Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Hitchhiking Event...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

thought that was the point of the game. It's not hitchhiking without a few murders

Oh I almost want to go now lol

Dammit OP, I was planning on starting a boards inspired destination thread in the not too distant future. You got there before me!

Is ok, you can buy me a beer in the Twisted Pepper when you get to Sea Sessions, to show you are sorry about it :)

G'luck on your travels!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Dammit OP, I was planning on starting a boards inspired destination thread in the not too distant future. You got there before me!

Is ok, you can buy me a beer in the Twisted Pepper when you get to Sea Sessions, to show you are sorry about it :)

G'luck on your travels!

Ha, I'm sorry, but come on, it's nearly June - how long more were you going to leave it ;)

Twisted Pepper - got it, you're on. You might need to give me a lift there if you see me struggling at the side of the road on the way into Bundoran on the Friday - in which case there might even be a second beer in it for you...

You will have to wear a distinctive outfit or I may mistake you for a nutjob thumbing. Wear a boards.ie t-shirt, least I will know you're a thumbing boardsie nutjob and will take the risk :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

When in June are you planning on doing this?

• Advertisement

You will have to wear a distinctive outfit or I may mistake you for a nutjob thumbing. Wear a boards.ie t-shirt, least I will know you're a thumbing boardsie nutjob and will take the risk :pac:

Sorted, I have engraved 'Boards.ie' into my hockey mask AND chainsaw, but I will see about getting my hands on a t-shirt as well ;)
    Ficheall wrote: »

June 14-21 (then 21-23 at Sea Sessions) How does that grab you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

If you are heading west try getting to Hillstreet in north Co. Roscommon, tiny crossroads village, very little traffic in or out and loads of small roads going there and back. Or try hitching over Kilronan mountain via Arigna village, very isolated (but very beautiful as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Carlingford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

Be careful if your going through Charlestown! If you take the wrong turn you could end up in Knock! :D

Back in the late 90s I used to live on Achill Island and that is a great place to Hitch too and from. Did it many times with a surfboard always made it there in time leaving from Cork and Dublin. I used to race hitch around to Countryand the last person there got the drinks bill whenever they arrived :D

Red Kev wrote: »
    If you are heading west try getting to Hillstreet in north Co. Roscommon, tiny crossroads village, very little traffic in or out and loads of small roads going there and back. Or try hitching over Kilronan mountain via Arigna village, very isolated (but very beautiful as well).

Thanks for that, I've very little for Roscommon so far, so that's great.
    Be careful if your going through Charlestown! If you take the wrong turn you could end up in Knock! :D

Back in the late 90s I used to live on Achill Island and that is a great place to Hitch too and from. Did it many times with a surfboard always made it there in time leaving from Cork and Dublin. I used to race hitch around to Countryand the last person there got the drinks bill whenever they arrived :D

Thanks for the tip, I'll watch my step ;)

Those are some impressive HH credentials. How do you fancy flexing the thumbs again and hitting the road with us next month??

• Advertisement

A bit more information for you, if it helps - the plan is to meet in Tramore on Friday, June 14, where we'll all draw our destinations, and then hit out on Saturday morning, to regroup on Friday the 21st in Bundoran. Then party.

And, in my case, apologetic beers for Strawberry Milkshake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

Japandamo wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, I'll watch my step ;)

Those are some impressive HH credentials. How do you fancy flexing the thumbs again and hitting the road with us next month??

Next month I will be in Spain walking the Camino de Santiago. I'll be doing my best trying not to stick my thumb out as I walk.

Best of luck with the event and you will have a blast doing it thats for sure. Some amazing and strange people pick up hitchers and those can make some great stories.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Rathkeale is lovely this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,081 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Japandamo wrote: »
    A bit more information for you, if it helps - the plan is to meet in Tramore on Friday, June 14, where we'll all draw our destinations, and then hit out on Saturday morning, to regroup on Friday the 21st in Bundoran. Then party.

And, in my case, apologetic beers for Strawberry Milkshake.

Would love to do this but just can't get the time off work

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Next month I will be in Spain walking the Camino de Santiago. I'll be doing my best trying not to stick my thumb out as I walk.

Best of luck with the event and you will have a blast doing it thats for sure. Some amazing and strange people pick up hitchers and those can make some great stories.

Wow, good luck with that. It's funny, two years ago I'd never heard of the Camino de Santiago and now you're the fourth or fifth person to mention it (although most of them have said they'll do it...sometime - so well done). I find taping your thumbs down works best for keeping them in - but it makes peeling a banana difficult.
    Yakult wrote: »
    Rathkeale is lovely this time of year

Is it really? Or are you taking the piss? I only ask because I saw a documentary some time last year...

No offense Rathkeale-ites.
    Would love to do this but just can't get the time off work

Aw, shame, but sure join us in Bundoran if you're not working the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm interested, but wary of being landed with a psychotic or dull travelling partner...
    I've asked a couple of people to come with me, but they declined for much the same reason.

I'm interested, but wary of being landed with a psychotic or dull travelling partner...
    I've asked a couple of people to come with me, but they declined for much the same reason.

I can understand your concern, but one option would be to come with your own ready made HH partner, someone you know not to be dull or psychotic. Otherwise, there will be people coming to Tramore buddyless, who will hope to find a travel partner when we meet up on the Friday - so hopefully you'd be able to find someone you get on with. Choosing of partners is left up to the individuals involved, we're not going to be pairing you up.

And just to allay your fears a bit more, I don't think this event is something that dull people would undertake, and a psychotic hitchhiking partner...would be far too much of a cliché to actually be likely to happen.

Also, the event is being organised through the Couchsurfing website. Most of the info is here but I think you need to be registered with CS to read it :o

Do you want more people involved?

And how does one insure that your hitchhikers aren't hacked up into little pieces and then murdered?

I think the inevitable has happened. OP should be on the roads at this stage and we haven't heard from him.

Feck it anyway, he was meant to buy me a beer this Friday :(

I think the inevitable has happened. OP should be on the roads at this stage and we haven't heard from him.

Feck it anyway, he was meant to buy me a beer this Friday :(

Well hello!

I'm alright, I don't cut up so easy. Your pint is still on the cards.

Having a really good time with it, loads of ground covered and the people that have stopped have all been super sound, no exceptions. People aren't so bad. In Cootehill in Cavan at the moment, hitched up from Banagher this morning, so covered good ground. Tomorrow is Donegal day. I can't wait!

If anyone is interested I'm keeping a blog (trying to anyway). Are you allowed post things like that here?

Oh, also, I set the Twisted Pepper as the finishing point for the event, so, Milkshake, if you're there you'll see me.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

Here's a pic of the distribution of the destinations, each team is a different colour (although we ran out of colours so I'm the yellow with the X).

• Advertisement
Advertisement