Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spear Fishing

Options
  • 22-05-2013 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hey Guys,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about spear fishing in Ireland? My fella wants to go with his brother for his birthday in Donegal and we're wondering where the best places would be?
    Thaaaaanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jar18

tesco, letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

its not illegal as far as I know (neither is bow fishing) but I imagine it would be fairly difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

jar18 wrote: »
    tesco, letterkenny

Hilarious ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You'd probably be shot with a shotgun if you were seen spear fishing
    It's not illegal as far as I know but locals probably wonth take kindly to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

its not illegal as far as I know (neither is bow fishing) but I imagine it would be fairly difficult

The only legal method to catch freshwater fish is by rod and line. ( Control of fishing for coarse fish in fresh water bye law no. 595, 1977.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Bizzum wrote: »
    The only legal method to catch freshwater fish is by rod and line. ( Control of fishing for coarse fish in fresh water bye law no. 595, 1977.)

Yes those laws apply in freshwater ..not sure about saltwater

Yes those laws apply in freshwater ..not sure about saltwater

It would be my understanding that in saltwater, some species are protected, eg. Salmon, Sea Trout, but other species are afforded less protection. Protection of Animal Act (1911), in my opinion, could be also come into play, in certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its fine as long as you don't spear Salmonids or Bass out of season.
    Scuba or freediving it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

I've yet to meet someone who goes spear fishing in Ireland, so I'll find this thread interesting.

I presume your thinking about snorkeling in marine waters? Donegals coast line is pretty exposed so your options might be limited with regards finding a safe site (though there's plenty of diving sites around). Another thing is that the only fish you'll see in reasonable numbers would be Wrasse and some Pollock, it's very unlikely you'll see anything else.

I've done a little scuba diving and snorkeling, but to be honest I've only seen very small fish and only wrasse and pollock about. I think your chances of coming across a shoal of mackerel or herring are pretty slim, so I'm not sure what the attraction would be in our waters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I used have a French mate who did it regularly off Clare. He got some awesome stuff especially crustacean's. He was very experienced though. Water clarity was the main issue you need calm seas otherwise you won't see much. Come to think of it I also know a lad who does it from a boat in Galway bay also very experienced so its done and its legal. That's about all I know though!

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its fine as long as you don't spear Salmonids or Bass out of season.
    Scuba or freediving it doesn't matter.

Bass also have a bag limit (2) and a size limit (40cm) as well as a closed season of a month (15th may to 15th june)

I've done a little scuba diving and snorkeling, but to be honest I've only seen very small fish and only wrasse and pollock about. I think your chances of coming across a shoal of mackerel or herring are pretty slim, so I'm not sure what the attraction would be in our waters
    I have seen schools of Mackerel.
    Also speared plenty of fish here, Almaco Jack probably the most unusual, but Bass, Cod, Pollack, Red Mullet, Grey Mullet, Triggerfish are all species that I have taken over the years.
    You will see lots of fish freediving if you are stealthy.
    Scuba rattles and bubbles scare fish so you don't see as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I have seen schools of Mackerel.
    Also speared plenty of fish here, Almaco Jack probably the most unusual, but Bass, Cod, Pollack, Red Mullet, Grey Mullet, Triggerfish are all species that I have taken over the years.
    You will see lots of fish freediving if you are stealthy.
    Scuba rattles and bubbles scare fish so you don't see as much.

It's illegal to spaerfish on scuba. You can on snorkel but all normal fishing regulations for season and bag limits apply.
    Also.
    No licence is required in order to spearfish
    No licence is either required to own a spear gun provided it is a rubber banded one
    Sea Bass: A minimum size of 40cm
    It is illegal to spearfish sea trout or salmon
    Scallops: Minimum Shell Size 11cm
    Spider crab and Brown crab: minimum size for spider crab is 13cm
    Minimum size for brown crab is 13cm
    Lobster: minimum size is 87mm
    V-notched females should not be taken as it is illegal.
    It is illegal also to be spearfishing in freshwater(rivers, lakes)

Plenty of good spots in donegal.

Try here
    http://spearfishing.ie/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

...plus there are plenty of videos on youtube try a search with spearfishing Ireland

I knew someone who did for years and he was always successful... well nearly always anyway!

As a kid I remember that Great Outdoors in Dublin sold spearguns but I was in there a a few years ago and they'd long stopped selling them I was told.

It's illegal to spaerfish on scuba. You can on snorkel but all normal fishing regulations for season and bag limits apply.
    Also.
    No licence is required in order to spearfish
    No licence is either required to own a spear gun provided it is a rubber banded one
    Sea Bass: A minimum size of 40cm
    It is illegal to spearfish sea trout or salmon
    Scallops: Minimum Shell Size 11cm
    Spider crab and Brown crab: minimum size for spider crab is 13cm
    Minimum size for brown crab is 13cm
    Lobster: minimum size is 87mm
    V-notched females should not be taken as it is illegal.
    It is illegal also to be spearfishing in freshwater(rivers, lakes)

Plenty of good spots in donegal.

Try here
    http://spearfishing.ie/
    No. it's not illegal to spear on scuba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Jennii.

I've attracted a good bit of attention here hahaha. Thanks a million lads. Yous have answered a tonne of questions I never even thought to ask :O I was thinking Clare would be good, and I'm from Clare so that would be class, but he's from Donegal and his brother is coming from Australia to spend his birthday with him, so I think Care would be a travel they'd be unwilling to undertake. I was thinking Portnoo, they did mention the pier there? Or maybe Fintra? Nairn? I'm relatively new up here, so I wouldn't know anywhere. Somewhere rocky though? Portnoo springs to mind! ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

No. it's not illegal to spear on scuba.

Sorry your right. It is illegal to take/shoot shellfish and lobster. I freedive for scallops and crabs a bit so got the scuba side of it mixed up with spearfishing.
    Tried spearfishing once. Alot harder than it looks. I brushed of a few fins but never hit anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 zarat80

Advertisement