Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

portable HD for Ipad

• 22-05-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

HI,

I am considering getting myself an Ipad 4 in the not too distant future. I want to take all my files of my macbook and store them on a portable HD to use with Ipad.

What I want to know is what is the best portable HD for using with an IPad? I will be needing about 1tb of space.

cheers

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Probably wrong but I don't think you can use a hd with an iPad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

does it not have a USB port? I assumed as it had a USB port one could use a HD with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I will never understand this. You are preparing to spend over 500e on a device without actually reading the specs? iPads have never had USB

I will never understand this. You are preparing to spend over 500e on a device without actually reading the specs? iPads have never had USB

THANKFULLY ITS NOT ME WHO IS SPENDING IT BUT MY BOSS. IF YOU ARE WONDERING WHY i AM USING CAPS ITS SO YOU CAN HEAR ME UP THERE ON YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Now if anyone else could tell me an alternative to hooking a portable HD to an Ipad? Im assuming the USB adapters would work?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Tell your boss, it's a daft idea.
    and get a 11.6" macbook air, if he wants a similar footprint with that kind of storage.

• Advertisement

The company has a deal with an Ipad supplier so we get them relatively cheap. Also as a lot of the work we do is based on tablet presentations its better to have one for client presentations etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

If he insists, then I guess something like this would be best solution.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/seagate-satellite/

If he insists, then I guess something like this would be best solution.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/seagate-satellite/

Now thats what I am talking about!!

Cheers ZF,

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Or just use cloud storage. There's plenty to choose from with free gb: box, google drive, Dropbox, skydrive or even apples own icloud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

frag420 wrote: »
    Now thats what I am talking about!!

Cheers ZF,

I have one of these....as far as I remember all movies etc have to be MP4, it doesnt recognise AVI or MKV

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

THANKFULLY ITS NOT ME WHO IS SPENDING IT BUT MY BOSS. IF YOU ARE WONDERING WHY i AM USING CAPS ITS SO YOU CAN HEAR ME UP THERE ON YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Now if anyone else could tell me an alternative to hooking a portable HD to an Ipad? Im assuming the USB adapters would work?

cheers

No need to shout. Nor am I on a high horse. I still say a simple google of the specs (present or not though you did say 'getting myself') would be standard procedure on any piece of equipment before you get it and it is extremely widely known that there is no USB ports on iPads.

I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

You say your getting it yourself but then say it's your boss that's getting it?? Interesting!

You can get wireless ones but u wud be restricted to using them as you would need wi-fi access! Like said above just use cloud storage! It's the way forward! And if u want to watch movies just stick them on the iPad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭squonk

cheers

With an attitude like that you frankly don't deserve help. 5 seconds on Google gets you this...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

I'd suggest you read them :)

etxp wrote: »
    You say your getting it yourself but then say it's your boss that's getting it?? Interesting!

You can get wireless ones but u wud be restricted to using them as you would need wi-fi access! Like said above just use cloud storage! It's the way forward! And if u want to watch movies just stick them on the iPad!

Im getting it, he is paying for it. It will be used 50/50 for work and personal use. I just want a portable way to have my movies and music that is easy to transfer to the Ipad when needed.

squonk wrote: »
    With an attitude like that you frankly don't deserve help. 5 seconds on Google gets you this...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

I'd suggest you read them :)

Like I said in my second post I just assumed it had a USB port. Its hardly crime of the century eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

iPads are nice devices in some ways but they've no USB connections or memory card slots.

Storage is either internal or else you can use iCloud, Dropbox, google drive etc

I'd strongly suggest you consider another device if you need that kind of storage. Really tablets in general aren't a great solution of that's what you need.

I'd suggest maybe looking at an ultra portable full computer like the MacBook Air or else a 'transformer' device that is a laptop / tablet running windows 8.

The iPad is primarily a media consumption device, as are most android tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭endacl

cheers

Two iPads. Double the capacity.

Or iCloud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

What you are trying to do isn't simple on the iPad. Have a read through of the compatible video files support before you purchase. Also there are other apps you can install to play additional file types (mkv and divx encoded avi for example). Or you can stream from netflix, or other services. For music on the go you could use spotify, or iTunes match which gives you access to more music than you can store on the largest iPad.

That said, you can't just attach a USB drive and copy files to the iPad. It doesn't work that way, never has and it's unlikely to do so anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

That said, you can't just attach a USB drive and copy files to the iPad. It doesn't work that way, never has and it's unlikely to do so anytime soon.

Yes you can - thats what the Camera Connection Kit is for. So as long as they are in a readable format.
    The Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader and the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter are available for the iPad (4th generation) or iPad mini separately. For iPad (3rd generation) and earlier, the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit includes both the camera connector and an SD card reader for importing photos and videos.

And it can be used for other niceties such as Midi Control, keyboards, Soundcards etc ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Ehhh nope, that device cannot transfer movies or music to the iPad as is the want of the op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Tazium wrote: »
    Ehhh nope, that device cannot transfer movies or music to the iPad as is the want of the op.

My bad, It would do movies, but not music .. and then there is the TB of space requirement by the OP.

Advertisement