Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to get royal canin for cats?

• 22-05-2013 12:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know zooplus, amazon, anywhere else? I'm looking for a good dry cat food for my cats and they seem to go mad for royal canin. I want to get a 10kg bag.
    Or if there is another bran you think would be good, give a shout.

These are the ones recommended on zooplus:
    Almo Nature
    Almo Nature cat food is made of premium raw ingredients without additives such as flavo...
    Animonda
    Animonda is committed to providing a product of the highest quality. That means natural...
    Applaws
    Applaws dry cat food is a high quality complete food with 80% meat content. The unique...
    Hill's Science Plan
    Hill's Science Plan Dry Cat Food is designed to meet the needs of your cat at every...
    James Wellbeloved
    James Wellbeloved complete cat food contains natural ingredients such as succulent turk...
    Porta 21
    Porta 21 Holistic Cat is a healthy and natural cat food of super-premium quality. Its n...
    Orijen
    Orijen cat food is made in Alberta, Canada by an independent family-owned company. Or...
    Purina Pro Plan
    The most important element in Purina Pro Plan cat food is the real meat from turkey, la...
    Royal Canin Feline
    For more than 40 years, Royal Canin Cat Food has been the feline food that veterinarian...
    Sanabelle
    Sanabelle cat food has a great taste and is easy to digest. Sanabelle meets the demand ...

There are also a million royal canin carieties, does it really matter which you get? i just got them the "adult" one so far.

I see this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Canin-Digestive-Comfort-Dry/dp/B003TLA0DE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369222328&sr=8-3&keywords=royal+canin+10kg and the like, and am wondering can I just keep getting whichever one is cheapest on amazon, and if there is any tangible difference between them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I know zooplus, amazon, anywhere else? I'm looking for a good dry cat food for my cats and they seem to go mad for royal canin. I want to get a 10kg bag.

I get my royal canin dog food from medic animal cheapest I've found so far

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

DO they have big bags? ALl I can see is pouches, which don;t work out too cheap. Any links? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The cheapest I ever found Royal Canin was on Zooplus.ie. My chaps were on it for ages but I switched them to Applaws dry food as one of my cats has a tendency to gain weight easily and piled it on when on the RC and the Applaws is grainfree. The Applaws is 80% protein so is a lot better, in my opinion, than the RC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Please don't buy them RC; it's greatly overpriced for what goes into it.

Here's an example:
    COMPOSITION: dehydrated poultry meat, wheat, animal fats, maize, rice, maize gluten, dehydrated fish, hydrolysed animal proteins, wheat gluten, chicory pulp, fish oil, minerals, soya oil, dehydrated tomato (1%), marigold extract (source of lutein) (0.06%), hydrolysed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), hydrolysed cartilage (source of chondroitin). ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 14100 IU, Vitamin D3: 700 IU, E1 (Iron): 37 mg, E2 (Iodine): 2.9 mg, E4 (Copper): 13 mg, E5 (Manganese): 49 mg, E6 (Zinc): 162 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.04 mg - Antioxidants (natural extracts rich in tocopherols: 120 mg). ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 35% - Fat content: 20% - Crude ash: 7.3% - Crude fibres: 1.4%.
    Note that maize, wheat etc. are common cheap fillers and a cause of cat food allergens; honestly they should not be part of any quality dry food you see.

Now compare this with Applaws which costs less per kilo but is almost top of the line (i.e. there are only two or three better out there).
    Dry Chicken Meat Meal (min. 47%), Dry Salmon Meat Meal (min. 19%), Dry Potato (min. 4%), Poultry Oil (min. 8%, source of omega 6), Poultry Gravy (min. 4%), Salmon Oil (min. 3%, source of omega 3), Beet Pulp (min. 3%), Dry Whole Eggs (min. 3%), Brewers Dried Yeast, Cellulose Plant Fibre, Minerals, Sodium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Seaweed/Kelp, Cranberry, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Yucca Extract, Citrus Extract, Rosemary Extract.
    Not happy with that beet pulp but it's quite limited in content and not second, fourth or sixth respectively in the content list.

