Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1yr old retching.

Options
  • 22-05-2013 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

Hi just looking for some opinions. A is nearly 13 months and a great eater. Got injections 2 weejs ago and few days later had bad vomiting and totally off food. Not sure if it was from needles ir a vomiting bug.
    Anyway since that ive noticed she is retching and gaggin alot. She is eating all her meals fine but sometimes starts to retch while eating. I give her a drink and she continues to eat her food.
    Ive noticed that sometimes when she touches things she does it. She touched play do for the first time last week and she started doing it. Also she has a sand pit and has never been to bothered about it but yesterdat i sat her in it and picked up some sand and again she started when she touched it and continued retchin until i took her out and away from the sand pit. She was retching so much her eyes were watering.
    Then today i handed her some luncheon roll. I took a bite of it. Handed it to her and she just started again i picked it up and took another bite and put it to her mouth and she started gagging again.
    Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Gosh poor thing. Do you think the thoughts of a particular texture just make her retch? You know like morning sickness, a smell or the thoughts of a certain food might make you feel sick.

I know my toddler used to stick his fingers into his mouth to make himself retch, just because he could. I ignored it and he didn't do it for too long. This sounds different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Yea its not for the attention anyway as shes not looking at me. It deffinetly seems to be the textutres but the 3 things ive noticed it with are all completly different textures. play do, sand and luncheon roll. She is eating fine mostly so i really cant understand it. Its odd that when she touches these things it makes her gag. Shes nit putting them near her mouth or anything..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Talk to the PHN incase it turns out to be something more serious.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Could she maybe have developed a slight phobia of food because of her experience with the vomiting bug? It could have left a lasting impression on her that she associates with food?

Just a thought?

Hope she's back to normal soon.

Poor little lamb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

J had the vomiting bug at Xmas & up until then he was a great eater but after the bug I had to go back to purees for awhile as any texture made him gag & upset. It lasted for about a month but eventually I was able to re-introduce his normal food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Thanks guys funny thing is shes eating fine. When i spoon feed her its mainly fine. The odd gag as she rushes swallowing but thats always been the case. I can hand her any thing. Cream cracker rice cake cheerios eating them fine. It seems to be the feel and texture of things. Things shes not eating like the sand . She has played in the sand before no problem so i cant understand it. Ive rang and left vm for phn to see what she thinks.

Advertisement