Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London - Suspected Terrorist Incident

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes, of course. How is someone who hates everything about your culture and country to the point that they're willing to kill people for their cause not an 'enemy of your people'? :confused:

So kick the Irish out of Britain then? (logically that's Bismarks position)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Gatling wrote: »
    Deportations multiple appeals and so on and so on you know how anti racist screaming human rights groups

...considering that theres no indication as regards their nationality, thats a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

mike65 wrote: »
    Nothing like a thread of this nature to bring out the racists, Ted.

And apologists.

I should clarify that what I find strange about this being a terrorist attack is that usually their sole purpose was to cause as much damage and devastation as possible. So the fact that these guys killed one person, posed for pictures and videos seemingly, waited for the armed response guys to come then only fired .. what .. 2 shots apparently.. just seems strange.

More like absolute lunatics than anything else. Why COBRA was involved is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I should clarify that what I find strange about this being a terrorist attack is that usually their sole purpose was to cause as much damage and devastation as possible. So the fact that these guys killed one person, posed for pictures and videos seemingly, waited for the armed response guys to come then only fired .. what .. 2 shots apparently.. just seems strange.

More like absolute lunatics than anything else. Why COBRA was involved is beyond me.

Because they shouted Allah Akbar and didn't attack any other civilians except for the soldier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Jonny7 wrote: »
    It was ITV who aired the interview with one of the suspects directly after the killing - there didn't seem to be any sound when I saw it

Anyone catch what was said?

Apologised for the women etc who had to witness it but said its the type of thing that happens in other countries or something along those lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mike65 wrote: »

In fairness they might just want the Donegal people gone. We'll have to get clarification.

Like I said above its the proximity to the Woollwich barracks that's the issue for COBRA rather than the nature of the attack.

from Guardian
    The barracks is home to the Princess of Wales regiment and the Kings Troop, which is a ceremonial unit, that relocated to Woolwich last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Let us face it; governments are transparent, and we get to know a lot of what goes on day-to-day, but MI5/MI6 don't have those multimillion pound budgets for nothing, and it'd be naive to assume they get cobra together for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

Would you care to defend and explain this appalling act
    In before "multiculturalism failed"

• Advertisement

Because they shouted Allah Akbar and didn't attack any other civilians except for the soldier.

Stupid question but - did they know the guy was a soldier? Was he wearing a uniform or in his "civi" clothes?

• mike65 wrote: »

It might be his position. Mine would be to kick out anyone who displays indications that they have no interest in integrating into society and could be considered a risk in the future. Irish, Muslim, whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder if its actually a race attack rather than terror attact

Stupid question but - did they know the guy was a soldier? Was he wearing a uniform or in his "civi" clothes?

It is unconfirmed but apparently he was stationed in the nearby Royal Artillery Base. He was also wearing Civ Clothes (A T-Shirt for the charity Help For Heroes)

• Stupid question but - did they know the guy was a soldier? Was he wearing a uniform or in his "civi" clothes?

He was wearing a Help for Heroes t-shirt and near the Woolwich barracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

He must have had something on him indicating he was military, it was the first thing reported.

He was wearing a Help for Heroes t-shirt and near the Woolwich barracks.

Are these tshirts readily available for the public or only through army channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Emergency Cobra Meeting.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Cobra_movie_poster.jpg

Cant wait to see stallone back in action

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

civies....but was wearing a help for heroes charity t shirt. it's radical Islamists again. what else do you expect from these people??

• Advertisement

• Are these tshirts readily available for the public or only through army channels?

Everyone can get them afaik.

Are these tshirts readily available for the public or only through army channels?

Public. Are you not watching the news ? These questions sound as if you are trying to make a point. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Seems to be political

The man with the machete tells passersby in a broad London accent: "We apologise that women had to see this today but in our lands our women have to see the same. You people will never be safe. Remove your government. They don't care about you."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Eyewitnesses thought the two animals were resuscitating the soldier

but they were in fact hacking off his head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

ITV have said they have a video of a man with bloodied hands and a machete in his hands saying why he carried out the attack. I'm sure it will make its way to the net in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Even when it was the bears I knew it was the muslims!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Nino Brown wrote: »
    When they shout Allahu Akbar, and video tape a beheading, they're terrorists

The Beltway Snipers believed they were on a mission from Allah.

Then again, they also believed they were on a mission from a fictional Laurence Fishburne character, so again, I have to ask, what makes these chaps automatically "terrorists" as opposed to "arseholes" in the public mind?

Crazies invariably offer "rationalisations" for their crazy, and they invariably string them together from elements they've soaked out of pop culture. Right now it's Islam, before that it was video games, back in the day it was devil worshipping etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

What happens at these cobra meetings

Do they just have tea and chat about stuff?

The Beltway Snipers believed they were on a mission from Allah.

Then again, they also believed they were on a mission from a fictional Laurence Fishburne character, so again, I have to ask, what makes these chaps automatically "terrorists" as opposed to "arseholes" in the public mind?

Crazies invariably offer "rationalisations" for their crazy, and they invariably string them together from elements they've soaked out of pop culture. Right now it's Islam, before that it was video games, back in the day it was devil worshipping etc...

