Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving oven on while out?

Options
  • 22-05-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

I want to make a chilli tonight and leave it cooking for abut an hour and a half/2 hours total on a low heat in a dutch oven. Is it ok to leave this in the oven while i go out for about an hour?
    My boyfriend was meant to be home but he has been called into work and I dont want to miss my exercise class. If i wait til i get home from that it will be midnight before i am eating. I did a google search and seem to be getting 50/50 opinions. I would be a bit nervous but I have a bit of OCD about things being unplugged/turned off before I go out - my boyfriend and work colleagues think it'd be fine.

Would appreciate opinions/thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I do this all the time. Low oven-150 C. so it won't dry out. I've recently gone out for 4 or 5 hours at a time with pork joints in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭dmc17

Well, if you leave it on there's a chance that your house will be burned down when you get back and then your chilli will be ruined :)

dmc17 wrote: »
    Well, if you leave it on there's a chance that your house will be burned down when you get back and then your chilli will be ruined :)

Not helpful.

Not helpful.

Yes it is. I'm advising her not to leave her oven on while she's out. She asked for opinions. That would be my opinion!!

Yes it is. I'm advising her not to leave her oven on while she's out. She asked for opinions. That would be my opinion!!

There's every chance that something in your house has developed an electrical fault and your house is burning now.
    Better get home quick.

• Advertisement

There's every chance that something in your house has developed an electrical fault and your house is burning now.
    Better get home quick.

I am home :confused:

No harm in taking precautions to reduce risk.

Do you have any statistics, professional knowledge or experience to back up this risk you proclaim?

Do you have any statistics, professional knowledge or experience to back up this risk you proclaim?

Why would you need statistics. It's basic common sense.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's basic common sense.
    Is it? What's the process by which an oven at low temperature can burn a house down?

It's basic common sense.

A very rare thing indeed!

OP I have in my forty something years never had an oven go on fire and I have never known anyone who's oven went on fire, in fact never even heard of one go on fire.
    I'd suggest you pay no heed to our resident scare monger who has nothing to back up their advice, which was given in a rather flippant way to begin with.

Why do nearly all ovens have timer settings if it is unsafe to have them on unattended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For appliance safety advice - please check out a suitable forum in the Rec > Home & Garden forums.

Thanks,

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement