Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just what Galway DOESN'T Need :(

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    But doesn't Galway have enough retail space already? Have you not witnessed all the vacant units in the city centre and the outlying areas?
    There is only so much retail businesses Galway can support!

Most of the vacant units are low qualiy space, small old buildings, a bit grotty. I have a few friends who regularly go to Limerick orDublin to shop 'cos they believe they can't get what they want here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I have a few friends who regularly go to Limerick orDublin to shop 'cos they believe they can't get what they want here.

Funny enough my sister tells a different story. After a few shopping trips to Dublin she told me that there's not a whole lot she can't get in Galway and it's not worth bothering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TadghsMuffins

Brad768 wrote: »
    Well, I feel the most important question here is: Will it have a Nando's?

You good sir, have just brought up life's most important question, aside from: Will it blend? Which I'm sure this new center will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

Links234 wrote: »

Talk about bad timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mollyor

I remember hearing about this awhile ago. We don't need another shopping centre. We need to invest in what we have already, help small businesses out because that is what will keep Galway unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,665 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Something like the Gate in Newcastle would be cool. basically like a 2 story shopping centre with entertainment amenities in it - all restaurants, bars, clubs and I think maybe a cinema. Whether we would have the population in Galway for it is another thing.

H & M would be a very welcome addition for lads, I'd like to see Burton getting a bigger store if they were up for it ( I dunno if it's independent or a chain? ). New Look would probably be able to get a much better selection in if they actually got a decent size space. Schuh would also love a bigger space I would imagine.

Mollyor wrote: »
    I remember hearing about this awhile ago. We don't need another shopping centre. We need to invest in what we have already, help small businesses out because that is what will keep Galway unique.

What if small businesses were to get spaces within the new shopping centre, surely that would help as they would have a big passing crowd, so an increased market?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

FitzShane wrote: »
    Something like the Gate in Newcastle would be cool. basically like a 2 story shopping centre with entertainment amenities in it - all restaurants, bars, clubs and I think maybe a cinema. Whether we would have the population in Galway for it is another thing.

H & M would be a very welcome addition for lads, I'd like to see Burton getting a bigger store if they were up for it ( I dunno if it's independent or a chain? ). New Look would probably be able to get a much better selection in if they actually got a decent size space. Schuh would also love a bigger space I would imagine.

What if small businesses were to get spaces within the new shopping centre, surely that would help as they would have a big passing crowd, so an increased market?
    Burton is part of Arcadia, H&M is gone to pot and New Look had a €500000 refit last November!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,665 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Burton is part of Arcadia, H&M is gone to pot and New Look had a €500000 refit last November!

Yeah for Ladies. Reduced the men's section. It was poor but it only made it worse. Wouldn't mind but it has the potential for a nice store. The clothes available in there, and H & M in England are very nice!

Didn't realise Burton were Arcadia at all? I knew the others were all part of the same group alright. So basically the majority of Edward Square is Arcadia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 me10yearslater

where is "what Galway needs" thread?
    I think it would be great to have a nice big swimming pool or even better something like:

http://www.aquaparksopot.pl/ea/strony/index.php?id=280&p=33&k=280

Its too cold to swim in ocean and I think it would be great fun to have it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

FitzShane wrote: »
    Yeah for Ladies. Reduced the men's section. It was poor but it only made it worse. Wouldn't mind but it has the potential for a nice store. The clothes available in there, and H & M in England are very nice!

Didn't realise Burton were Arcadia at all? I knew the others were all part of the same group alright. So basically the majority of Edward Square is Arcadia.
    The whole store was re-fit and the square footage of the mens section is actually larger, i prefer it in there now, at least mens isnt lumped into the middle of the lingerie and large ladies sections now.
    Next, Awear and Warehouse arent part of Arcadia in Edward Square, the rest are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Galway is definitely missing decent clothes shops for both men and women. I think Men have it worse off though tbh. For casual clothes the only options at a decent price that my partner has are River Island, Jack & Jones or Born. But because the clothing options are so limited loads of people end up with the same thing!

I would love to see Zara and Bershka in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I know everyone's talking about what we need and what would be cool but do any of us have the money so shop there? Another cinema? What about the Bailey? That was supposed to be a cinema. We're building the 'picture palace' at the Spanish arch. It has been pointed out all over this thread, that The Crown Centre was never finished. I live in the East side of the county and the thoughts of driving all the way into the city centre are painful. If they want a Dundrum 2, then the crown plaza's a pretty smart location!! Oh who trusts developers to do the right thing anyway:confused:

I think we could always do with more housing in the city centre, St. Patricks avenue was so cute back in the day. There's a real shortage of one bed flat's in the city centre as well. If one were to actually look at demand.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I can already see the title of a future thread in this forum:

"Boards Beers and O'Connell's Occupation - this Saturday @ 8pm"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

O'Connells the pub of the bankers and the builders, the solicitors and the landowners. Where deals were agreed on a Friday evening over a pint or two. If there is a pub I would like to see knocked its it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

There was talk of this happening years ago..I remember hearing that something like the ceiling in O'Connells is a protected structure or something ridiculous like that?Is that true? If the developers have their heads screwed on they could try and match the style of the city and still make the readies..But these types generally don't and will prob build something fair ugly and shiny..Something does need to be done with that side of the square though and the city could do with the jobs and some better mens stores.. It is a very long way from happening though, the traffic plan/public transport would need quite a bit of figuring out

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

O'Connells the pub of the bankers and the builders, the solicitors and the landowners. Where deals were agreed on a Friday evening over a pint or two. If there is a pub I would like to see knocked its it.

Fantastic! they'll never be able to find an alternative location once o'connells is gone :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Feck that, I'll make a thread in AH too.

Any excuse for a beers :cool:

Tssk wrote: »
    There was talk of this happening years ago..I remember hearing that something like the ceiling in O'Connells is a protected structure or something ridiculous like that?Is that true?

No. 8 (I think that's O'Connels) is a protected protected structure, but that can be gotten around by a half decent architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Tssk wrote: »
    I remember hearing that something like the ceiling in O'Connells is a protected structure or something ridiculous like that?Is that true?
    It is a tin roof - and yes it is protected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Not a popular one Father.

O'Connells is one of my favorite pubs, so can you add intermediate level IT hamster in there too?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Some username irony going on there. ^^^

HANDS OFF O'CONNELL'S

Lapin wrote: »
    Some username irony going on there. ^^^

HANDS OFF O'CONNELL'S

Too late, it's already been sold (is that the third time since Mrs O'Connnell died?).

Advertisement