Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London - Suspected Terrorist Incident

• 22-05-2013 5:42pm

Source: Metropolitan Police, BBC, ITN, Sky, etc

An incident in South East London this afternoon where a man was run over and then beheaded by the two men in the vehicle. The two guys then went for the armed response unit and were shot.

I have been following this for a couple of hours as I am from South East London but now, they are saying it may be a terrorist incident. The dead man apparently was wearing a help the heroes T-shirt and is a soldier at the nearby army barracks.

Witnesses say that the attackers asked people on the street to take their pictures as they waited for police to arrive. Then they tried to attack the police.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

thanks anchorman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Lunatics are fucking nuts these days.

Were they fatally shot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

****ing pr1cks, a load of my mates are based at the barracks at Woolwich, I'm ****ing appalled.

IM0 wrote: »
    thanks anchorman

Well it beats doing the weather reports :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rockygsd123

any info on the identities of the 2 murderers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Eyewitness account, for anyone thats interested http://audioboo.fm/boos/1407873-woolwich-attack-eyewitness-james

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Seachmall wrote: »
    Lunatics are fucking nuts these days.

Were they fatally shot?

Beheading is a new kind of lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10436704._/?
    POLICE say an horrific attack in London during which a man was beheaded and two men shot is being treated as a terrorist incident.

The Government's Cobra emergency committee will be meeting in the next hour to discuss the incident understood to involve a serving soldier.

Eye witnesses said two men ran the soldier down then jumped from their car and attacked him with a machete.

Others said the victim had been beheaded. Another described seeing a man wearing a Help for Heroes T-shirt being attacked with a machete-style knife and dumped in a south-east London street.

Woolwich and Greenwich MP Nick Raynsford said it was his understanding that one person, a serving soldier, was dead and his two alleged killers were taken to hospital.

<snip>

They weren't fatally shot. I'll link to an eyewitnesses twitter account but may take you a while to decipher his tweets

https://twitter.com/BOYADEE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

In before "multiculturalism failed"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Here is an audio clip of an eye-witness' account.
    *Warning - this audio contains descriptions some people may find distressing*

http://www.lbc.co.uk/listen-woolwich-eyewitness-describes-attack-72446

Crazy shiit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

My mate was working as camp guard commander in the base in Woowlich today, he is currently waiting to find out if its one of his friends that has been killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

bbc news wrote:
    Home Secretary Theresa May has summoned a meeting of Cobra to assess the incident.

Hope someone else called G.I. Joe.

1210m5g wrote: »
    My mate was working as camp guard commander in the base in Woowlich today, he is currently waiting to find out if its one of his friends that has been killed.

D'ya serve yerself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Holy **** ,
    They say this was going to happen for years ,
    Expect a back lash over this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Source: Metropolitan Police, BBC, ITN, Sky, etc

An incident in South East London this afternoon where a man was run over and then beheaded by the two men in the vehicle. The two guys then went for the armed response unit and were shot.

I have been following this for a couple of hours as I am from South East London but now, they are saying it may be a terrorist incident. The dead man apparently was wearing a help the heroes T-shirt and is a soldier at the nearby army barracks.

Witnesses say that the attackers asked people on the street to take their pictures as they waited for police to arrive. Then they tried to attack the police.

It's unreal the lengths people will go to for a decent Facebook profile picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Boya Dee ‏@BOYADEE 2h
    Mate ive seen alot of **** im my time but that has to rank sumwhere in the top 3. I couldnt believe my eyes. That was some movie ****

A soldier is run over, beheaded and bludgeoned by two crazed gunmen, followed by a shootout with police, all in front of his eyes -- and it only ranks 'sumwhere in the top 3'

Wonder what else is in his top 3 :eek:

• Woolwich is an absolute hole. Awful story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

R.I.P to the guy who's been killed. Thats an evil thing to do to someone.

There has been a confirmed risk of soldiers being attacked in the UK by extremists. I've heard of a plot a few years ago to abduct a soldier taking part in a marathon and behead him that was thankfully foiled. I suppose it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't see a terrorist angle to this. Yet.

• mike65 wrote: »

Coincidence that he was a white guy in a Help for Heroes T-shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

If the soldier was black would it still be a terrorist act?

At a location known as the home of the Royal Artillery, with numerous British Army units based there?

Nah not terrorist, blatently he dissed someones bird.
    If the soldier was black would it still be a terrorist act?

Errr, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

And the jokers have arrived on the thread.

Show a small bit of restraint people, someone lost their life.

mike65 wrote: »

but sure why not let sensationalism get in the way of a good story to boost the ratings :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

This is just awful.

I'm not saying this should be brushed over, but once again the media is giving these lunatics exactly what they want.

Report the facts, remember and honour the dead. No witch hunts, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

"Senior Whitehall sources have told the BBC that the Woolwich attackers are thought to have tried to film their attack whilst shouting "Allahu Akbar" - God is Great, says political editor Nick Robinson."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22630304

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

big trouble ahead

• Advertisement

he was also wearing shoes. wait that means anyone who wears shoes is a target too :eek:

Sky news on twatter called it a "politically motivated islamist terrerist act"
    police just on and didnt use any of those words

Lots of white guys in London, lots of Help the Heroes T shirts as well, there is nothing to link the shirt with the crime. Other than coincidence at this point.

Right now only this
    People carrying out the attack were heard to say Allahu Akbar [God is Great] were heard, said our political editor.

might be relevant (if they actually said it). Its amazing how eye witness reports can be taken as gospel when under examination they so often prove to be quite wrong.

But you've ignored the location, Mike65.

• IM0 wrote: »
    he was also wearing shoes. wait that means anyone who wears shoes is a target too :eek:

Fab logic there, given that everyone wears shoes and a minority of people would wear a T-shirt like that. It might have been totally random. Maybe they didn't like the way he walked. It's incredibly dim to totally dismiss the fact that he was wearing that T-shirt, in an area with lots of people who are against the activities of the British army (to say the least), as insignificant. There is at the very least some possibility that your man being a soldier/wearing that T-shirt had at least something to do with why he was targeted.

• mike65 wrote: »
    Lots of white guys in London, lots of Help the Heroes T shirts as well, there is nothing to link the shirt with the crime. Other than coincidence at this point.

Right now only this

might be relevant (if they actually said it). Its amazing how eye witness reports can be taken as gospel when under examination they so often prove to be quite wrong.

Not saying it definitely had anything to do with it, but it's a possibility. Same as a black guy getting stabbed to death could be a racially motivated crime. And there are a LOT of areas in London I would not walk through in a Help for Heroes T-shirt.

• Advertisement

Wake up call for the the british ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gatling wrote: »
    Wake up call for the the british ,

Yep. Hundreds of years without a terrorist incident on their soil, and now this.

• Gatling wrote: »
    Wake up call for the the british government ,

FYP.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep. Hundreds of years without a terrorist incident on their soil, and now this.

A British service man gets beheaded in London ,

Let's sit back and enjoy what's coming next

Whats "coming next"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

What? Is this a joke? Am I missing something?

Enjoy? You get enjoyment from the death of someone that you don't know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

What?

Anyone remember David Copeland, the nail bomber of 1999? There was speculation it was an IRA unit gone rogue or Serbs (the war in Kosovo was on at the time) it turned out to be a neo NAZI nutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Right now only this

Beheading says it all.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    What? Is this a joke? Am I missing something?

You're missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

Are you being vacuous on purpose?

Sky are really milking this

Angles overbthe scene and zooming in..picking upmn any statement thatbthey could milk for sensatinalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

You're missing something.

I thought so. What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

You sound a little like you've been waiting for something like this to happen yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement