long hitchhiking event with friends around Ireland in June (based on the Discovering Ireland boardgame) where participants will receive a list of random Irish destinations and proceed to hitchhike to each one.

Just looking for some towns or villages that should be included as we'll try to get off the beaten track a bit. The only stipulation is that there'll need to be a road to it.

Your help and suggestions will be hugely appreciated. No points received for telling me to get the bus

That makes it tricky :D

Seriously, though, you have to have Muff on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Keel strand, Achill Island, Beautiful spot and a camp site aswell. I'd have to put that on my list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

In before the Larry Murphy and cheapskate hippie referenecs!

But Larry Murphy wasn't a cheapskate hippie? :confused:

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Oh, was he not now?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

AnonoBoy wrote: »

A cheapskate sickie maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Try getting to Roundstone

Lovely spot for an afternoon if you're not driving :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

wexie wrote: »

Rouund stone?

Cloch na Rón níos fearr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Hey, thanks a million for your comments and suggestions.
    That makes it tricky :D

Seriously, though, you have to have Muff on the list.

Ha, don't know how it had escaped the list up to now - amended, thanks.
    Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Keel strand, Achill Island, Beautiful spot and a camp site aswell. I'd have to put that on my list.

Nice, thanks Mr.Fred.

Also perfect, thank you.

Keep them coming, cheers. Any suggestions for the east and midlands will be hugely helpful as I seem to have had a tendency to favour the west coast when I was coming up with ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I can't help but think the most challenging places would be in and around Dublin.
    Maybe three or four places, that would force you to hitchhike within the M50?
    Pretty much any few suburbs would do, and what's appropriate will depend on where you have around Wicklow/Kildare etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

A race from Malin to Mizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Hi guys,

Will you guys be in some way identifiable as friendly-upforfun-boardsfrequenting hitchhikers as opposed to your garden variety knife-wielding-maniac hitchhiker?

Might help getting lifts off boardsies, possibly rides as well ;)

I can't help but think the most challenging places would be in and around Dublin.
    Maybe three or four places, that would force you to hitchhike within the M50?
    Pretty much any few suburbs would do, and what's appropriate will depend on where you have around Wicklow/Kildare etc.

Hmm, was considering avoiding the Dublin City, and the M50, in the interests of safety (and legality). But the Wicklow/Kildare areas, and possibly the suburbs. The only thing about suburbs and cities is that they are easy enough to get into, but can be bloody difficult to get out of.

Will you guys be in some way identifiable as friendly-upforfun-boardsfrequenting hitchhikers as opposed to your garden variety knife-wielding-maniac hitchhiker?

Might help getting lifts off boardsies, possibly rides as well ;)

Hmm, apart from trying to look as friendly, upforfun and boardsfrequenting-y as possible...

Hadn't thought about it, but I will now.

Would garden variety hitchers not be more likely to wield a hatchet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Granny Castle, South Kilkenny. It's right beside the river, and there's a pub across the road. Ideal location!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the rock of dunamaise

Guill wrote: »
    A race from Malin to Mizen.

Definitely a fantastic idea for another event, but the wheels are already in motion for this random destination one. Thanks.
    Granny Castle, South Kilkenny. It's right beside the river, and there's a pub across the road. Ideal location!

Very nice indeed, thank you.
    the rock of dunamaise

Wow, hadn't got anything for Laois - that's perfect thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Hey, thanks a million for your comments and suggestions.

Ha, don't know how it had escaped the list up to now - amended, thanks.

Nice, thanks Mr.Fred.

Also perfect, thank you.

Keep them coming, cheers. Any suggestions for the east and midlands will be hugely helpful as I seem to have had a tendency to favour the west coast when I was coming up with ideas.

carlingford lough its a beautiful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Glendalough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Do you want more people involved?

And how does one insure that your hitchhikers aren't hacked up into little pieces and then murdered?

Ficheall wrote: »

And how does one insure that your hitchhikers aren't hacked up into little pieces and then murdered?

By the same way most people aren't hacked up into little peices and then murdered? (Although biologically, I'd imagine this happens the other way around!)

Ficheall wrote: »

Hi Ficheall,

Sure, the more the merrier, if you're interested.

The plan is to meet up at the very start of the event and partner up (being in pairs reducing the risk of murder and other unpleasantness) - or people will come with their own ready-made HH buddy - and draw our destinations. The following morning we'll set out on the road, and then we'll regroup the following week to exchange experiences.

It's the kind of thing that could even be done with only two people, as once we set out on the road there'll be very little contact between participants = but the more there are the better the pre- and after-party will be!

At the moment we have about 15 people interested though...which is pretty good!

Course if anyone just wants to join us for the party at the end we'll be finishing up in Bundoran for Sea Sessions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

poison glen in Donegal also known as Dunlewey, Glengesh in Ardara in Donegal, Knockalla Drive in Donegal, Bloody Foreland in Donegal, Fanad head or Malin head Donegal, Dunfanaghy Donegal. ...Sorry I couldn't chose, google them and you decide.

Was gonna put down tullen strand bundorn and sea sessions too. Just leave out rest of country and spend it in Donegal.

What if you are paired with a murderer.

Hmm...then I guess you've beaten the system. Congratulations.

Thanks for all of those, I've Googled them and they all look great. I'll choose a couple of them and then have the others in as bonus locations if people finish early.

Oh, and Google Maps tells me that Knockalla drive is a housing estate...but I guess it's also a road in the vicinity of Knockalla mountain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The only stipulation is that there'll need to be a road to it.
    that's my town out. :(
    I thought that was the point of the game. It's not hitchhiking without a few murders.

• Advertisement

knockalla is a stunning cliftop drive stunning, good luck with it all.

Advertisement