Or if you go all the way you got Acana/Orijen.
    Chicken meal, russet potato, boneless chicken, boneless walleye, whitefish meal*, peas, chicken fat, sun-cured alfalfa, chicken liver, boneless Lake Whitefish, whole eggs, salmon oil, sweet potato, pumpkin, spinach, turnip greens, tomatoes, carrots, apples, organic kelp, cranberries, blueberries, juniper berries, black currants, chicory root, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, lavender flowers, summer savory, rosemary.
    * ACANA whitefish meal contains wild-caught Alaskan cod, pollack, sole, and haddock.
    Don't get any better then that in quality basically.

As a side note if you're strapped for cash look at Almo Nature 12kg bags; not the best but once again far better then RC.
    Ingredients:
    Meat & meat by products 53% (incl. 14% freshly cooked chicken meat), grains (rice 14%, wheat, barley), extracts of plant proteins, oils and fats, minerals, manno-oligosaccharides (MOS), fructooligosaccharides (FOS).
    No food should ever have "by products" as this is what's left on the floor, feet, skulls, brain and other stuff they could not sell properly is called but as a cheap dry food Almo Nature is still acceptable (even if it's not something I'd recommend unless cash strapped as Applaws is only a eur more per kilo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Nody wrote: »

Here's an example:
    Also note all meat is dehydrated (i.e. what they measured was how much it weighted before dehydration so the actual content of meat is WAAAAY less). Also note that maize, wheat etc. are common cheap fillers and a cause of cat food allergies; honestly they should not be part of any quality dry food you see.

I don't think you're right there, if meat is dehydrated, then surely its after the water has been taken out, so the ratio of meat is high, because it doesn't have the water content, and a lot of foods weigh with the water content, so the actual meat content is less than when its dehydrated. What you've typed doesn't actually make sense - all meat is dehydrated ..... how much it weighted before dehydration????

I got some applaws dog treats, fish ones from a local shop that was selling them off cheap and I was concerned as to where it comes from, I looked at both the cat and dog food the shop was selling, and all from the same place - Thailand. Do you know where their factory is? I was just wondering what the travel time was for the meat or fish from killing to factory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

There are also a million royal canin carieties, does it really matter which you get? i just got them the "adult" one so far.

I see this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Canin-Digestive-Comfort-Dry/dp/B003TLA0DE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369222328&sr=8-3&keywords=royal+canin+10kg and the like, and am wondering can I just keep getting whichever one is cheapest on amazon, and if there is any tangible difference between them.

If your cat is microchipped you can get a free bag here: http://offer.royalcanin.co.uk/fido/freebag/en

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks will take a look at the prices of those other types, I was wondering about the contents all right. I imagine they all have what the cats need though, and as for weight issues, you really don't feed them much of these nuts. I'd prefer to get them better food however, will look at them!
    Edit: applaws isnt cheaper per kg but its not much difference (5e/kg cheapest royal canin, 6.19 cheapest applaws), might go for applaws.

Thanks for that link, already picked up a 2kg bag free :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ISDW wrote: »
    I don't think you're right there, if meat is dehydrated, then surely its after the water has been taken out, so the ratio of meat is high, because it doesn't have the water content, and a lot of foods weigh with the water content, so the actual meat content is less than when its dehydrated. What you've typed doesn't actually make sense - all meat is dehydrated ..... how much it weighted before dehydration????
    Sorry mixing up with thinking of chicken (not chicken (dry)) which would be ~20% of weight vs. listed 100% weight as wet; my mistake :o
    I got some applaws dog treats, fish ones from a local shop that was selling them off cheap and I was concerned as to where it comes from, I looked at both the cat and dog food the shop was selling, and all from the same place - Thailand. Do you know where their factory is? I was just wondering what the travel time was for the meat or fish from killing to factory?
    I've been trying to track them down but no luck so far (it also applies to several other brands such as Sushi Cat, Cosma etc.); most of the fish should be caught in Asia in the first place (cheaper) but put on ice (hopefully) but no confirmation either way.

