Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Should You Get On Your Last Day?

Options
  • 22-05-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm finally leaving a job that made my life an absolute misery for the past two years. I just have a question: should you receive anything from your employer on your last day?

Now I will tell you that my current boss is a straight-up cowboy. I've had major issues with him in the past (for example: not getting holidays I was entitled to, having to pretty much chase him every month when my wages are due etc.) and I have a feeling that he'll be difficult when it comes to giving me what I'm owed when I finish up.

I guess I'm just wondering does he have to pay me the wages I'm owed and give me my P45 on my last day? Or is it acceptable for him to forward these things on after I leave? I've never left a job before so I'm not sure what the proper way to do things is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No, they can pay your final wages as per the normal pay schedule, and after that is typically when a P45 is issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Re your comment that your boss is a straight up cowboy.... I would be making sure that your prsi contributions have been paid while you were in his employ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Agree, you can do this now:

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/RequestSIContributionRecord.aspx

You should have it within a week-ish.

Keep the last few payslips, it will help you reconcile the P45 when you get it.

Write out how many days holiday you have taken so far this year in case you are due / owe holiday pay from your final pay day.

Did you do a week in hand?

Photograph the last few week rotas or time sheets just in case!

What's the situation with uniform / locker keys, sort out any deposit refunds owed well before you leave. Make whoever takes back your company property sign for it.

When you start you new job, get their employers number and call the tax office and ask to be put on a week 1 basis while you wait for your P45.

Advertisement