Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Remove a virus from a pc....

Options
  • 22-05-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

What's the going rate for removing Virus's from pc's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Most computer stores will remove for about €50 i find, but sometimes if your a little bit tech savvy google can be your friend here and save you a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Norton offer a 15 day free trial you could download that and remove the virus

uninstall Nortons and download Microsoft Own Virus Scanner its free.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Very easy to do yourself.

Download microsoft security essentials, malwarebytes. If you can't get online with the infected machine, download on another and put them onto a pen drive.

Reboot pc and put it into safe mode by tapping F8 as the computer reboots.

Once in safe mode, uninstall any old antivirus software, run malwarebytes and do a full scan.

[Once that's done, fix any issues and install microsoft security essentials.

Once it's installed, reboot and allow it to update.
      Do windows updates and a full scan in MSE and malwarebytes and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

As above, only try Avast or AVG instead of MSE. I havent found MSE to be as good as Avast.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,317 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

not all viruses will remove so easily, and sometimes the only the solution is to fully format the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Most PC repair services would charge anywhere from €50 to €100 - it's not specific to remove an infection since it could be done regardless with a cleanup service.

Use a free trial of Webroot SecureAnywhere - 700KB client with cloud based determinations and a 5 second install time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Overheal wrote: »
    not all viruses will remove so easily, and sometimes the only the solution is to fully format the machine.

This. Some infections like the 'fbi' virus that was about a while ago are a fecker to remove. Start in safe mode, reboots the PC, start normally and all you get is a white screen!

A boot disk from some of the vendors may be the way to go before wiping the machine though.

petes wrote: »
    This. Some infections like the 'fbi' virus that was about a while ago are a fecker to remove. Start in safe mode, reboots the PC, start normally and all you get is a white screen!

A boot disk from some of the vendors may be the way to go before wiping the machine though.
    The FBI is not actually difficult to remove, a new user profile should be created via Safe Mode with Command Prompt to remove the rogue from AppData / ProgramData.
    net user newprofilename /add and press ENTER.
    net localgroup administrators newprofilename /add and press ENTER.
    shutdown -r and press ENTER to restart.

It can alter your default EXE settings but that's easily fixed with a reg file.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Overheal wrote: »

+1,
    Once your PC is compromised the only way to know your 100% free from infection is to reformat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

advertsfox wrote: »
    The FBI is not actually difficult to remove, a new user profile should be created via Safe Mode with Command Prompt to remove the rogue from AppData / ProgramData.

It can alter your default EXE settings but that's easily fixed with a reg file.

It isn't. My reply was mainly to the posts above yours and mine. Most people wouldn't be able to do this so they can't install anything as they can't boot into Windows or safe mode. That is why I recommended a boot disk.

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »
    It isn't. My reply was mainly to the posts above yours and mine. Most people wouldn't be able to do this so they can't install anything as they can't boot into Windows or safe mode. That is why I recommended a boot disk.
    Think I missed my "too" before difficult ;) Completely agree, boot disks have been saviours for me many a time.

Advertisement