Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Broadband in Letterkenny

Options
  • 22-05-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭

We've been struggling for the last few years with broadband and it's just not getting any better. I live just behind Woodland school, and the only internet provider we can get is Eircom. We're meant to be getting NGB but the max we can get here is 0.9m download. We're paying €55 for the privilege of this service and it's been getting worse.

We're tried almost every provider in the area, but nobody can work on Eircom's line. We had Digiweb out this morn for the 2nd time to test their Metro service (doesn't need a phone line) but we're too low down so it's never going to receive a signal and any other company that doesn't use a phoneline can never pick up a signal. Looks like we need to go satellite if we're going to improve.

The problem is that even a package with a 30g cap probably won't be enough. Myself and my wife, plus our 2 kids use the internet and while nobody can get really get on youtube or stream/download films, i reckon once we get satellite we'd end up using a lot more. At the moment, we'd use close to 30g a month as it is. I'd looked at Qsat, Digiweb, onwave, kbo and some others but they range from €99-€249 for installation and from €70 for a 30gb cap up to close to €100 p.m for unlimited.

Is anyone with any of this companies or can offer me an ideas or something different to look into, it would be appreciated. Thanks folks

2724458189.png

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

North West Broadband (possibly BNorth West Electronics) do a service but i don't know if it would reach you.

Digiweb satellite (http://digiweb.ie/home/broadband/satellite) I know you said you need more than the 20gb cap for 60 quid but the site mentions something about unlimited nighttime you should look into that. (sorry can't get more info on it ie6 keeps crashing on me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

danniemcq wrote: »
    North West Broadband (possibly BNorth West Electronics) do a service but i don't know if it would reach you.

Digiweb satellite (http://digiweb.ie/home/broadband/satellite) I know you said you need more than the 20gb cap for 60 quid but the site mentions something about unlimited nighttime you should look into that. (sorry can't get more info on it ie6 keeps crashing on me!)

We applied to NWB in December and at the beginning of the month, we asked them for an update. They lost the form and told us that we can apply again but it will take another 3 months before they can come out and see if we are suitable. We said that we've already waited 5 months and they said there's nothing they can do but.......if we pay 12 months in advance at the time of installation (along with installation) they could magically come out and do it within 2-4 weeks, or on a Saturday from 6-8 weeks. I thought this was the height of ignorance so we have them on the backburner for now :(

Yeah there's unlimited downloads between 11pm-7am on a couple of sites so that's an option if there's nothing else we can do

Flushdraw wrote: »
    We applied to NWB in December and at the beginning of the month, we asked them for an update. They lost the form and told us that we can apply again but it will take another 3 months before they can come out and see if we are suitable. We said that we've already waited 5 months and they said there's nothing they can do but.......if we pay 12 months in advance at the time of installation (along with installation) they could magically come out and do it within 2-4 weeks, or on a Saturday from 6-8 weeks. I thought this was the height of ignorance so we have them on the backburner for now :(

Yeah there's unlimited downloads between 11pm-7am on a couple of sites so that's an option if there's nothing else we can do

ah right thought it might be a kinda off peak like calls so it was cheaper after 6.

NW though thats crazy! I know some people use them and have no complaints but others myself included have had issues with them in the past thought by now they might have got their act together.

How it could possibly take 3 months just to check coverage i have no idea

Looking at who you have tried before have you tried vodafone, UTV or Smart? the first 2 i believe work on Eircoms lines (and usually are quicker) whereas Smart use their own (you might be a bit far out though)

ah right thought it might be a kinda off peak like calls so it was cheaper after 6.

NW though thats crazy! I know some people use them and have no complaints but others myself included have had issues with them in the past thought by now they might have got their act together.

How it could possibly take 3 months just to check coverage i have no idea

Looking at who you have tried before have you tried vodafone, UTV or Smart? the first 2 i believe work on Eircoms lines (and usually are quicker) whereas Smart use their own (you might be a bit far out though)

Seemingly if we use Eircom's own line, we won't be able to improve on their speed, although Digiweb checked and said our line should be receiving 3meg download. That's something we need to look into and maybe get a Digiweb engineer to see if they can produce that speed because 0.9m max is just a nightmare. I used SMART in Dublin and they were ok but they don't cover our area unless something has changed in the last 18 months. The joys of living in the sticks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

I'm sort of in the same situation as you.

I posted in another thread that I've ordered Imagine Wimax and it should be installed late this week or early next week. I've signed up for the 10mb package, but only if I only get 2 or 3mb it will be a big improvement.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was with Vodafone for a few years before signing up for Sky broadband/calls. Just before I left i was on to their support team one day and the guy asked what speed I was getting. Out of a 8meg package i was always getting around 6.10/6.15 which was fairly constant. He said he would increase that a bit for me and for the last few weeks I was with them I was getting a fairly steady 7 meg download.

