Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London - Suspected Terrorist Incident

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah, because they never shut London do- oh wait.At least! Just wake up about the insulated views to personal defense weapons. Thats all I'm saying.

here:

Had plenty of time to understand it was a butchering, and yes, even the normally unarmed police force, while they took an obscenely long time to arrive, came armed. And the psychos hung out while people filmed them. o_O

They'd have been shot, yes, in America, long before they would have ever been allowed to make themselves an internet sensation

Typical post-event rant by someone who is terrified of everything and spends half his life seeking to blame someone or something and the other half predicting the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

okay so you would be in favor of executing this man? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8933193/British-soldier-jailed-for-stabbing-10-year-old-Afghan-boy.html or the idiots who attacked mosque's yesterday. or is it only Muslim extremists you view as a problem

you have caused me permanent brain damage :P

I've seen that clip and, yes, idiocy abounds. However, this latest incident has sparked a precedent and it's a dangerous one because if this kind of incident inspires copycats and, perhaps crucially, fuels the media thread ever more, it's going to reach a critical point for the ordinary person where the EDL and the BNP and even UKIP, in order of extremism, don't seem like the worst option. If more educated and respectable former moderates start joining up then the outcome could be quite ugly indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Happyman42 wrote: »
    If the Irish army was engaged in aggressive imperialism then yes, I would be saying the same.

is ISAF aggressive imperialism then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

I don't care what anyone calls them, beyond my personal preference that they use correct terminology. Politicians rarely get it right in any other subject, why should military operations be any different?

I have legitimate targets to engage, or I do not. The word "terrorist" is not found under the definition of "combatant" or "non-combatant" in the laws of land warfare, no matter what the politicians say. (It may, however, be found as a distinguisher between 'lawful combatant' and 'unlawful combatant')

NTM

And you yourself are a legitimate target by anyone in whose country you are occupying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I've given this some thought.

In my opinion, I think the only way to deter domestic islamic terrorism in the Uk or even America is to make it clear that if you commit a terrorism act involving loss of life, you will be imprisioned for the rest of your life, your entire family will be deported to whatever country your ancestors came from even if they left generations ago and when you eventually die in a supermax prison you will be burried in pieces in a pigskin to ensure that you won't go to 300 virgins in the afterlife.

Pretty harsh, but i can't see any other way to proceed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MajorMax wrote: »

In my opinion, I think the only way to deter domestic islamic terrorism in the Uk or even America is to make it clear that if you commit a terrorism act involving loss of life, you will be imprisioned for the rest of your life, your entire family will be deported to whatever country your ancestors came from even if they left generations ago and when you eventually die in a supermax prison you will be burried in pieces in a pigskin to ensure that you won't go to 300 virgins in the afterlife.

Israeli style deterents don't appear to work there, so why in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

MajorMax wrote: »

Supposing you and your family are originally from the UK , you convert to Islam , commit an act of terrorism in the UK ... where should your family be deported to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Does anyone else hate the term multiculturism? It's such an unspecfic word, which depending on the point being made, means everything from a country where cultures assimilate and mix to one where they are segregated and completely seperate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

MonaPizza wrote: »
    And you yourself are a legitimate target by anyone in whose country you are occupying.

Correct.

Though preferably by lawful combatants, as opposed to unlawful ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Blisterman wrote: »
    Does anyone else hate the term multiculturism? It's such an unspecfic word, which depending on the point being made, means everything from a country where cultures assimilate and mix to one where they are segregated and completely seperate.
    Only because it is misused.

Multiculturalism means that all cultures in a country, both the indigenous ones and those brought by more recent immigrants, co-exist. It means that incoming cultures are not absorbed into the existing culture, but are allowed to exist alongside it.

Horrific thought, I know. All those people, doing things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted before, but this sort of sums up the EDL.;)

Poster warning: Watching this clip may lower your IQ permanently.

is that what people on here recognize as the "true" brits then. gawd help us all. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

He claims he was doing it on behalf of Muslims who have suffered at the hands of the British Government's foreign policy. But he has presumably had a much better life living in Britain than he would have had living wherever his parents came from. It seems as though the two men are just primitive and sympathise with the promoters of radical Islam. It's a kick in the teeth that people like that can be home grown but when floodgates are let open there are going to be people like this simply because of the sheer size of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

. If a psycho goes into a school and chops up a bunch of kids in a fit of rage he's never accused of terrorism.

Seriously? If he goes into a school shouting Allahu Akhbar, ranting about the middle East, and it turns out he has affiliations with radicaln muslim clerics, I'm pretty sure people would call him a terrorist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted before, but this sort of sums up the EDL.;)
    Yeah they really managed to find a gem there :D

Tbh, you can always find extremists if you look hard enough

Maybe Tommy Robinson EDL getting punched will warm someone's heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

fair point nodin. I suppose they are so desperate to meet their maker. just as well we have marines, airforces and drones etc to help arrange that for them...

