Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Satellite

• 22-05-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I know most people say it's horrible, due to ping times and caps etc.
    Point is I'm on a three router with 60GB allowance and it is way too low.
    Now I know most satellite packages have even lower allowances, but then I discovered an option on Digiweb's satellites packages called "Unlimited Night Traffic"

I rang them asking what's stopping me buying a package with 20 or 30 GB allowance at 58 or 76 euro a month compared to the "Unlimited" package at 111 Euro and downloading at night only... And it seems their answer was nothing's stopping me, which brings the question being what's the difference then? http://digiweb.ie/home/broadband/satellite

I asked them what was their limit, as every ISP has one (UPC is 500GB a month) and once again they said none...

So before I go and buy the package and get it installed and discover the small print for myself, what's your take on this?

Could I truely download 700GB in a month between 11pm and 7am and expect them to say nothing about it?

I could really keep my 20/30GB allowance under control if that was the case, limiting the heavy traffic to night time only. But I still feel something's not right.... :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

They have hourly allowances on some packages. If you exceed these allowances the connection is throttled.

At least that's the way it used to work. Might be worth specifically asking this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

I've checked their FAQs and Fair Usage Policy extensively, rang them, but I guess this is more of an issue I'll only find out after I've experienced it. Or the only staff that could help would be technical support, might give them a ring and see what they're like.

Once again, I find the whole breakdown of packages very confusing. If you have a look at http://digiweb.ie/business/products/connectivity/broadband/satellite I could pay 30 euro less in connection fee, and pay less monthly:
    -11 euro less on the 20GB package (47.95 pro / 58.95 customer)
    -14 euro less on the 30GB package (62.95 pro / 76.95 customer)
    -22 euro less on the unlimited package (90.95 pro / 111.95 customer)

Unless it's before VAT but it is not mentioned anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

Business prices are excluding VAT I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

Update on the thread.

Went ahead with the ultimate/unlimited package.
    Installation fee was reduced from 250 to 99 Euro so I jumped on it.
    About 10 days later the installation went ahead, was done in an hour and the service was up and running.
    First surprise was that the router provided does not have Wifi or ethernet ports. It's just a satellite router,
    so you need your own. Second surprise was the speed. 20MB + Down, 5 MB + Up. Of course the ping is atrocious,
    at 700/800 ms.

And the latest surprise was evening cap. The line is down to a crawling speed of 0.3 / 0.4 MB.
    It is rendered completely useless.

And now I am stuck in a loop between Tech support (it's congested + we have a fair usage policy so you're on your own buddy)
    and Customer care (who passes the buck back and forth between sales and tech support)

None of them is able/willing to take my complaint seriously.
    So beware with these packages. It seems they're out of bandwidth in the evenings and cannot deliver on what they promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

There are various caps. This is based on 20Mb speed with 50GB cap per month

There is throttling if too much is downloaded. For example 50GB/month

- NO FAP- :20Mb / 6MB normal speed

-1 hour sliding window more than 6 GB used speed drops to 10Mb / 2Mb

-1 day sliding window more than 12 GB used speed drops to 1MB /0.5MB

-1 week sliding window more than 24GB used speed drops to 0.5MB / 0.25

These caps do not apply between 11pm and 7am for unlimited packages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Do not go near this service. I am on the tooway absolute package and its horrible. I rarley goes above 5 mb per seconds and lately it has been unusable I have rang them and they have told me it was because of contention and there was nothing they could do.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2774187666.png

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

wimmy wrote: »
    Update on the thread.

Went ahead with the ultimate/unlimited package.
    Installation fee was reduced from 250 to 99 Euro so I jumped on it.
    About 10 days later the installation went ahead, was done in an hour and the service was up and running.
    First surprise was that the router provided does not have Wifi or ethernet ports. It's just a satellite router,
    so you need your own. Second surprise was the speed. 20MB + Down, 5 MB + Up. Of course the ping is atrocious,
    at 700/800 ms.

And the latest surprise was evening cap. The line is down to a crawling speed of 0.3 / 0.4 MB.
    It is rendered completely useless.

And now I am stuck in a loop between Tech support (it's congested + we have a fair usage policy so you're on your own buddy)
    and Customer care (who passes the buck back and forth between sales and tech support)

None of them is able/willing to take my complaint seriously.
    So beware with these packages. It seems they're out of bandwidth in the evenings and cannot deliver on what they promise.

They told me this was contention to .... Cancelled my direct debit as they would do nothing to fix it
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2774187666.png

Advertisement