Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Reaction to Vaping....madness

Options
  • 22-05-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

I've been reading the /r/vaping on Reddit and the reaction in the US to Vaping seems to be insane.
    Pharma companies and Big tobacco are trying everything in their power to ban e-cigs, get them banned from 'smoke-free' areas, and have accusations from universities made that there is no evidence that they help reduce 'real' smoking, contain deadly chemicals and are as bad as normal smoking.

I'm flummoxed. Then I read the location...USA, and I'm less so.
    Then I see the domino-effect of individual US states in the decriminalisation and legalisation of Marijuana and it hits me again.

OK, I'm not surprised that pharma companies are fighting this. They want Nicorette or whatever to sell and vaping will hit their profits.
    Big tobacco, likewise.
    But universities? Centres of education and medical training like Nursing colleges are spreading this disinformation!!

It mightn't affect us and we can (for the moment) have a laugh at their stupidity, but as we are likely fall in with their ways of thinking (policy-wise) I wouldn't be surprised if this propaganda appears over here soon.

Does that mean weed will be legalised here in the next decade ? lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

That propaganda has been here a while, read up on the EU Tobacco Products Directive.

Any university that has come out against it has had their studies headed by researchers who've been living off of grants provided by Pfizer. What a strange coincidence!

Our own Dr. James Reilly and Nessa Childers would rather we die rather than greatly reduce risk. Vile wastes of flesh and taxpayer's money - t'would be a great gift if they'd give up on life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Pique wrote: »
    I've been reading the /r/vaping on Reddit and the reaction in the US to Vaping seems to be insane.
    Pharma companies and Big tobacco are trying everything in their power to ban e-cigs, get them banned from 'smoke-free' areas, and have accusations from universities made that there is no evidence that they help reduce 'real' smoking, contain deadly chemicals and are as bad as normal smoking.

I'm flummoxed. Then I read the location...USA, and I'm less so.
    Then I see the domino-effect of individual US states in the decriminalisation and legalisation of Marijuana and it hits me again.

OK, I'm not surprised that pharma companies are fighting this. They want Nicorette or whatever to sell and vaping will hit their profits.
    Big tobacco, likewise.
    But universities? Centres of education and medical training like Nursing colleges are spreading this disinformation!!

It mightn't affect us and we can (for the moment) have a laugh at their stupidity, but as we are likely fall in with their ways of thinking (policy-wise) I wouldn't be surprised if this propaganda appears over here soon.

Does that mean weed will be legalised here in the next decade ? lol

I think anyone who tries to stop people seeking a better more healthier alternative to 'tobacco' smoking,,needs to 'seriously' get psychiatric help,,we started smoking because of propaganda,not realising (young and dumb)how seriously damaging to humans health, this filthy habit was,,, so I think it's time tobacco companies opened there eyes and realise that this is the future and vaping is here to STAY,,, I've been vaping 2 months and feeling the benefits every day,,basically I feel like I've quit smoking!!! I have, haven't I?? p.s I recommend vaping to everybody trying to quit the 'dirty,smelly,filthy,numerous disease causing, tobacco,,and I look forward to every f*&%$g tobacco factory in the WORLD crumbling like a rotten tobacco leaf:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't smoke, except for the holidays in retail? but they want you to feel like "the risks if e-cigs are SCARY AND UNKNOWN" compared to the shyte found in your average cigarette.

Personally my only complaint has been from self-important e-smokers that do it indoors. I don't care that it hasn't been outlawed but it's just not a classy move and I think it looks tank as an indoor activity. On the other hand, it can be a nice way to save yourself a trip out to the cold in the winter so live if let live.

I don't have any problem believing this crap though. Monsanto has done the same for agriculture as Pzfier (sp?) has done for pharmacy. I wish they'd just disappear, they're the end result of the negative ends of capitalism, a good economic system but clearly imperfect

Overheal wrote: »
    I think it looks tank as an indoor activity.
    Tank? Or rank? Not sure if this is some new slang I'm missing out on.
    If it is 'rank' I disagree. That slight mist in a pub is something I'd love to see making a comeback, as well as the opportunity to smell something other than farts.
    Overheal wrote: »
    I don't have any problem believing this crap though. Monsanto has done the same for agriculture as Pzfier (sp?) has done for pharmacy. I wish they'd just disappear, they're the end result of the negative ends of capitalism, a good economic system but clearly imperfect
    Don't hate the game, hate the players. It's always the greedy people's fault that they can't act responsibly. You wouldn't blame a car if the owner chose to smash into a wall.
    Poor Capitalism didn't do nawtin' beh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

grindle wrote: »
    ... Any university that has come out against it has had their studies headed by researchers who've been living off of grants provided by Pfizer. ...
    There is nothing new about this, it's been going on for decades with drug companies, medical device manufacturers, etc. "Do as we tell you or your 'research and consultancy funding' get's cut."

I'm not particularly pro or anti e-smoking, just not near me thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

mathepac wrote: »
    I'm not particularly pro or anti e-smoking, just not near me thanks.

Can I ask what the reason is for that?
    Does the exhaled water vapour irritate you? Do you not like the smell?
    If I 'stealth-vaped' would you mind?

just curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

There is still nicotine involved, I guess he doesn't want to be inhaling second hand Nic? Though he wouldn't be, as nicotine gets soaked in right away, it's only steam really, that we're exhaling.

Nothing surprises me about reactions to vaping in the states. The tobacco companies seem to have major clout over there, even more so than in Europe. They're scare mongering to try stop people switching over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Pique wrote: »
    Can I ask what the reason is for that? ...
    Former smoker.

Nothing surprises me about reactions to vaping in the states. The tobacco companies seem to have major clout over there, even more so than in Europe. They're scare mongering to try stop people switching over.

The pharmaceuticals are much greater enemies, tobacco can always join our party (as many are doing) and completely take over the industry.
    Ecigs make the NRT industry pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

mathepac wrote: »
    Former smoker.

I can understand that sentiment. It would be like being a reformed gambling addict and being made to stand beside someone enjoying playing on a one armed bandit. Or being a reformed playa playa and going to a club full of hot girls and not taking one of them home with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rattleshakes

Tobacco companies will embrace ecigs,they have no choice,unless they want to become another Kodak,but will also be pushing for legislation in an attempt to crush any competition from smaller ecig businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rattleshakes

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Or being a reformed playa playa and going to a club full of hot girls and not taking one of them home with you.

I took a hot girl home once,i think...ermm actually no,that...that never happened:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Can I ask what the reason is for that?
    Does the exhaled water vapour irritate you? Do you not like the smell?
    If I 'stealth-vaped' would you mind?

My Girlfriend can't stand the smell of Tobacco, Forest Fruit or Peach Juice, pretty much all other juices are fine.

Some people just don't like the smell of certain things, I can understand that they feel that don't deserve to have the smell they don't like wafting around them when they are out and about in the pub, supermarket, cafe or whatever.

Lets be fair, its my, addiction, my indulgence why should I make anyone else miserable or angry because of it ?

Honestly I prefer to make the effort to go to the smoking areas, or just a reasonably deserted area if there are alot of people around.

Advertisement