Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just what Galway DOESN'T Need :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's a quite large hole in the ground in Mervue, beside Eircom.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/25920-backers-say-%E2%82%AC400m-mervue-development-still-viable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd much rather see Crown Square finished off in preference to this

kraggy wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something here but are all of the businesses in the area, including the church, willing to sell?
    They already sold out to a group of developers bit by bit but the bank appointed a receiver to the group and the total site was resold.

It will probably be years (or decades?) before this is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Might the reason you cant find/fit into a jumper be anything to do with eating in McDonalds, im gonna say yes.

In fairness I too find Galway poor for clothes shopping. I will always find what I want when I go to Dublin in shops like pull & bear, gap, H&M and places like that. Galway is hands down one of the worst places for shoe shopping unless you want high tops or runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I'd much rather see Crown Square finished off in preference to this

But that's a non city centre shopping center that will require people to use cars. We can't be having that.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

another plastic grey non-character building then to go up in Galway. What is it with Galway - does everything have to go along the "high street" grey look. Have city planners / developers ever gone abroad to see other European countries and how they keep things in character and are proud of it. No, seems like galway has to keep the "grey and dreary" effect. Another shopping center we do not need . Most people try on what they want in shops and order online for cheaper. It will be a white elephant.

Just read yesterday that the lovely mural over the jeweler shop by ti coli's has to be taken down now. I wonder is it because it is too cheerful and bright looking.

Sometime I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Could it be developed more as an entertainment complex than a shopping centre? Somewhere you could actually spend some time instead of wandering through another 20 generic clothes shops. Just puling things off the top of my head but bowling (is there even a proper bowling alley in the city?), video games area, exhibition/science museum type area, theatre/concert hall, and the usual shops, restaurants, bars etc

Not gonna happen obviously but I really don't see how yet another area filled with the same old boring high street shops is needed

Harps wrote: »
    Just puling things off the top of my head but bowling (is there even a proper bowling alley in the city?), video games area,

Isn't there one of those in Galway shopping centre? I know there used to be, but I haven't gone in there for a while so I've no idea if it's still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

There's a bowling alley here http://planetgalway.ie/

zero19 wrote: »
    There's a bowling alley here http://planetgalway.ie/

That's the one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Brad768 wrote: »
    Well, I feel the most important question here is: Will it have a Nando's?

:pac: Good ol' Galway. Sure we have everything else, why not!

I did have concerns about traffic for this proposal, but by the time it's built we'll all have hover cars. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder is it because it is too cheerful and bright looking.

It pretty much is.

This is Ireland. Dull, grey and dreary is your / our heritage. Cheery looks out of place, so will not be approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It pretty much is.

This is Ireland. Dull, grey and dreary is your / our heritage. Cheery looks out of place, so will not be approved.

Ah now. Don't forget the Long Walk and Ballyvaughan! We don't want our houses to upstage our greenery either :p
    Partly joking but for all our grey weather, we are often chosen for film location for our 'vivid colour' according to a filmmaker friend. Amount of moisture in the air refracting light or something...and completely straying from topic, sorry! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

yer man! wrote: »
    In fairness I too find Galway poor for clothes shopping. I will always find what I want when I go to Dublin in shops like pull & bear, gap, H&M and places like that. Galway is hands down one of the worst places for shoe shopping unless you want high tops or runners.

All depends what you wear i guess, was in Dublin lastweek, H&M was a kip of the highest order up there, their clothes are gone to sh1te. I always find what i need in Galway.

Hanley's, BT's and the Hilfiger shop are the only decent places for men's clothes in Galway, Geraghtys might have the odd thing too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

Yes Hilfigers and BT do have good men's stuff but they're expensive. It's the midrange stuff that's missing in Galway. The selection for men is very poor. It's also poor for women although slightly better.

I have seriously struggled to get a good pair shoes that match my taste and wallet and I'm not really fussy. There's either old man shoes or teenager fashions.

I too would like the Crowne Plaza built but that's not going to happen so it's going to look like a bombsite for the next ten years.

