Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London - Suspected Terrorist Incident

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    who would want to flip out their mobile phone to take a few shots when seeing this and people think the paparazzi are bad
    If mobile phone /digi cameras weren't around then pretty much nobody would have took pictures of anything today but they did ,simply because they could ,that's the sadder and depressing part of modern human behaviour .

user2011 wrote: »
    Were ITV camera's switched off then switched on after the two guys got shot, or are they just being western journo's and not showing the guys being shot?

If it's the first it's a bit strange that they didn't keep rolling for a major terrorist incident.

The footage and images are from members of the public who were at the scene when it happened. There were no News cameras there at the time as far as we know.

I did wonder too, why ITV cut out a piece of the footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Were ITV camera's switched off then switched on after the two guys got shot, or are they just being western journo's and not showing the guys being shot?

If it's the first it's a bit strange that they didn't keep rolling for a major terrorist incident.

That was filmed by a member of the public and i'm sure there is a full version, they just wont show it on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

The footage and images are from members of the public who were at the scene when it happened. There were no News cameras there at the time as far as we know.

I did wonder too, why ITV cut out a piece of the footage.

Yep, citizen journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Cheers, it's just ITV taken ownership of the video so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

space_man wrote: »
    if this is the level to which they have sank,

What was the former level and how was it higher?
    then MI5 and the security services have done a fine job i'ld say.

Of what?

Liaising with the Islamic community?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

MuchoLoco wrote: »
    Your putting this down to being mentally unstable okay??? Noting got to do with jihadist groups radicalising British Muslims to cause as much terror as they can when they get the opportunity after slipping under the radar

if this was Al Qaeda 'er 'inspired', the as a Muslim fundamentalist i would be deeply embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Latchy wrote: »
    If mobile phone /digi cameras weren't around then pretty much nobody would have took pictures of anything today but they do ,simply because they can ,that's the sadder and depressing part of modern human evolution .

So true,take a look at much of the coverage from the early days of the Arab Spring,especially anything to do with a lynching or mob beating....

I noted that in supposedly hugely oppressed and terrorised Libya,huge numbers were able to happily click their way through execution after execution as if their life depended on it.....I found it (and still do) somewhat contradictory to the line being pushed at the time.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'd say they paid a fee for the video.

The tweeter who put up one of the first images was sent tweets by loads of media outlets asking to use the image. Someone then tweetd them saying they should be getting paid for it. I am sure it is the same for whoever took the video. Maybe ITV pay exclusive rights or just to use it.
    https://twitter.com/BietLe_/status/337209208971878400/photo/1

The tweeter, who witnessed the event, is now playing his xbox and tweeting about fifa instead :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Peter The Pedo

Scary that any youth, which he seems, can carry out an attack and claim the act as an act of terrorism. The value of the act, negative or positive, is too easily justified as soon as the Islam jargon is spouted. Just looks like a regular London yoot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

this 'operation' wasn't even close to being intelligently 'er planned.
    if this is supposed to be Al Qaeda, then they must be scouring mental institutions for recruits.
    Duh .. AQ don't organise these kinds of attacks .. AQ is a franchise, an inspirational hate thing .. These kinds of deranged hate filled muslims organise their own attacks and it seems these two were not just sick and twisted but stupid to boot. They seem to have expected to get shot straight away.

I hope to goodness they suffer and stay in prison, in solitary, for the rest of their lives. Better still .. send them to Guantanamo !
    if this is the level to which they have sank, then MI5 and the security services have done a fine job i'ld say.
    What does that mean ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

some of the biggest nutjobs on the planet are highly articulate.

Sadly, people don't have to be insane or "crazy" to carry out these types of attacks.. just very brainwashed or very (religiously) radicalised

I've read transcripts of pamphlets that were in posession of the 911 hijackers before their attacks - very indoctrinating stuff.. victims are just sheep, who are just having their lives shortened for a much more powerful religious cause, the hijackers own lives are mundane and meaningless, this would give their deaths a religious purpose and so on.

