Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on Politics Megathread here please

Options
  • 18-05-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭

###################################################

I have split the feedback-type posts from the Politics Megathread.
    Please post any feedback that you have in this thread.

tHB & Mr M

###################################################

Is this not a bit unfair, other regional forums are allowed to discuss politics in their threads, why is Waterford being signalled out?

Can we not have the same rules accross all the regional forums to avoid claims of discrimination / censorship ?

We never had an issue heretofore when FF were in power, but this has only started to become an issue when a mod who is a member of the Govt Party started to take things personally

It seem Waterord again is being signalled out for "Special" treatment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm no supporter of any political party but this is a move that I completely disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

This is a joke right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

why bother !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I think its a great idea.I for one am totally sick of threads that have nothing to do with any political topic being derailed into a slagging match over peoples politics. If I want to read or have a discussion about politics I'll go to the politics forum much the same way when I want totally about films, I go to the films forum.
    Over the last few months a select few users have made this part of boards a forum a lot of old regular users don't really want to be around any more.Its been ruined by idiotic arguements that have little or no basis in reality let alone this forum. I don't want to be reading an informative thread about shops in Waterford only to have to trawl through unrelated posts about politics in Ireland. I personally believe that some users don't use the politics forum because their idiotic attempts at debate would either get them banned or laughed out of it. The mods on the Waterford forum have been overly patient wth some people. If it was other mods on a different section of boards, a **** load of bans would have been handed out over the last few months.
    And for those giving out about this thread, maybe if a few idiots didn't keep lowering the tone, derailing threads and abusing people ,maybe this wouldn't have happened. I hope this works out and the Waterford Forum can go back to the way it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Meatwad wrote: »
    I think its a great idea.I for one am totally sick of threads that have nothing to do with any political topic being derailed into a slagging match over peoples politics. If I want to read or have a discussion about politics I'll go to the politics forum much the same way when I want totally about films, I go to the films forum.
    Over the last few months a select few users have made this part of boards a forum a lot of old regular users don't really want to be around any more.Its been ruined by idiotic arguements that have little or no basis in reality let alone this forum. I don't want to be reading an informative thread about shops in Waterford only to have to trawl through unrelated posts about politics in Ireland. I personally believe that some users don't use the politics forum because their idiotic attempts at debate would either get them banned or laughed out of it. The mods on the Waterford forum have been overly patient wth some people. If it was other mods on a different section of boards, a **** load of bans would have been handed out over the last few months.
    And for those giving out about this thread, maybe if a few idiots didn't keep lowering the tone, derailing threads and abusing people ,maybe this wouldn't have happened. I hope this works out and the Waterford Forum can go back to the way it used to be.

It's not right that political decisions such as WRH etc. cannot now be debated in its own thread, It is censorship pure and simple.

• Advertisement

Bards wrote: »
    It's not right that political decisions such as WRH etc. cannot now be debated in its own thread, It is censorship pure and simple.

It may be, but we're all only guests on the site and have to abide by the decisions and rules of the mods on the site. If we were paying for a service, it might be different.Boards.ie owes us nothing, we're only using a free service that has to be paid by some one else.
    Where as I see it as a good thing I can undestand how posters like yourself might be annoyed. I think having the dedicated thread here is a decent enough comprimise.Either way, nothing that can be done about it now. As a whole, I can only see it making a positive difference for the actual forum.I fail to see any negatives to it, its only an internet forum after all, its not as if any of the acual political threads that were here actually made any difference to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Are you surprised, given the abusive posts by sully?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Chiparus wrote: »
    Are you surprised, given the abusive posts by sully?

Did I rattle your cage? Bless. Amusing the blind eye you turn towards other personal posts frequently directed at me, but my general post pointing out some home truths appears to have upset you.

We have always allowed political discussions as long as they are strictly local but as of late, people insist on bringing each thread into a farce and then hop into other unrelated threads to have a go. That's the only issue. This issue was discussed by all the mods and CMods for sometime before it was decided to run with a 'megathread' covering all aspects of Waterford politics, and the Waterford is the only regional forum with such a huge discussion on Politics, which is supposed to be in the Politics Forum by default anyway.

