Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

calisthenics vs weight training?

• 22-05-2013 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

anyone know a bit about this. I have been training in a body weight club for a while but am not sure if it is better/worse then using weights? I am still making strength gains and my endurance is getting better. but could it be wuicker with a gym?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Bodyweight is still weight! You can vary the load by changing your body position, for example by raising your feet on pushups or doing single leg squats etc...

You can also add weight to your bodyweight movements with a dip belt or something, which is fine for upper body stuff. If you want to work the lower body hard and make strength and muscle gains (pronounced GAAIINNNZZZZ). you may need to squat/lunge with barbells or kettlebells.

If you're enjoying what you're doing now and still making progress then there's no real reason to switch completely to traditional gym work, maybe try adding some in and see if it helps things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 guydead67

Bodyweight is excellent for upper body and core - legs not so much
    Bodyweight has taught me loads about useful strength and helped my lifting tremendously
    Once I got to intimately know my rotator cuff, scapulae, upper and lower traps I made substantial gains
    Gonna get some rings soon and take it to the next level
    Strongbear, do you have rings in your club?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 strongbear

guydead67 wrote: »
    Bodyweight is excellent for upper body and core - legs not so much
    Bodyweight has taught me loads about useful strength and helped my lifting tremendously
    Once I got to intimately know my rotator cuff, scapulae, upper and lower traps I made substantial gains
    Gonna get some rings soon and take it to the next level
    Strongbear, do you have rings in your club?
    no rings bro but great I would think. have made some trx straps so just as good. I was thinking oftraining for pistol squats. look good for the legs.what gym do you guys use?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 guydead67

Pistols are ok, but you do need to use really good form.
    I'm quite antisocial so I train at home :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

strongbear wrote: »
    no rings bro but great I would think. have made some trx straps so just as good.
    Most find dips a lot easier on rings, and find rings more comfortable in general. Many moons ago some gymnastic federation type place had a vote on using straight handles or rings for competitions and the vast majority went for rings.

You can use rings/trx to assist you on your pistols. You can do glute ham raises

www.gymnasticbodies.com is a good site, he has a youtube channel here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GymnasticBodies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

strongbear wrote: »
    anyone know a bit about this. I have been training in a body weight club for a while but am not sure if it is better/worse then using weights? I am still making strength gains and my endurance is getting better. but could it be wuicker with a gym?
    do both. weigh training will help you develop maximal strength especially in your legs..eg. squats and deadlifts. General strength and strength endurance can be developed with bodyweight along with balance

Advertisement