Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Water Swim Meet Ups 2013

Options
  • 22-05-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Following on from last years thread i thought a new thread might be of use for people planning to head OW swimming. Idea being there's 1) safety in numbers, 2) it could provide draft practise and 3) also provide a chance to get some rough and tumble practise in.

A good site for tides is - http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/
    good thread on safety here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056951157

Im planning on heading for the North Wall tomorrow morning for 07:45 if anyone is interested? With first race being Saturday i am not going to be too long, say 20mins in the water.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Did you go in Bambatta? What was the temp like?

A few of us will be doing a few laps of Wicklow Harbour tonight at 8:30pm if anyone's interested in joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I was out at the Bull Wall last night, water temp was surprisingly okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

Bambaata wrote: »
    With first race being Saturday i am not going to be too long, say 20mins in the water.

First race of the OW season is Sat Jun1st Half Moon at Killiney Beach, if thats the race you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

A few heading out to Seapoint at 8pm tonight if anyone wants to join us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Slept it this morning so going for about 7:45pm this evening when the tide is back suitable again.

• Advertisement

This was highlighted on the Swimming Forum- its a great site for real-time sea temperatures.

http://www.seatemperature.org/europe/ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

First dip in the Irish Sea last night and it was not as cold as i expected. Lake swim tonight should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Does anyone know if the lifeguards are on duty in Killiney, Sandycove and Seapoint from this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Wicklow Harbour 6:45 this evening.

Water looked fantastic last night.

Abhainn wrote: »
    Wicklow Harbour 6:45 this evening.

Water looked fantastic last night.

I'll hope to be there, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Managed to slip the wetsuit off for a bit in the lake last night, it was class. A few cold spots in the lake had me gasping a little though. I think our little lake is around 15 at the moment so heating up nicely.

Sweet, good to hear. Might attempt that next time i happen to be down home

It's fairly stormy where I am in South Wicklow- meant to be swimming in Wicklow Harbour this evening, anyone know what the waves are like down there at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    It's fairly stormy where I am in South Wicklow- meant to be swimming in Wicklow Harbour this evening, anyone know what the waves are like down there at the moment?

Forecast for coasts from Rossan Point to Howth Head to Roche's Point and the Irish Sea -
    Wind: Southerly force 6 or 7 and gusty and occasionally gale force 8. Winds will decrease force 5 or 6 this afternoon and veer more southwesterly. Winds will veer west to northwesterly this evening and early tonight and will later decrease force 3 to 5.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Forecast for coasts from Rossan Point to Howth Head to Roche's Point and the Irish Sea -
    Wind: Southerly force 6 or 7 and gusty and occasionally gale force 8. Winds will decrease force 5 or 6 this afternoon and veer more southwesterly. Winds will veer west to northwesterly this evening and early tonight and will later decrease force 3 to 5.

I think the chop will allow for great sighting practice! I was going to wuss out, but feck it I'll go down for a couple of laps (won't do 4k though). What time were you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I think the chop will allow for great sighting practice! I was going to wuss out, but feck it I'll go down for a couple of laps (won't do 4k though). What time were you thinking of?

Earlier the better. I was thinking between 5 and 6? How does that suit?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Earlier the better. I was thinking between 5 and 6? How does that suit?

Ok I'll try and make it, if I'm not there by 5 go on without me.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Just out of interest, I assume people drive to open water swims, I was thinking of doing some myself but where do peeps leave the car keys? Is there a waterproof pouch one can get to stick into the wetsuit??

Anyone swimming in the morning? Im planning on making the most of the good sun and getting in around 10/11am wherever

Wicklow Harbour, tonight at 7pm for a couple of laps, myself and Abhainn, anyone else who's legs need some splishy splashy recovery lovin' are welcome to join.

• Advertisement

Anyone swimming at any time of the day today, tomorrow, Saturday? Am off work this week so anytime suits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bambaata wrote: »
    Anyone swimming at any time of the day today, tomorrow, Saturday? Am off work this week so anytime suits

Was thinking of my first OW swim of the year on Saturday. Bull wall high tide at 13:30 so time for a cycle in the morning first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Anybody plan swimming in any location in Dublin, any evening this week? I'm only bringing my wetsuit back up to Dublin on Monday, for what will be my first swim in Irish waters for over three years. I might need someone to hold my hand on the way into the water.

Advertisement