Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time Undergrad Hons Business Degree

Options
  • 22-05-2013 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

Just wondering has anyone any inside knowledge of doing a part-time undergraduate business degree?

I have been working for the last 13 years and more or less out of regular studying for the past few years. I was considering enrolling for this degree course in WIT this coming September was looking for any advice people could offer?

As i said i have a full time job 9-6 Monday to Friday so i just want to find out how difficult the workload is? I understand its two evenings during the week from 7pm - 10pm and possibly 3 hours on a Saturday morning also.

Does anyone know if this course would be considered difficult with a large workload? Also would anyone comment on how helpful lecturer's are and are they good at guiding people along the course who may feel the pace?

Any info would be very helpful.

Cheers
    F

Doing Part-time Degree difficult?? 2 votes

Easy
    0%
    Moderate
    50%
    cassette50 1 vote
    Difficult
    50%
    blackwave 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Difficult
    Done this course full time a few years ago and for the first three years there was no real issues with workload to be honest. I did have a good grasp on economics, so didnt need to work at that as much as others did so that saved me a lot of time. 4 year was a big step up if I am being honest due the the Thesis but it was manageable particularly if you are good at managing your time.
    Cant speak about the quality of the night lecturers but I can say that the ones for the undergrad were good for the most part you will always get a few dodgy lecturers but if you just do the work you will be able to manage the exams easy enough imo. The lecturers at WIT in the business school seem to be well regarded for their overall helpfulness, I never had a issue with any of them not helping me if I had a question bar one of the economics lecturers who I felt was useless. basically you should be grand for the first 3 years of the course but the final year is a big step up in workload, at least it was for me and my friends in full time. I did the marketing stream btw and can't speak highly enough of the lecturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fandango Power

Thanks Blackwave for the heads up, much appreciated. I suppose the main query i have is about time management with workload. I have just found out that this part-time course is now packed into 2 years rather than the 4 years doing it full-time. But thanks for the info.... very useful. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

blackwave wrote: »
    The lecturers at WIT in the business school seem to be well regarded for their overall helpfulness, I never had a issue with any of them not helping me if I had a question bar one of the economics lecturers who I felt was useless. .

I dont think any of us who took that course need to guess who the economics lecturer is anyway. Madness if he is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

thought id put this up in case you missed it

you have to do the certificate course first before doing the degree course

entry requirements for the degree course are
    completed the certificate in business or other relevant academic qualifications at third level and/or based on applicable work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fandango Power

Thanks for the info! I think I maybe ok on that front, someone was telling me that because I have years experience in business and have a level 7 qualification through LIA, I would be accepted on to course without much fuss. Thanks for the heads up though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Ken McCarthy

Hi,

I can't comment on the part time degree programme but another course that you could consider is the Higher Diploma in Business in Management. It is a Level 8 post graduate qualification and having just completed it myself I would recommend it highly. The workload was challenging but manageable and the lecturers were all very helpful and the mix of modules was good.

Full details are available on the WIT website at: http://www.wit.ie/courses/school/business/department_of_graduate_business_studies/higher_diploma_in_business_management_part_time

Hope this helps and feel free to drop me a message if you want any further information.

Cheers

Ken

Advertisement