Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lif changing decision-need advice

Options
  • 22-05-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am sick and tired of being unhappy at my careere. And before I turn 40 I want to be happy at my career choices. I am considering going back to college and applying for a games development course at pulse college full time. Now I am not a millionaire and making ends meet is tough at the moment. So I am wondering how much is the back to education allowance? How much is it usually?

I am married with no children and my rent is 575 a month. I know any allowance is gonna be stretch but if I can get my rent covered and whatever bills need covering I can survive. Also can one get rent supplement when on the Back to education allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Hi, to get the Back to Education Allowance at third level you have to have been unemployed for at least 9 months. It's €188 per week as long as you're over 25. It's not means tested and you can work without it affecting the payment. More info here: http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/353_Back-to-Education-Allowance.aspx

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

BTEA is now paid at the same rate as whatever Social welfare payment you would be on were you not on BTEA. The amount varies depending on circumstances, whether or not you have child or adult dependent on your claim for example.
    To my knowledge the maximum rates of payment on Jobseekers Benefit are €188 for the man claimant, €124.80 for a qualified adult dependent and €29.80 for each qualified child dependent. If your partner is working their income will be taken into account and if they earn over €310 approx per week you wont receive any payment for them. I would advise you to check those rates with DSP as they may have been changed since last year.
    Info from http://www.inou.ie/welfarerights/

Regarding the rent supplement you usually need to be getting it before you go on BTEA.

Advertisement