I don't know what drove these guys, but two fairly "nice and relatively normal" brothers blew up people in the US recently, radicalisation within small peer groups, religious groups, online is possible (as shown by the 7/7 bombers and the July 21 failed bombers)

if this was Al Qaeda 'er 'inspired', the as a Muslim fundamentalist i would be deeply embarrassed.

Why ?

A serving White Infidel British Soldier is sacrificed.

His killers get to make their justification live,on line and uncensored in a manner way beyond anything Al Qaeda has ever managed before in so many attacks where their hate filled diatribes were always subject to some form of proof-viewing by others,be they pro or anti the particular Jihad being pursued.

I's suggest that Al Qaeda's "PR Dept" will take possession of this attack and it's evil perpretrators and use it to the fullest.

Even their Twin Towers spectacular seems staged and Hollywoodish in comparison to the sheer awful reality of this butchery.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Your putting this down to being mentally unstable okay??? Noting got to do with jihadist groups radicalising British Muslims to cause as much terror as they can when they get the opportunity after slipping under the radar
    If this was an act of terrorism, then I think mental instability comes into it as well. If you think about it, it's very unlikely that someone of sound mind could be manipulated into committing such a heinous act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

Probably 2 South London crack heads who have never worked a day in their lives. I bet if the footage of the London riots was reviewed again, you'd see them looting on it too.

Allahu Akbar is more than likely the only phrase they know.

Probably True....But today they gained themselves an identity.. as only fools know how....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

AlekSmart wrote: »
    So true,take a look at much of the coverage from the early days of the Arab Spring,especially anything to do with a lynching or mob beating....

I noted that in supposedly hugely oppressed and terrorised Libya,huge numbers were able to happily click their way through execution after execution as if their life depended on it.....I found it (and still do) somewhat contradictory to the line being pushed at the time.[/

The sad realisation of knowing that a large % of humanity on this planet is accustomed to savagery which for many is the norm ,acceptable and the more gruesome the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

AlekSmart wrote: »

Even their Twin Towers spectacular seems staged and Hollywoodish in comparison to the sheer awful reality of this butchery.

Congrats on managing to stretch to a new low of idiocy.

These people might well be indoctrinated or they might well be nutters flying under the flag of ideology, but they're not making any sort of impact close to 9/11. Keep in mind that poor woman beheaded in Tenerife last year was killed by a nutjob whose stated goal was to build a new Jerusalem (to clarify: for the Christian side of things - not Islam or Judaism). There's no great lessons to be learned here beyond people can be pretty awful to each other.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Sadly, people don't have to be insane or "crazy" to carry out these types of attacks.. just very brainwashed or very (religiously) radicalised

I've read transcripts of pamphlets that were in posession of the 911 hijackers before their attacks - very indoctrinating stuff.. victims are just sheep, who are just having their lives shortened for a much more powerful religious cause, the hijackers own lives are mundane and meaningless, this would give their deaths a religious purpose and so on.

I don't know what drove these guys, but two fairly "nice and relatively normal" brothers blew up people in the US recently, radicalisation within small peer groups, religious groups, online is possible (as shown by the 7/7 bombers and the July 21 failed bombers)

disaffected, angry youth have been around long before AQ ever existed.
    self-harming and suicidal youth are sadly all too common as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

They showed the full mobile cam footage from a bystander on CNN news. Horrific stuff.

kirb42 wrote: »
    Probably True....But today they gained themselves an identity.. as only fools know how....

give it a couple of weeks and nobody will ever know they existed.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

The whole thing seems very bizzare.
    BBC news just showed a photo of a blonde woman standing face to face talking to one of the guys with a huge bloodied knife in his hand.
    If these two guys just butchered someone in the street, would you go over to talk to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

A copycat attack after Boston I wonder ?

David Cameron saying on TV he beat back the IRA and won.
    Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

BBC news just showed a photo of a blonde woman standing face to face talking to one of the guys with a huge bloodied knife in his hand.
    If these two guys just butchered someone in the street, would you go over to talk to him.

bizzare doesn't come close. Seems they wandered around for 20 minutes. I thought police were quick on the scene? Could have been a lot worse if they didn't have that 1 target singled out. All those people, school nearby.