Terrorism is the systematic use of terror, often violent, especially as a means of coercion.
    The man with the machete tells passersby in a broad London accent: "We apologise that women had to see this today but in our lands our women have to see the same. You people will never be safe. Remove your government. They don't care about you."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Here's the video from ITV News. Warning the dead guy is shown in the background. Nothing gorey though - it was shown on the news after all.

Public. Are you not watching the news ? These questions sound as if you are trying to make a point. :confused:

Nope, usually don't.

I'm not making a point at all, but I'm not willing to really jump on the terrorist bandwagon. If he was wearing civilian clothing, in a tshirt readily available to the public, then it seems to me that either the victim was known personally to the killers or they killed a random person that turned out to be a soldier.

So, we now know that the guy was actually British and wasn't a case of multiculturalism gone badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Itv again read transcript of what the guys were saying, and they did know he was a soldier,talked about it being revenge for muslims being killed in other countries, said eye for an eye

Funny after showing the video a few times, itv blurred the guys face the last time they showed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

• Jonny7 wrote: »
    Seems to be political

Shhhh! The experts on multiculturalism who have never left their detached houses in Westmeath don't want to be hearing that. It was just random! Random! Why would anyone even think that two people chanting about Allah while hacking off someone's head was politically motivated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sky news coverage is disgusting. Some family is going to have the bottom fall out of their world when they get a knock on their door tonight to tell them it was their son/brother and all the while they may unknowingly be watching it on television. F*cking disgusting, we don't need to see the images of this live and have all sorts of speculation from bystanders. Can you imagine the horror of this if it was your family member?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Terrorism is the systematic use of terror, often violent, especially as a means of coercion.

The key word there is systematic. An isolated incident by a pair of lunatics, no matter how horrible and violent, is not systematic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

It might be his position. Mine would be to kick out anyone who displays indications that they have no interest in integrating into society and could be considered a risk in the future. Irish, Muslim, whoever.

Anyone who rocks around cutting off heads of your solders is w enemy of the country anyone who doesn't integrate into your wider culture to the point they are doing this sorta **** is a enemy of the people simple enough logic there but not for the goodie I'm so tolerant types it's a op to out do themselfs

And let's be honest some Muslims have a bit of a flair for not integration in a rather violent way lately be it London or Nigeria or Mali

• Nope, usually don't.

I'm not making a point at all, but I'm not willing to really jump on the terrorist bandwagon. If he was wearing civilian clothing, in a tshirt readily available to the public, then it seems to me that either the victim was known personally to the killers or they killed a random person that turned out to be a soldier.

So, we now know that the guy was actually British and wasn't a case of multiculturalism gone badly.

Multiculturalism also involves British-born people from non-white, non-British backgrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Here is the chilling video of the terrorist calmly talking to passers-by after the incident

Warning - might be too graphic for some viewers

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-05-22/exclusive-video-man-with-bloodied-hands-speaks-at-woolwich-scene/

EDIT: ITV website down, here is the direct link to the video http://vimeo.com/66751726

orestes wrote: »
    The key word there is systematic. An isolated incident by a pair of lunatics, no matter how horrible and violent, is not systematic.

Yes but the systematic belief is found by all Muslims who carry out terrorist attacks, they usually have the same motives

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Sky news coverage is disgusting. Some family is going to have the bottom fall out of their world when they get a knock on their door tonight to tell them it was their son/brother and all the while they may unknowingly be watching it on television. F*cking disgusting, we don't need to see the images of this live and have all sorts of speculation from bystanders. Can you imagine the horror of this if it was your family member?

It's all over the internet anyway, that's certainly where I first read about it. The days of TV news being the sole avenue for this is gone. Makes little or no difference if they're extensively covering it.

• Advertisement

Multiculturalism also involves British-born people from non-white, non-British backgrounds.

Ah right, so the cultural bit doesn't really matter just once they aren't white?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

What do you expect the British Government to do with those British citizens then? Deport them...?

So basically everyone is going to have to be kicked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's a bad idea to be showing that video so soon after the attack. The poor mans family probably haven't been informed yet. The media really show their lack of responsibility in the pursuit of ratings by doing this.

• orestes wrote: »
    Ah right, so the cultural bit doesn't really matter just once they aren't white?

You don't think that someone brought up as a strict Muslim, for example, might have values that jar just a little bit with British ones? No? Do you think children of people from other countries have nothing to do with their parents' culture?

Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

So in effect you're saying because they were black and their parents may have been from a different country that means they're not "proper" British.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Who the fcuk cares what to call these animals. "Terrorists, arseholes, lunatics blah blah blah" You're actually arguing the reasons and definitions of them being called terrorists a couple of hours after that mans murder.
    Give your head a shake you fcukin losers and focus on what actually happened there today.

RebelSoul wrote: »
    Who the fcuk cares what to call these animals. "Terrorists, arseholes, lunatics blah blah blah" You're actually arguing the reasons and definitions of them being called terrorists a couple of hours after that mans murder.
    Give your head a shake you fcukin losers and focus on what actually happened there today.

Okay sir. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes but the systematic belief is found by all Muslims who carry out terrorist attacks, they usually have the same motives

What systematic belief or motive is that? Muslim terrorists don't even all agree on their interpretations of Islam, let alone what to do about them. Just because someone who happens to be a muslim does something horrible doesn't mean it is a terrorist attack.

Advertisement