"we" do? News to me.

• Pug160 wrote: »
    He claims he was doing it on behalf of Muslims who have suffered at the hands of the British Government's foreign policy. But he has presumably had a much better life living in Britain than he would have had living wherever his parents came from. It seems as though the two men are just primitive and sympathise with the promoters of radical Islam. It's a kick in the teeth that people like that can be home grown but when floodgates are let open there are going to be people like this simply because of the sheer size of the population.

To me it looks like two nutjobs who didn't fit into society for whatever reason, turned to Islam and are now using their new-found religion as an excuse to be barbaric thugs.

To me it looks like two nutjobs who didn't fit into society for whatever reason, turned to Islam and are now using their new-found religion as an excuse to be barbaric thugs.

Yeah but the problem is that there's probably a lot more of them out there, possibly plotting something much bigger. They are clearly ''nutjobs'' but if they were inspired by radical Islam that's still an issue that needs to be addressed. Just labeling them nutjobs and nothing else sort of brushes things under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even though I understand and to some point agree with this, there has just been too many "incidents" similar to this one over the years for it to be a good only reason.
    Most recently the Toulouse shootings and the Boston bombings.

Also, would they have done the same if say they were fanatic Christians or Jews? Possibly but not likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

is ISAF aggressive imperialism then?

Yes, in the eyes of some, notably those involved yesterday.

• Pug160 wrote: »
    Yeah but the problem is that there's probably a lot more of them out there, possibly plotting something much bigger. They are clearly ''nutjobs'' but if they were inspired by radical Islam that's still an issue that needs to be addressed. Just labeling them nutjobs and nothing else sort of brushes things under the carpet.

Of course there are, but it's also not as simple as 'stop letting all those Muslims in'. I do most definitely support immigration restrictions and the deportation of foreigners who commit crimes and have no doubt that people with evil intentions are still coming to the UK from abroad, but some of the most dangerous radical Muslims are converts, like these men were. They don't grow up with an understanding of Islam, they latch onto a cause to give their life some meaning. The main problem as far as the UK is concerned, IMO, is people feeling marginalised in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

biko wrote: »
    Also, would they have done the same if say they were fanatic Christians or Jews? Possibly but not likely.

I don't think it's really comparing like with like. You will find examples of "Christian terrorism" (and "Jewish terrorism") where a small percentage of Christians (or Jews) see themselves as being the minority and/or oppressed and without the means to wage what we would consider a 'proper' war.

Of course there are, but it's also not as simple as 'stop letting all those Muslims in'. I do most definitely support immigration restrictions and the deportation of foreigners who commit crimes and have no doubt that people with evil intentions are still coming to the UK from abroad, but some of the most dangerous radical Muslims are converts, like these men were. They don't grow up with an understanding of Islam, they latch onto a cause to give their life some meaning. The main problem as far as the UK is concerned, IMO, is people feeling marginalised in the first place.

I never said it was. But undesirables shouldn't be let in to spread their ideology to anyone else. I think immigration is actually healthy but in many cases it was complete overkill and with population numbers so high the amount of nutjobs is logically going to increase anyway, as well as the amount of people slipping through the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Again you're just twisting the facts to suit your view. You can't have it both ways though.
    What separates this act of violence from any other act of violence where onlookers are shocked and traumatised.
    If you're going to define terrorism then you'd better make it clear.
    Was this a civilian or not and how do you know whether they knew he was a soldier or not. They seemed to clearly target one guy. That level of fixation on one victim certainly would suggest that they knew something about the guy. He was also wearing a Help for Heroes t-shirt apparently.

This terrorism label is being used to polarise the public and justify the governments resource wars against Middle East countries. Simple as that. If a psycho goes into a school and chops up a bunch of kids in a fit of rage he's never accused of terrorism.

I'm sick of this terrorism term and I don't subscribe to it. It's meaningless. There's no such thing as terrorism, just action and reaction, just cause and effect, truth and lies.
    One of two was previously seen outside Mosques calling on Muslims to join the terror campaign in Syria.
    Had he been an Irishman calling for people to join the IRA he'd have been jailed by the British.
    But as the British work on a "Good terrorist. Bad terrorist" mindset, they gave him space.
    They even consider arming these "Good terrorists".
    This time however the chickens came home to roost.
    Cameron and Hague should be chased from this young mans funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Crazy to think the poor chap survived tours of Afghanistan and then got hacked to death in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Crazy to think the poor chap survived tours of Afghanistan and then got hacked to death in London.