And not it not's a predilection for McDonalds that restricts my choices.:P I'm quite svelte. :cool: If anything everything is too big for me!:(

Hanley's, BT's and the Hilfiger shop are the only decent places for men's clothes in Galway, Geraghtys might have the odd thing too I suppose.

If youre into stripey shirts and over priced red jumpers then thems are definitely the places to go.

All depends what you wear i guess, was in Dublin lastweek, H&M was a kip of the highest order up there, their clothes are gone to sh1te. I always find what i need in Galway.

When I was living up there I used to hate trying to find something, most of the stuff the likes of H&M were selling was best described as gammy

I've always been able to get stuff in Galway. Ryans, Greenes & Geraghtys are places I drop into when I'm looking for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Can't really see what the problem is here. This isn't an out of town development that would drain the lifeblood from the city centre - quite the opposite. This is definitely preferable to the Crown plaza. Aside from that it is clear that the floorspace in existing Galway city centre retail units is really small relative to the norm. All good from what I can see.

If youre into stripey shirts and over priced red jumpers then thems are definitely the places to go.

Yes because that's all they sell :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes because that's all they sell :rolleyes:

Pretty much.

Pretty much.

You do realise you are talking rubbish. Stating that three shops in town which stock an extensive range of high quality designer clothing "only stock red jumpers and stripey shirts". As an aside whats wrong with stripey shirts, I certainly have no problem with them.

Galway needs more shops for more of a choice but that doesn't mean you can't get nice stuff in the shops I mentioned, Hanley's also have very nice, helpful staff, my family has been shopping there before I was born and some of the staff would know us by name.

I also don't mean H&M when I say more shops, I think I've bought one think in H&M in my life.

Where do you suggest I find stuff as 90% of decent stuff I've found to buy in Galway ever has been in Hanley's or BT's.

You do realise you are talking rubbish. Stating that three shops in town which stock an extensive range of high quality designer clothing "only stock red jumpers and stripey shirts". As an aside whats wrong with stripey shirts, I certainly have no problem with them.

Galway needs more shops for more of a choice but that doesn't mean you can't get nice stuff in the shops I mentioned, Hanley's also have very nice, helpful staff, my family has been shopping there before I was born and some of the staff would know us by name.

I also don't mean H&M when I say more shops, I think I've bought one think in H&M in my life.

Where do you suggest I find stuff as 90% of decent stuff I've found to buy in Galway ever has been in Hanley's or BT's.
    You dont get sarcasm much do you. If stripey shirts are your thing then more power to you, like i've already said.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

New men's shop on Abbeygate Street (beside AIB) is a welcome new addition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Paddyfield wrote: »
    New men's shop on Abbeygate Street (beside AIB) is a welcome new addition.
    What type of men are they selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Hanley's also have very nice, helpful staff,

+1 There for sure

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The Comer brother have been very busy lately.
    They have also bought the corrib great southern and the Rosshill par 3 golf course.

UK developers poised to join buying spree in Galway City
    Three large development sites on the eastern side of Galway City have been snapped up – including the former Corrib Great Southern Hotel – in a series of deals potentially signalling a turnaround in the land market.

And ‘big league’ property developers from Britain, including Abbey and Genesis Homes, have made a series of enquiries about the market here.

The Galway City Tribune can reveal that the former Corrib Great Southern, along with the former Dawn Dairies site on the Dublin Road, and the old Par 3 golf course in Rosshill have all been snapped up in separate deals in recent months for a total figure understood to be less than €9 million

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

A whole shopping centre isn't something I miss in Galway but I would definitely not say no to H&M down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

More shops, more choice and most importantly - more jobs. Of course losing a portion of a run down block of inner city galway far outweighs the benefits:rolleyes:

The Irish love to complain - it's no wonder we never see any efficient progress.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

But doesn't Galway have enough retail space already? Have you not witnessed all the vacant units in the city centre and the outlying areas?
    There is only so much retail businesses Galway can support!

Advertisement