Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proving ovens

Options
  • 22-05-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Is there like a mobile proving oven you can buy, I know I know there's always the hot press or turning your oven into a makeshift one etc. but I really couldn't be bothered having heating on if we get a summer or going to more trouble as kneading etc. is a pain as is. Is there one you can just plug in and leave stuff in it to prove on the counter top?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Throw a hot water bottle in a small press?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

CianRyan wrote: »
    Throw a hot water bottle in a small press?

That's a really good idea - you could use a cooler box I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Do you have a microwave? If it's big enough to fit the bowl of dough, leave a small jug/mug of very hot water in the microwave for a few minutes, then put in the dough, friend of mine does this and works a treat, like a mini steam room :). You still need to cover the dough with damp towel obv. Great idea to keep the oven free for other things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Lakeland sells something like that: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16904/Folding-Proofer

But, to be honest, there are better things to spend £149 on. I'd much prefer the microwave or hot water bottle idea!

Alternatively you could get a top-notch breadmaker for that kind of money. That would knead and prove for you. You can still bake the bread in the oven if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I was just googling and one suggestion was putting the dough in the back of the car or covered at the back of the car window..anyone tried this. The car was toasty warm yesterday maybe too warm?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't risk it. The car can easily get way too hot. You don't want to kill off the yeast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This is interesting. Does anyone know what temperature is required to prove dough? I wonder if flicking the heating switch to get the hot press warm for a few hours would work. If all the radiators are switched off it couldn't be that expensive to run could it? Or maybe time it so it coincides with someone heating the water to have a shower or bath.

The best temperature for proving is around 30 °C. 50 °C and above will kill the yeast. If the temperature is lower the proving time will be longer. Some recipes even call for the dough to prove overnight. A long cool proving results in a fluffier and tastier bread.

Advertisement