Tours of Afghanistan, sounds like a school adventure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

One of two was previously seen outside Mosques calling on Muslims to join the terror campaign in Syria.
    Had he been an Irishman calling for people to join the IRA he'd have been jailed by the British.
    But as the British work on a "Good terrorist. Bad terrorist" mindset, they gave him space.
    They even consider arming these "Good terrorists".
    This time however the chickens came home to roost.
    Cameron and Hague should be chased from this young mans funeral.
    I find this hate filled post sickening.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Looks like a fine young man. A fine soldier and a hero.
    They should change the law and allow all members of the forces carry hand weapons when they are off duty. It's crazy that they are trusted to be armed abroad and not in their own street where they can defend themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Piliger wrote: »
    Looks like a fine young man. A fine soldier and a hero.
    They should change the law and allow all members of the forces carry hand weapons when they are off duty. It's crazy that they are trusted to be armed abroad and not in their own street where they can defend themselves.

I don't find that crazy in the slightest. Particularly when you consider that between 3% and 10% of the British prison population are ex-military. Military is the most common former profession in UK prisons.

More here: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/criminology/research/current-projects/jt146soldiers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Funny how this was 'an act of terrorism'

but when a white man hacks a 75 year old Pakistani man to death it hardly gets a peep in the news. Cameron didn't fly home for this, nor was Cobra called into action.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/02/birmingham-murder-racially-motivated-police

But sure, yea, it's not like the UK media ever over react to anything.

i know where you're coming from and had read that story. however, it's not been shown for definite that the killer was a white man or that it was racially motivated. it makes a convenient counter-argument on a day like today, but the facts are not all in. the contrast is striking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

This brutality is a way of life in some areas Nigeria and its likely that the perpetrators would be slow to commit a similar act of barbarism in their home country unless affiliated with a large strong group as they would be butchered by others in the same merciless way.
    Not surprised that humans can stoop so low considering people get burned alive for being suspected 'witches' in the same country and others on that continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Funny how this was 'an act of terrorism'

but when a white man hacks a 75 year old Pakistani man to death it hardly gets a peep in the news. Cameron didn't fly home for this, nor was Cobra called into action.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/02/birmingham-murder-racially-motivated-police
    Of course, because there was considered to be no danger of systemic copycat attacks.

We have already seen systemic incidents of terrorism involving fundamentalists of all hues and creeds (including Irish Catholics btw) and these require specific policy attention because of the extra dangers they present.

I don't find that crazy in the slightest. Particularly when you consider that between 3% and 10% of the British prison population are ex-military. Military is the most common former profession in UK prisons.

More here: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/criminology/research/current-projects/jt146soldiers
    Except I didn't refer to former military.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

me bolly wrote: »
    This brutality is a way of life in some areas Nigeria and its likely that the perpetrators would be slow to commit a similar act of barbarism in their home country unless affiliated with a large strong group as they would be butchered by others in the same merciless way.
    Not surprised that humans can stoop so low considering people get burned alive for being suspected 'witches' in the same country and others on that continent.

The Nigerian thats been identified was born and bred in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Hate for whom exactly?
    islamic head-hackers and their financial backers?
    What are you drinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

i think we should arm Everybody. And sort this thing out for once and all. Then we can all defend ourselves from whatever ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Alfred123 wrote: »
    i think we should arm Everybody. And sort this thing out for once and all. Then we can all defend ourselves from whatever ..

Is that sarcasm?

Alf Garnet, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Source: Metropolitan Police, BBC, ITN, Sky, etc

An incident in South East London this afternoon where a man was run over and then beheaded by the two men in the vehicle. The two guys then went for the armed response unit and were shot.

I have been following this for a couple of hours as I am from South East London but now, they are saying it may be a terrorist incident. The dead man apparently was wearing a help the heroes T-shirt and is a soldier at the nearby army barracks.

Witnesses say that the attackers asked people on the street to take their pictures as they waited for police to arrive. Then they tried to attack the police.

Choudry on Ch4 now....lock him up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

EDF Energy has been bombarded with tweets because they were apparently holding racist protests last night in Woolwich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Nodin wrote: »

Even more worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

Nodin wrote: »

Nodin... If you care to listen to the young man in question, The knife wielding, miss understood guy... in the video of the aftermath his speaks of, and I quote (I apologise that women had to witness this today,but in our lands, our women have to see the same) Home thoughts from abroad maybe....

Super-Rush wrote: »
    EDF Energy has been bombarded with tweets because they were apparently holding racist protests last night in Woolwich.

The social media team at EDF energy had to work for their money today. People tweeting them threatening to change their providers. I think the publicity will work in their favour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

Cungi wrote: »
    Is that sarcasm?

Yah, that's right ! go ahead - use the sarcasm card on me ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I am pie wrote: »
    why?

if you saw him, you'd wonder why he was given a box to spout from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Alfred123 wrote: »
    Yah, that's right ! go ahead - use the sarcasm card on me ..

Oh ok, you're trolling then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I agree. Shocking bitter nonsense

I just missed it on +1. Did he denounce yesterdays murder? Should I start holding my breath now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I just missed it on +1. Did he denounce yesterdays murder? Should I start holding my breath now?
    He's on Newsnight tonight too. No idea why the BBC would give someone like him a platform.

• Advertisement
Advertisement