FWIW, I took a backseat in the discussions due to my personal involvement and interest in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Sully wrote: »
    Did I rattle your cage? Bless. Amusing the blind eye you turn towards other personal posts frequently directed at me, but my general post pointing out some home truths appears to have upset you.

We have always allowed political discussions as long as they are strictly local but as of late, people insist on bringing each thread into a farce and then hop into other unrelated threads to have a go. That's the only issue. This issue was discussed by all the mods and CMods for sometime before it was decided to run with a 'megathread' covering all aspects of Waterford politics, and the Waterford is the only regional forum with such a huge discussion on Politics, which is supposed to be in the Politics Forum by default anyway.

FWIW, I took a backseat in the discussions due to my personal involvement and interest in politics.

Before I start, let me tell you that I don't have any political agenda or party leaning.

I also couldn't care much for sensibilities or personal feelings on an internet forum where you can hide anonymously.

I also never suck up to Mods or anyone else for that matter.

The reason I use boards is to be helpful, funny, outraged and curious, not necessarily in that order.

Saying all that, I have to give Sully credit. Whatever his political leanings are, I find that he is more than fair and reasoning than I would be with all the slagging and baiting he gets from people who I think dislike the party rather than the individual.
    Tha Waterford forum is quite often an angry mess created by us the posters who derail nearly every hot issue into chaos.
    Tha Mods and CMods have had their hands forced on this one to let other threads run their natural cause instead of frequently getting hijacked by rightfully passionate people.

Apart from that, it is done now and these are the consequences and now it is made clear where to have a local political discussion/debate/slagging match.

Whatever you may think of Sully's political stance, it takes a lot of his time and patience to moderate and keep this forum ticking over and more people should realise this and give himself and ALL the Mods on boards a break. If you don't like it you dont have to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

The decision for this thread was not taken lightly however anyone might feel about it I hope anyone might agree that the old way wasn't working.

Just to nip this **** in the bud also it is NOT censorship. I am not the least bit political, I care about this forum and How it is for the regulars here. Most threads turning into a provebial pissing contest between the two camps from what we could see was annoying allot of people.

Maybe down the line if this is a success we can always change things. The last thing anyone wants (especially the mods) is a situation where we are ruling with an Iron fist.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    The decision for this thread was not taken lightly however anyone might feel about it I hope anyone might agree that the old way wasn't working.

Just to nip this **** in the bud also it is NOT censorship. I am not the least bit political, I care about this forum and How it is for the regulars here. Most threads turning into a provebial pissing contest between the two camps from what we could see was annoying allot of people.

Maybe down the line if this is a success we can always change things. The last thing anyone wants (especially the mods) is a situation where we are ruling with an Iron fist.

Perhaps you should do something about the constant abuse and trolling by sully, all you have to do is to look at his post above,

Do you mean "troll Me"?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Chiparus, this is one of the many reasons why this thread has been created,

If you have a problem with Sully then report the posts or take it to PM, and visa versa. I'm not having yet another thread derailed by this nonsense.

Attack the post not the poster!

At the very least regular, older posters should have been consulted, not just mods, i am here since 2004 and that should count for something.

I'm sorry guys, but it would have been better to issue more warnings / infractions for brining threads "Off Topic" as per charter instead of implementing this nonsense.

If this is the way foward, then its time for us to part ways after 9 years.

without posters the forum is nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

It makes sense to have a single political thread around the time of elections, local or national. However politics touches so many aspects of local issues and events and will naturally be discussed on those threads.

Perfect example is new job announcements/job losses. There is always going to be a political aspect to these threads, what is to happen now when a thread starts related to job news? Are any political related posts to be moved to this thread? Is the whole thread to be moved here? Both of these dont make for ease of reading for forum members.

The problem is that both sides, both pro-govt and anti-govt only seem to want to point score in so many threads, that is what makes threads unreadable imo and that needs to be clamped down on, some of the mod team here need to take a look at their posting style in this regard also though.

Its hard to understand why some sort of feedback thread about this wasnt started before implementing a new strict rule on the forum. Its done on other far more contentious foums on Boards.ie and seems to work, no reason as to why it couldnt on here as opposed to some dictat from 'on high'

Cabaal wrote: »
    Chiparus, this is one of the many reasons why this thread has been created,

If you have a problem with Sully then report the posts or take it to PM, and visa versa. I'm not having yet another thread derailed by this nonsense.

