Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My broadband house move dilema

• 22-05-2013 10:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

At my current but-soon-to-be-evicted-after-10-years address i enjoy a very nice 10mb download and 1mb upload via Vodafone :)

Naturally when forcibly kicked out i must return the premises as i got it, ergo i must get the landline disconnected.

At the new address i *hope* to secure there is a landline installed but disconnected. Vodafone have kindly said they will re-enable the line and move my BB and acount to the new address/landline for free = yay!

The problem is i will be on a different exchange [Caherdavin] and from my estimates even further distance to exchange then i curently am :(

In a nutshell untill i get the line re-enabled and speed tested i have NO idea what speeds i might get, if i get less then what i get now i see no point in staying with Vodafone and would have to outright cancel.

But then if i cancel they'll charge me €238 for breach of contract :(

Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

At my current but-soon-to-be-evicted-after-10-years address i enjoy a very nice 10mb download and 1mb upload via Vodafone :)

Naturally when forcibly kicked out i must return the premises as i got it, ergo i must get the landline disconnected.

At the new address i *hope* to secure there is a landline installed but disconnected. Vodafone have kindly said they will re-enable the line and move my BB and acount to the new address/landline for free = yay!

The problem is i will be on a different exchange [Caherdavin] and from my estimates even further distance to exchange then i curently am :(

In a nutshell untill i get the line re-enabled and speed tested i have NO idea what speeds i might get, if i get less then what i get now i see no point in staying with Vodafone and would have to outright cancel.

But then if i cancel they'll charge me €238 for breach of contract :(

Advice?
    http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

According to that you'd be able to get FTTC come Q3/Q4 2013. Then it won't matter how far you are from the exchange as it's all measured to your nearest cabinet.

Why is the charge so high for breaching your contract? You could just leave and cancel your direct-debit so they can't snag any money from your account. I'm not saying that you should, but you definitely could. They'd probably forget about it over time, but then again, there's always the possibility that they might not.

Anyways, if you were to breach it and leave, you wouldn't be any better off unless you signed up with UPC for the same problem would exist with any DSL operator until FTTC is enabled in your area. Signing up with UPC on their website at the moment, there is no activation charge.

Here's the Broadband and Phone packages:
    http://www.upc.ie/deals/Broadbandandphone/
    (it's cheaper to take Broadband and Phone together, believe it or not, and there's no broadband standalone charge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I hope they let you know that even though it's free to transfer residence you still need to agree to another 12 month contract in order to move... I had this issue when i was moving more than a month ago... They said it was all free and didn't let me know about the new contract until the day i moved... So i got caught for the month i had no service too.

Had i known the month prior i would have cancelled (was 110e), now I'm stuck on a new 12 month contract but might break it regardless of the penalty to get fibre.. Which they refuse to offer me (even though eircom said i can get it)..

It might be better in the long run to just cancel the contract.. because if you stay you will be agreeing to a new 12 month contract anyway.. so best shop around and get the best deal.

Advertisement