Thanks will take a look at the prices of those other types, I was wondering about the contents all right. I imagine they all have what the cats need though, and as for weight issues, you really don't feed them much of these nuts. I'd prefer to get them better food however, will look at them!
    Edit: applaws isnt cheaper per kg but its not much difference (5e/kg cheapest royal canin, 6.19 cheapest applaws), might go for applaws.

Thanks for that link, already picked up a 2kg bag free :)
    Sorry I should have specified that I usually use RC Steralized as comparison but I grabbed the +7 (which is 10 EUR / kg) not normal (which is 6 EUR / kg).

Sorry mixing up with thinking of chicken (not chicken (dry)) which would be ~20% of weight vs. listed 100% weight as wet; my mistake :o

I've been trying to track them down but no luck so far (it also applies to several other brands such as Sushi Cat, Cosma etc.); most of the fish should be caught in Asia in the first place (cheaper) but put on ice (hopefully) but no confirmation either way.

its so hard to do the right things by our pets isn't it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

in the vet today (nr Naas/Kilcullen), they had RC in smallish bags - about a 1.5kg I'd say - for special offer of E3.49 - dunno if thats good or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Our cat also loves royal canin and we get the oral health one for his teeth. Zooplus is definitely the cheapest place I've found, especially for a 10kg bag.

I buy the 3.5KG bag because I'd be concerned with only one cat, the 10KG would go soft etc before he would get a chance to eat it. It's a lot of biscuis to store!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I buy the 3.5KG bag because I'd be concerned with only one cat, the 10KG would go soft etc before he would get a chance to eat it. It's a lot of biscuis to store!
    Get a small Trixie; I got two at the moment (kitten and Acana) and they do wonder in keeping them dry, stored well and keeping the smell of it that cat loves :)

aonb wrote: »
    in the vet today (nr Naas/Kilcullen), they had RC in smallish bags - about a 1.5kg I'd say - for special offer of E3.49 - dunno if thats good or not?

2kg bags cost over 20 euro so yes, lol.

aonb wrote: »

I've say it was a 400g bag, you often get them on special at that price

Actually that is pretty crap.

Poultry meat meal, rice, corn, poultry fat, poultry liver, corn gluten,fish oil, beet pulp, yeast, hydrolized poultry protein, minerals, whole eggs (dried), oat fiber, fructo-oligo-sccharides, l-Carnitine, yucca schidigera
    Protein 30 %, fat content 18 %, crude fiber 2,1 %, crude ash 6 %, moisture 8 %, calcium 0,9 %, phosphorus 0,7 %, magnesium 0,08 %, omega 6 fatty acids 3 %, omega 3 fatty acids 3,5 %, taurine 2,4 g/kg
    Not happy about the corn but it's at least third in content level and the protein is a bit low for my taste but I've seen far worse. I'd say good/high quality would be a fair level; better then RC in my books at least.

Not happy about the corn but it's at least third in content level and the protein is a bit low for my taste but I've seen far worse. I'd say good/high quality would be a fair level; better then RC in my books at least.

The bit that put me off was the suggested amounts (), which was more than RC/applaws, which i took to mean more filler and fatter cats. For small cats, 20 - 40 g daily for applaws vs 55g for the one linked. 30% protein vs 47%. But I suppose it's pretty good compared to most.