Point of the story? Well, at the flick of a switch they were able to increase my download speed.

@Flushdraw....Vodafone have a couple of good packages and while I appreciate that they use Eircom's lines they do have the ability to adjust the download speeds it seems. Even Sky is good value particularly if you are making a lot of calls to a lot of European countries, USA, Canada, Australia.

I would suggest ringing some of the other ISPs and ask them to check your line and see what they can offer. Maybe ring Eircom and tell them you're leaving as the service isn't up to scratch - I know that worked for a couple of people in the past where the speeds magically increased a wee bit after the phone call.

Also check with the neigbours who have broadband and see what speeds they're getting and with who?

Hope you get sorted :)

Technique wrote: »

I posted in another thread that I've ordered Imagine Wimax and it should be installed late this week or early next week. I've signed up for the 10mb package, but only if I only get 2 or 3mb it will be a big improvement.

Where abouts in town are you? Rough area idea will do! The closer you are to the post office the better.

Aim the flat side with wimax towards the post office tower for best results. Also a curved sheet of of tinfoil behind it can help but AFAIK for op he is to far out of town as even at tara court you need a big aerial for good reception.

Where abouts in town are you? Rough area idea will do! The closer you are to the post office the better.

Aim the flat side with wimax towards the post office tower for best results. Also a curved sheet of of tinfoil behind it can help but AFAIK for op he is to far out of town as even at tara court you need a big aerial for good reception.

About 3 or 4 miles out of town, but I can see the post office!

They said that they're fitting the external antenna for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Flushdraw wrote: »
    We've been struggling for the last few years with broadband and it's just not getting any better. I live just behind Woodland school, and the only internet provider we can get is Eircom. We're meant to be getting NGB but the max we can get here is 0.9m download. We're paying €55 for the privilege of this service and it's been getting worse.

We're tried almost every provider in the area, but nobody can work on Eircom's line. We had Digiweb out this morn for the 2nd time to test their Metro service (doesn't need a phone line) but we're too low down so it's never going to receive a signal and any other company that doesn't use a phoneline can never pick up a signal. Looks like we need to go satellite if we're going to improve.

The problem is that even a package with a 30g cap probably won't be enough. Myself and my wife, plus our 2 kids use the internet and while nobody can get really get on youtube or stream/download films, i reckon once we get satellite we'd end up using a lot more. At the moment, we'd use close to 30g a month as it is. I'd looked at Qsat, Digiweb, onwave, kbo and some others but they range from €99-€249 for installation and from €70 for a 30gb cap up to close to €100 p.m for unlimited.

Is anyone with any of this companies or can offer me an ideas or something different to look into, it would be appreciated. Thanks folks

2724458189.png

Tony

If I was you I'd contact North West Electronics again, you should have no problem with coverage in Woodlands, the transmitters (more than one pointing in your direction) are over in Manor and a lot of people out the Ramelton road have it. Try and talk to a manager or supervisor and see if they can bump you up the list. For €25/€30 its actually very good and bar a major outage they had last year for a few days, their service is very stable lately.

Senna wrote: »
    If I was you I'd contact North West Electronics again, you should have no problem with coverage in Woodlands, the transmitters (more than one pointing in your direction) are over in Manor and a lot of people out the Ramelton road have it. Try and talk to a manager or supervisor and see if they can bump you up the list. For €25/€30 its actually very good and bar a major outage they had last year for a few days, their service is very stable lately.

Think they are the ones trying to mess him around with a 3 month wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

3 have a new router that I have tested and its around 100% better than their mifi. its a HUAWEI B683 and it can be got on the national Broadband Scheme at €20 a month for a 40gb allowance

Think they are the ones trying to mess him around with a 3 month wait

Yeah, its not quick service, but that's what I meant by "speak to a manager", try and get them to bump you up the list.

We reapplied to Bluebox and they're going to 'see' if they can bump us up the list. We talked to the people in our estate that have it and they said it's worth going for. Thanks for all your help

I would hound them, phone calls, emails, even call into the office if you're in Derry, basically get them to do the install quicker just to shut you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I had to wait a year for my upgrade with nwb. Only took him a half hour when he did come. I cannot understand why they don't hire more employees.

Technique wrote: »

This morning:

2736274767.png

More than happy with that. It will be interesting to see what it's like at evenings/weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 taxidot

Tony , i feel your pain, im in Roscommon and up to recently it was like tins and string.. however i took a chance on Qsat satellite broadband and after a few teething problems i'm finally happy with what i have .. one this tho is - the router they supply with the system just isnt man enough to convert the wifi.. so i purchased a netgear 300 in Currys and no im getting up to 12g.... big chance from1-2 on o2 .. ! Mine is 34 euro a month for 8 g download .. dunno if thats any good for you but i do find they dont charge of u go over your allowance and seem very negotiable if you need a bigger package !
    Hope this helps 1

Advertisement