Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defining "Continuous Service"

Options
  • 22-05-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

From nera.ie ... "The Unfair Dismissals Acts enable employees who believe they have been unfairly dismissed to present a claim of unfair dismissal to either a Rights Commissioner or to the Employment Appeals Tribunal.
    The Acts apply to employees over age 16 with at least 12 months’ continuous service"

I am facing a bit of trouble in work and considering my options but need clarification on '12 months continuous service'. I have only had one employer in the last two years. I was part time initially (only one employer) then got moved to full time in position A... this started January 2012. After 6 months, due to other departments struggling, cost cutting measures were introduced. The employer was looking to save money over the summer months ( a lean period in our business ). Through this process there was a number of redundancies. In June 2012, I was offered a different role, position B, full time again, but to start in September 2012 and was offered a July and August off in 'their' best interests. I'm young enough and had few commitments so was quite happy to take the summer off knowing I had full time work to come back to in September.

So now, in my new role I have a contract that begins September 2012. I have been with this company since the summer of 2011, but with the latest pre-summer confusion fear they may be trying to remove me and some others.

Where do I fall on the '12 months continuous service' discussion... :(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jrt123

"In addition, if a Rights Commissioner or Tribunal considers that the employment of a person on a series of two or more contracts, between which there was not more than a 26 week break, was for the purpose of avoidance of liability by the employer under the legislation, the various contracts may be added together in calculating the employee's continuous service."

Think I may have found an answer to my own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Not necessarily - the fact that you were employed in two different roles might be a factor, also the wording of your contract on the new contract comes into play. If you are on a fixed term contract this will also make a difference. To be certain I would recommend you contact your local FLAC or NERA if you are concerned.

Advertisement