Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvaging an aquarium heater thermostat for use with a brew mat.

Options
  • 22-05-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

DISCLAIMER- do NOT try this unless you are competent with the dangerous electrics & current calculations involved. I will not go into any more electrical details.

I have gone through many aquarium heaters over the years. I have a brew mat which has no control. I used to put it on a timer, say 15mins on 1 hour off, but this involved testing it and monitoring. I also used a dimmer switch with the same issue.

I took apart my aquarium heater and connected the brew mat wires to where the element usually is. I have 2 fermenters which can sit inside each other with a gap of maybe 50mm. I have the aquarium heater in the empty bottom fermenter which is on the brew mat and the fermenter with liquid slots into this bottom fermenter.

This means when the enclosed area with the aquarium heater reaches 25C or whatever, it will turn off the brew mat. It also means there is less fluctuation in the top bucket as there is a delay in heating

Advertisement