Attack the post not the poster!

Perhaps you should take it up with Sully?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The 'stop the trouble' approach was the original plan and there were always numerous reported posts (the majority of the time from people not engaging in the thread). But the threads move so fast and the mods are volunteers. The politics discussions are a whole different kettle of fish and nearly a full time job as of late. Aside from that fact, some of the mods don't have an interest in politics so wont be reading over the threads. This isn't a politics forum - so that makes sense. But as was said but ziedth - nobody wants to run the forum with an iron fist and there was going to be a lot of bans / infractions / warnings issued if moderation of these topics became 'full time' and that makes for a foul atmosphere on thread. It simply didn't work and it can't work at present - so that only leaves a mega thread or no thread.

The reason why its not being permitted in other threads is because we have already got a lot of feedback in this regard - people are fed up with threads being hijacked to 'have a go' and push their own agenda. This thread is a trial to see if it works better than having it spread out.

As for why there wasn't a feedback thread - more because it was felt urgent action need to be taken and because it was felt that such a thread would be hijacked and not be constructive. There was only three options we could think off and if you have your own, let us know (by PM, so we can let this topic have a purpose). But this was the immediate action following a lengthy discussion between all mods & cmods. This thread so far, in parts, is a prime example of why it wouldn't work. As for threatening to leave as a result of not being allowed discuss it everywhere, while disappointing to see anybody leave the forum - a lot have left already and frequently complained about the atmosphere and posts about politics being everywhere they turn. We have a Politics Forum if your that eager to discuss politics.

This is really the only solution and the lads gave plenty of warnings for people to cop on. Me included, may I add, and I am not suggesting for one second that I am completely innocent but I do find it a bit insulting that it be suggested because my views are not on the majority that I should 'look at my posting style' and forgive me for challenging those who insist on repeatedly trolling, baiting and taking personal swipes at me.

The 'stop the trouble' approach was the original plan and there were always numerous reported posts (the majority of the time from people not engaging in the thread). But the threads move so fast and the mods are volunteers. The politics discussions are a whole different kettle of fish and nearly a full time job as of late. Aside from that fact, some of the mods don't have an interest in politics so wont be reading over the threads. This isn't a politics forum - so that makes sense. But as was said but ziedth - nobody wants to run the forum with an iron fist and there was going to be a lot of bans / infractions / warnings issued if moderation of these topics became 'full time' and that makes for a foul atmosphere on thread. It simply didn't work and it can't work at present - so that only leaves a mega thread or no thread.

The reason why its not being permitted in other threads is because we have already got a lot of feedback in this regard - people are fed up with threads being hijacked to 'have a go' and push their own agenda. This thread is a trial to see if it works better than having it spread out.

As for why there wasn't a feedback thread - more because it was felt urgent action need to be taken and because it was felt that such a thread would be hijacked and not be constructive. There was only three options we could think off and if you have your own, let us know (by PM, so we can let this topic have a purpose). But this was the immediate action following a lengthy discussion between all mods & cmods. This thread so far, in parts, is a prime example of why it wouldn't work. As for threatening to leave as a result of not being allowed discuss it everywhere, while disappointing to see anybody leave the forum - a lot have left already and frequently complained about the atmosphere and posts about politics being everywhere they turn. We have a Politics Forum if your that eager to discuss politics.

This is really the only solution and the lads gave plenty of warnings for people to cop on. Me included, may I add, and I am not suggesting for one second that I am completely innocent but I do find it a bit insulting that it be suggested because my views are not on the majority that I should 'look at my posting style' and forgive me for challenging those who insist on repeatedly trolling, baiting and taking personal swipes at me.

I really find your posting style confrontational and insulting, you partake in trolling as witnessed by your first post on this thread.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I really find your posting style confrontational and insulting, you partake in trolling as witnessed by your first post on this thread.

