Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeh therapy experiences

Options
  • 22-05-2013 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

*Speech therapy*

My fella is 9.5 mths old and hasn't started babbling yet, no consonant sounds, just some vowels, grunts, squeals & of course laughing etc.

I questioned it with PHN today and she is referring him for speech therapy. Due to waiting times (& the fact that he's still a baby I guess) it'll be guts of a year before he's seen.

Slight possibility he may have a tongue tie & we are getting that ruled out/treated this week.

Just wondering if anyone had experience with speech therapy for kids so young as him or under 2 and any tips of what I can do at home with him.

His hearing is perfect (tested twice) and he seems to understand what we say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

This is a lot more common than you think. I work in the health services and know that the majority of speech and language therapy referrals are for pre-schoolers. I have the Sally Ward book "Baby Talk" which is brilliant. It gives ideas of what to do at each stage to stimulate speech and language. You can usually refer directly to speech therapy. This website is quite good as well http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/talk_to_your_baby
    Hope you find this useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Is that correct 9 and a half months?

Even at 19 and a half months lots of kids don't talk. I would be very surprised if a baby did speak at 9 and a half months.
    I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about that, it is perfectly normal. I wonder why the nurse referred you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Is that correct 9 and a half months?

Even at 19 and a half months lots of kids don't talk. I would be very surprised if a baby did speak at 9 and a half months.
    I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about that, it is perfectly normal. I wonder why the nurse referred you?

Well by 9mths they are normally supposed to have been babbling for a month or more, just "mamama", "da da da da" etc. Gobbledygook like but with consonants. They should have at least one word (like ball for example) by the time they are 1.

He has no words at all but doesn't babble, no consonants, not much oohing and ahhing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

NBO wrote: »
    This is a lot more common than you think. I work in the health services and know that the majority of speech and language therapy referrals are for pre-schoolers. I have the Sally Ward book "Baby Talk" which is brilliant. It gives ideas of what to do at each stage to stimulate speech and language. You can usually refer directly to speech therapy. This website is quite good as well http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/talk_to_your_baby
    Hope you find this useful

This is a brilliant help, thanks a million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Mink wrote: »
    Well by 9mths they are normally supposed to have been babbling for a month or more, just "mamama", "da da da da" etc. Gobbledygook like but with consonants. They should have at least one word (like ball for example) by the time they are 1.

He has no words at all but doesn't babble, no consonants, not much oohing and ahhing either.

My little girl didn't make any consonant sounds until 12 months and now at 17 months is starting to say the odd word. She definitely didn't have any word at 12 months. Her pediatrician said it's nothing to worry about yet as all babies develop at different rates but usually it all balances out by 2 years.

In saying that though my little one is learning 3 lamguages so that could add on more of a delay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Still I wouldn't worry, I know everyone says it but every child really develops so differently when they are so young.
    I presume the waiting list is extremely long for speech therapy.
    A friend of mine is waiting at least 7 months for her 3 year old for a public appointment. She paid for a private appointment in the mean time and was given some tips to practise with her daughter while she is waiting for the public appointment.
    Perhaps if you are still worried in a years time you could do the same. I don't know but I doubt a baby so young could be seen by a speech therapist.

Advertisement