Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TENS Machine

• 22-05-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

just looking for updates on TENS machines, the last forum seems to be over a year ago. Was going to buy the Obi tens from in health as my midwife said that as long as they have a boost button then they are all the same but in the physiotherapy class this week they said that the one you rent from medicare is the best - pulsar is the brand.

I'd prefer to buy rather than rent and would love to hear any recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

My sister in law bought the TENS machine from Boots and said it was grand. I borrowed it off her for my own labour. If you're planning on having more than 1 child, it pays for itself in buying rather than renting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I got the one from inhealth. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. It and walking got me to 8cm and then I changed to gas and air. Seemed like better value to buy rather than rent as when you go into labour is unpredictable... I went 11 days over so would have paid a fortune renting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I have the Obi tens. Im definitely glad i bought it and will be using it again! I used it until i got to 7cm and then like Digs i switched to gas and air. I found it really good for taking the edge off and my contractions were quite intense as i was induced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I found it great and like that it got me to 6cm I think. The main thing is the pads. I had to use it through my labour and I spent the same on pads as I did on the machine. The pads are useable about twice or so, them you need new ones.

For labour you really only need 8 pads, (4 at a time and 4 in case you make a mistake!)

The only reason I used so many during labour is that I decided I wanted a shower / bath during labour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I forgot to buy ne wpads for it so could not use it on my last baby.
    I only used 2 the 1st time I think, but I have super quick labours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

So thinking of purchasing a TENS machine for my labour really want to avoid the epidural - took 9 attempts to get it in the last time due to a few lower back issues. Has anyone any recommendations or things to look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

i purchased the obi tens from inhealth.ie for my labour. i found it great. couldnt fault it. i remember when i used it first i thought 3 was intense i got it right up to level 10 and had it on after giving birth and forgot it was there! def get one with a boost. think i only used 2 pads but cant remember.

i walked and walked up and down all the stairs in the hospital after my waters broke then used the ball then remembered my tens machine and i think i only got the gas and air at 9 or 10 cm but i remember thinking **** i need something now and then it was oh baby is nearly here.

Ill be using the TENS again this time. i know all labours are different but hopefully it will do the trick! goodluck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

This is what I used last time & found it great. Really must order some new pads for it & get some batteries. Not due til November, but might as well start prepping a bit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodyclock-Health-Care-Ltd-Femme/dp/B000A1QKG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373962109&sr=8-1&keywords=femme+tens

I was getting contractions from 9pm & didn't have my daughter til 10.20pm the following day. Used my tens machine for about 16 hours I'd say before I needed to use gas & air.

Advertisement