TheUsual wrote: »
    Right.

they did.
    the IRA were forced to lay down their arms.
    where is their 32 county Republic?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

they did.

Nope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

This thread has already begun to derail. Expect a protracted argument over who forced who to the NI negotiation table.

alastair wrote: »
    Congrats on managing to stretch to a new low of idiocy.

These people might well be indoctrinated or they might well be nutters flying under the flag of ideology, but they're not making any sort of impact close to 9/11. Keep in mind that poor woman beheaded in Tenerife last year was killed by a nutjob whose stated goal was to build a new Jerusalem (to clarify: for the Christian side of things - not Islam or Judaism). There's no great lessons to be learned here beyond people can be pretty awful to each other.

You are very kind,thank you,although I think you might be a tad previous in assuming there are no further lessons to be learned from this savagery...I'll wait a wee bit longer before I make my mind up on that.

As for the Impact,again,if it's not too idiotic,lets wait and see whether this will play out in the less strident manner you propose....

Idiotic me ?....well,I see quite a significant risk arising from this unless we start hearing a bit more of this .....
    The Muslim Council of Britain also issued statement.

"This is a truly barbaric act that has no basis in Islam and we condemn this unreservedly. Our thoughts are with the victim and his family. We understand the victim is a serving member of the Armed Forces. Muslims have long served in this country’s Armed Forces, proudly and with honour. This attack on a member of the Armed Forces is dishonourable, and no cause justifies this murder.

This action will no doubt heighten tensions on the streets of the United Kingdom. We call on all our communities, Muslim and non-Muslim, to come together in solidarity to ensure the forces of hatred do not prevail. It is important we allow our police authorities to do their job without speculation. We also urge the utmost vigilance and ask the police authorities to calm tensions."

Mohammed Shafiq, the head of the Ramadhan Foundation has also criticised the murder of a man in Woolwich by men invoking the name of Allah.

"I wish to condemn the evil and barbaric crime carried out today in Woolwich. Our immediate thoughts are with the family and friends of the victims. From whatever angle you see today's attack it was at every level evil.
    We must allow the police to gather all the facts before unnecessary speculation and wait for the facts before determining its impact on our country.
    But what happens in the days to come, London and our nation will come together and will not be divided. The terrorists will never win and succeed in their evil plans.
    But tonight we think of the family of that soldier killed."

Well done to those Muslim voices for sanity,one would hope that the British media will give these spokespersons the same scope as they regularly afford the "Mad Mullahs" who'se profiles they have so greatly assisted in raising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Can we have at least one thread that doesn't devolve into an IRA/Northern Ireland trainwreck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

they did.

I was wondering when this bullshit would start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

TheUsual wrote: »
    Right.
    they did.

You know nothing about the conflict then, everyone knows and the British Army officially said it was a stalemate, they could not defeat them or vice verca (that is what a stalemate is)

Under the GFA agreement the British government, loyalists and unionists fully acknowledged the nationalist aspiration of a united Ireland and enshrined it in the Good Friday Agreement by unity by consent after decades of refusing to acknowledge such nationalist and republican aspirations. Whilst republicans accepted the reality of working with the system in the north to bring about that aspiration someday.

So nobody lost, people who say otherwise portray ignorance and really have no clue what they are talking about.

Now can the usual idiots STFU about Sinn Féin, Irish politics, history, ira etc when it is irrelevant for once in their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Can we stop derailing the thread with IRA discussions please?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Can we have at least one thread that doesn't devolve into an IRA/Northern Ireland trainwreck?

This one has potential: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056953747

Cue the nomination of Martin McGuinness...

I really hope I am wrong but tensions are seriously mounting in South London. EDL plan to march through Woolwich and onto a mosque and they appear to be gaining supporters every second. There's plenty of venom being spewed against anyone with a Muslim connection. This will then spill over to black people aswell. There are three types of communities in South East London, 1. those who hate anyone who isn't like them, 2. those who have an underlying hate for anyone not like them and 3. those who just want to get on with life peacefully

The police will have their work cut out for them over the next couple of days. As I say, I really hope that I'm wrong.

