Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Non Resident Bank Accounts

Options
  • 22-05-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

I've been on to BNP in Paris about opening a French savings account and I should be getting a call back tomorrow.

Just wondering if anyone else has opened non resident accounts abroad, France, Germany etc. recently? Is it a straightforward KYC type process or is there extra hassle involved?

The "Livret A" seems the standard French deposit account at 1.75% (across all french banks it seems) though capped at c. €25k and is on demand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

if your saving in a french bank account for financial safety you might want to look at the economy its tanked. Holland hasnt done anything as of yet and looks as if hes got no idea what to do. More dept and state sponsored jobs seem to be the order of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

The french banks are doing quite well though and are safe enough: BNP A+ A+ and A2 is better than all the junk rated irish banks. France is AA+ while the irish state is BBB+.

The safest deposits in ireland by bank are rabo and danske but your funds are held in the irish central bank so ultimately in a euro break up you'll get PIIGS euros not franco-german euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd prefer German ones than Franco-German ones tbh.

Advertisement