Enough, if you have a problem ask a Cmod or Admin to look into it. Personal abuse or calling people trolls and so on is going to lead to bans. fair warning, stick Sully on ignore if it bothers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Waterford politics appears awash with infighting :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Here's a radical Idea,

Why not create a Waterford Politcal Sub-Forum, Keep everyone Happy, instead of having one crazy stupid free-for-all thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Here's a radical Idea,

Why not create a Waterford Politcal Sub-Forum, Keep everyone Happy, instead of having one crazy stupid free-for-all thread

At the minute there's 7 stickies so wondering if all of those are necessary?

Here's a radical Idea,

It's not a bad idea but sub-forums aren't a mod decision and they are fairly stringent with creating them AFAIK PLUS I reckon you'd have a very hard time find people to mod it(I certainly wouldnt).

Edit: there are two if not three stickies I'd be happy to get rid of.

ziedth wrote: »
    It's not a bad idea but sub-forums aren't a mod decision and they are fairly stringent with creating them AFAIK PLUS I reckon you'd have a very hard time find people to mod it(I certainly wouldnt).

Edit: there are two if not three stickies I'd be happy to get rid of.

Few lads have been trying to create a sub forum over on the game section for over a year to no joy, despite the topic after going through 2 mega threads. Doubt there's really enough posts being made here to warrant a sub. I still fail to see peoples problem with having one thread for politics in waterford, after all there's a massive politics thread already.Its beyond me why people that want to post about politics don't seem to bother using it. Its not as if people are being prevented from posting, all thats happening is that they have to post in one place instead of derailing other threads. Its never a problem on other forums ,I don't understand why its a problem here.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Few lads have been trying to create a sub forum over on the game section for over a year to no joy, despite the topic after going through 2 mega threads. Doubt there's really enough posts being made here to warrant a sub. I still fail to see peoples problem with having one thread for politics in waterford, after all there's a massive politics thread already.Its beyond me why people that want to post about politics don't seem to bother using it. Its not as if people are being prevented from posting, all thats happening is that they have to post in one place instead of derailing other threads. Its never a problem on other forums ,I don't understand why its a problem here.

...because how can you discuss the WRH issue without brining politics into it, same goes for Local Property Tax, Waterford CIty COuncil etc etc.

How about the Roads forums, That's another one that has a load of political threads in them.

Politics (Whether you like it or not) touches our lives in so many ways is nigh on impossible to avoid.

...because how can you discuss the WRH issue without brining politics into it, same goes for Local Property Tax, Waterford CIty COuncil etc etc.

How about the Roads forums, That's another one that has a load of political threads in them.

Politics (Whether you like it or not) touches our lives in so many ways is nigh on impossible to avoid.

But you can discuss it all here. How hard is it to post in just the one thread?Look ,you're doing it already.;)
    I can understand how users like yourself, who I consider have acted in a fairly courteous fashion in most of the political discussions would be annoyed, but at the end of the day, you can still post what ever you want, just not where ever you want. If this thread went well, I could see things going back to normal at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

The only concern I have about it is that this thread will now be about everything. It's like having a forum within a sports forum called "soccer" where people post about everything to do with soccer, regardless of whether it's to do with man utd, arsenal, ireland, whatever. This won't last. The mods will get bored of constantly having to clean up and move threads.

The only concern I have about it is that this thread will now be about everything. It's like having a forum within a sports forum called "soccer" where people post about everything to do with soccer, regardless of whether it's to do with man utd, arsenal, ireland, whatever. This won't last. The mods will get bored of constantly having to clean up and move threads.

... it's actually going to be worse than that, Already we have in this thread

1.) Discussing the rights and wrongs of this Thread
    2.) Councillors Junkets
    3.) Hogan reckons it was the Consultants in WRH that voted in favour with the break-up of the S.E Hospital Region.

.. and we're only 3 pages in :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The rules are clear, this isn't for discussion about anything.

If people want to complain about the government in general for example then its off topic in this thread and its off topic in the Waterford forum in general....it would instead belong in the politics forum.

Its easier clean up a train wreck in one thread then continuous train wrecks in numerous threads,

• Advertisement

You have a point bards,

From this point in I'd appreciate it if there was no further discussion on the pros and cons of this megathread. Im happy to discuss it over in feedback if anyone would like to start a thread over there and link to it here.

Thanks in advance,

Advertisement