The total lack of any urgency from the bystanders is frightening.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I really hope I am wrong but tensions are seriously mounting in South London. EDL plan to march through Woolwich and onto a mosque and they appear to be gaining supporters every second. There's plenty of venom being spewed against anyone with a Muslim connection. This will then spill over to black people aswell. There are three types of communities in South East London, 1. those who hate anyone who isn't like them, 2. those who have an underlying hate for anyone not like them and 3. those who just want to get on with life peacefully

The police will have their work cut out for them over the next couple of days. As I say, I really hope that I'm wrong.

This is from someone else but seems to hold true atm
    Modern Britain: "There was a beheading in Woolwich." "So? Happens all the time" "Police say this was terrorism." "Fkin Muslims! Get em out!"

snaps wrote: »
    bizzare doesn't come close. Seems they wandered around for 20 minutes. I thought police were quick on the scene? Could have been a lot worse if they didn't have that 1 target singled out. All those people, school nearby.

It appears that unarmed Police were on the scene quite rapidly,but were standing-off following reports of the attackers having a firearm.

It was only after the arrival of a Tactical Firearms Unit that confrontation began.

It appears that the two attackers fulfilled much of their intentions,particularly as many reports seem to indicate they were not interested in fleeing the scene,but instead got the Police response they sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

The total lack of any urgency from the bystanders is frightening.:(

Did anyone try to help the poor man?? I appreciate they were armed but come on, surely someone wanted or tried to intervene. I really hope the guy was dead or unconscious after he was hit by the car. I'll hold back on what I think of those "men" who carried out this act of pure savagery. My thoughts and prayers are with this poor man and his family. Rip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Go go world media.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/28/teen-dies-after-stabbing-in-pimlico-london-3369513/

All they had to do was say God was great and they'd be terrorists too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The guy seems extraordinarily calm, considering he's just murdered someone.

Fcuking loser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

omega man wrote: »
    Did anyone try to help the poor man?? I appreciate they were armed but come on, surely someone wanted or tried to intervene. I really hope the guy was dead or unconscious after he was hit by the car. I'll hold back on what I think of those "men" who carried out this act of pure savagery. My thoughts and prayers are with this poor man and his family. Rip
    He had been decapitated.
    I believe these bystanders were confused and in a state of shock. Some thought that these men had been helping the man after being hit by the car ... others I imagine were just in shock because they were seeing something that simply did not 'compute' on a normal street in London. I don't blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

In terrorism, World Media is the terrorists greatest weapon.

Maybe this incident is also providing an insight into how desensitized people have become to acts of violence. Sky news is like a 24 hour snuff channel most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Maybe this incident is also providing an insight into how desensitized people have become to acts of violence. Sky news is like a 24 hour snuff channel most of them time.

Hence your name maybe?

Stev_o wrote: »
    Go go world media.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/28/teen-dies-after-stabbing-in-pimlico-london-3369513/

All they had to do was say God was great and they'd be terrorists too.

sad but true.
    crap like this is a regular occurrence in many parts of London, much of it goes largely unreported.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Hence your name maybe?

A reference to my being a boyhood arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

An interesting video of what terrorism is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

There is only going to be more of these self radical attacks due to the huge amount of Muslims in England.

Considering that this "huge amount of Muslims in England" didn't arrive yesterday, but have been there for many years, it's somewhat surprising that there haven't been more of these attacks, wouldn't you say?

I doubt I'd be wrong in stating that the people who make these kind of comments don't actually know any Muslims. So easy to tar an entire group of people when you don't know or interact with them eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The guy seems extraordinarily calm, considering he's just murdered someone.

Fcuking loser

WHY ARE PEOPLE JUST STANDING THERE? They've just witnessed a murder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

omega man wrote: »

Who in their right mind is going to tackle two big black fellas with meat cleavers who have just carved a man up? I wouldn't and neither would you. The vast majority wouldn't intervene in an average fight, never mind tackle two murderers armed to the teeth.

Advertisement