The bit that put me off was the suggested amounts (), which was more than RC/applaws, which i took to mean more filler and fatter cats. For small cats, 20 - 40 g daily for applaws vs 55g for the one linked. 30% protein vs 47%. But I suppose it's pretty good compared to most.
    It's not Applaws level but on the flip side it's not priced as such either; hence for the price and considering the content I'd rate is a medium/high quality and it will beat many other foods out there (looking at you Supermarket brands).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The great thing about high protein low carb dry and wet cat foods is that you use a lot less of it, while at the same time the cats are getting a higher grade food. They stay fuller for longer and they actually eat the food instead of just licking the jelly off it. Even our new stray tucks into the Applaws chicken nuts although I have to buy the chicken and the chicken/salmon as one of my other cats is fussy about the chicken only variety:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

My cat was at the vet earlier, and I was told to watch his weight as he is starting to get a tiny bit on the chubby side.
    I was planning on changing their food anyway, had planned on buying Porta 21 grain free. Vet recommended Hills Science Plan for neutered cats. Just looking on zoo plus, and Applaws works out a bit cheaper than Hills.
    Would Applaws help maintain a good weight? . Have two cats and don't fancy having to buy two different foods for them but want to feed them both a decent dry food.
    Or is Hills the best stuff for him? He is an indoor cat, and can be a lazy bugger at times.

Hills is like RC; Vet sold highly priced and advertised medium quality food so I'd go with Applaws but stick on the low side of the recommendations at the start (to get him used to the new quality).

alwaysadub wrote: »
    My cat was at the vet earlier, and I was told to watch his weight as he is starting to get a tiny bit on the chubby side.
    I was planning on changing their food anyway, had planned on buying Porta 21 grain free. Vet recommended Hills Science Plan for neutered cats. Just looking on zoo plus, and Applaws works out a bit cheaper than Hills.
    Would Applaws help maintain a good weight? . Have two cats and don't fancy having to buy two different foods for them but want to feed them both a decent dry food.
    Or is Hills the best stuff for him? He is an indoor cat, and can be a lazy bugger at times.

With these foods you feed them far less so the cats weight should be fine, the cat will not be happy at the start!

It's better with a higher protein level and no corn etc. at the start (once again not happy about the beet pulp but it's relatively far down).
    Composition: ground chicken meat 64%, chicken meat 9,15%, chicken fat, dried potatoes, brewers yeast, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), cellulose, MOS (mannanoligosaccharides), FOS (Fructooligosaccharides), dried cranberries, green tea extract

Analytical components:

crude protein 47%, crude oils & fats 21,5%, crude fibre 2,5%, crude ash 12%, moisture 7%, magnesium 0,1%

Doesnt seem so bad so as they are the same price (excluding the 1.75 kg free of animonda atm)

Seems to be of similar quality to applaws? But much cheaper?

Any better than these and I'd happily eat them myself, Acana/Orijen etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Tar - are your cats fussy? I know I wouldn't order a large quantity of new food without testing it on our cat first. He's liable to turn his nose up at it and then we'd be stuck with it! I'd try and get a sample or a small bag from somewhere first if you do have a fussy cat.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Tar - are your cats fussy? I know I wouldn't order a large quantity of new food without testing it on our cat first. He's liable to turn his nose up at it and then we'd be stuck with it! I'd try and get a sample or a small bag from somewhere first if you do have a fussy cat.

I'm pretty sure they would eat anything. They may like something more than something else, but they like everything. From broccoli to my doughnuts and bread :mad:

• Advertisement

Doesnt seem so bad so as they are the same price (excluding the 1.75 kg free of animonda atm)

Seems to be of similar quality to applaws? But much cheaper?

Any better than these and I'd happily eat them myself, Acana/Orijen etc
    I know the feeling; our cats are eating chicken with quail eggs in them!

Applaws Chicken break down is:
    Protein 47%, Crude Oils and Fats 20%, Crude Fibres 2.0%, Inorganic Matter 9.9%, Calcium 2%, Phosphorous 1.6%, Taurine 2000mg/kg, <13.5% Carbohydrates.
    And of course have slightly differnent parts going into it as well (i.e. no beet root etc.) but they are similar yes :)

Only step up really would be Taste of the Wild, Orijen/Acana (but that one is sold out in Zooplus for a month+ now) and Applaws (minor step up due to the ingridients) but honestly anyone of them are a high quality kitty food and it's going to be down to price vs. kitty preferences vs. personal preferences and they are all going to be great choice for your cat compared to RC.

Advertisement