Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London - Suspected Terrorist Incident

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

discus wrote: »
    WHY ARE PEOPLE JUST STANDING THERE? They've just witnessed a murder!

In fairness what do you want them to do? Confront 2 armed men they have just seen decapitate a person? Pretty sure most people would be sh/tting the cacks at that stage. It's made all the more surreal by the guy walking around calmly covered in blood giving impromptu interviews to any who will listen.

After all, it took armed cops to stop the lunatics.

Also RIP to the victim. If he is a soldier, it's a pathetic reason to be targeted, all for wearing a uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

whats goin on in that video @34 seconds, it cuts to two women at the body and one gets up as if she was lying beside him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

bystander effect. Most of you would probably do the same, believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

FTA69 wrote: »
    Who in their right mind is going to tackle two big black fellas with meat cleavers who have just carved a man up? I wouldn't and neither would you. The vast majority wouldn't intervene in an average fight, never mind tackle two murderers armed to the teeth.

So just take pictures and chat with them then I guess

Zombienosh wrote: »
    whats goin on in that video @34 seconds, it cuts to two women at the body and one gets up as if she was lying beside him....

I think women were trying to shield the victim from further attack. One maybe have been lying down checking for a response from him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

biko wrote: »
    An interesting video of what terrorism is

i doubt the 'Geo-political ambitions' of the animal that attacked that lad in Woolwich ever amounted to more than,

"Hmmm! wonder how long my crack-dealer will be?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

"Islam is a religion of peace." GTFO. Barbaric stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

discus wrote: »
    WHY ARE PEOPLE JUST STANDING THERE? They've just witnessed a murder!

And they'll give statements to Police in due course.

Not sure what you want 'em to do exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Einhard wrote: »
    Considering that this "huge amount of Muslims in England" didn't arrive yesterday, but have been there for many years, it's somewhat surprising that there haven't been more of these attacks, wouldn't you say?

I doubt I'd be wrong in stating that the people who make these kind of comments don't actually know any Muslims. So easy to tar an entire group of people when you don't know or interact with them eh?

It's clear that they're all in on it though, from the Somali busdriver to the Pakistani restaurant owner, bloody barbaric terrorists the lot of them. I had to call Naz from IT into my office today to help me unlock a sent file.

I was lucky to come out of it with my life I was.

Did no one else notice, in the video with the attacker, the woman who walks past him (and his meat cleaver) with her shopping trolly?

La la la la la
    taking a stroll
    pushing my trolley
    la la la la la

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Zombienosh wrote: »

Just reading about some women who shielded the mans body from further attack. Was wondering myself what the women were doing lying beside the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's clear that they're all in on it though, from the Somali busdriver to the Pakistani restaurant owner, bloody barbaric terrorists the lot of them. I had to call Naz from IT into my office today to help me unlock a sent file.

I was lucky to come out of it with my life I was.

No file was worth the risk man. Think of the children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maybe this incident is also providing an insight into how desensitized people have become to acts of violence. Sky news is like a 24 hour snuff channel most of the time

Western news is ridiculously censored to save the public from this type of horrors

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

This is nuts. I live in London and just had one of the neighbours openly mouthing off about muslims and how she hated them all. This will just stir more hatred. And this has nothing to do with Islam.

The EDL and BNP will thrive on this madness.

omega man wrote: »
    So just take pictures and chat with them then I guess

He was recording it and your man walked over and started shouting. I imagine having just witnessed a decapitation he was in shock and probably at a loss as to what to do. People can pontificate all they want, they would have done the exact same thin if it came down to it. I've seen people fail to intervene in violent incidence countless times, never mind when there' a murder and a big man with a cleaver involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Did no one else notice, in the video with the attacker, the woman who walks past him (and his meat cleaver) with her shopping trolly?

La la la la la
    taking a stroll
    pushing my trolley
    la la la la la

:eek:

...at some stage over the next while, she'll probably realise and have a spasm.

• The total lack of any urgency from the bystanders is frightening.:(

What a stupid thing to say. Have you ever witnessed a murder? I have (teenager stabbed in a gang fight in London), and what happens is you go into shock. I hate when something like this happens and you get muppets asking why people were 'just standing there'. You wait until someone gets stabbed in front of you and see how you react.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

If he is a soldier, it's a pathetic reason to be targeted, all for wearing a uniform.

If, and it's a big if, he was a British soldier then he was part of an army that was responsible for the murder of innocent men women and children in Iraq etc so it's a much better reason that if it was a murder of an average joe.

Not I'm not condoning it as two wrongs don't make a right but when US and British soldiers miss their targets and kill innocent civilians, where is the uproar???

Nodin wrote: »
    No file was worth the risk man. Think of the children.

I also had to give a presentation on educational courses to Bangladeshi women in East London last week. They probably all had bombs under the burkhas and their questions about IT and English classes to improve themselves were only cunning distractions. My partner's a nurse in the same area; neither of us are going to work tomorrow as we're so terrified of the homicidal hordes.

Jesus. And to think I'm only across the road from a bomb factory Turkish shop.

Chilled to the bone.

What a stupid thing to say. Have you ever witnessed a murder? I have (teenager stabbed in a gang fight in London), and what happens is you go into shock. I hate when something like this happens and you get muppets asking why people were 'just standing there'. You wait until someone gets stabbed in front of you and see how you react.

I worked as a doorman in Cork for years and saw numerous incidents, including a woman being prostrate on the floor with a fella kicking her in the head with a crowd of people standing agog doing nothing. It's the natural reaction to this sort of thing unfortunately.

• Advertisement

• FTA69 wrote: »
    I worked as a doorman in Cork for years and saw numerous incidents, including a woman being prostrate on the floor with a fella kicking her in the head with a crowd of people standing agog doing nothing. It's the natural reaction to this sort of thing unfortunately.

What are you meant to do? In this case, even if you weren't frozen in shock, who is going to try to disarm two blokes with meat cleavers?

monkey8 wrote: »
    If, and it's a big if, he was a British soldier then he was part of an army that was responsible for the murder of innocent men women and children in Iraq etc so it's a much better reason that if it was a murder of an average joe.

Not I'm not condoning it as two wrongs don't make a right but when US and British soldiers miss their targets and kill innocent civilians, where is the uproar???

oh dear.
    somebody trying to justify the beheading of an innocent lad in broad daylight.

i was wondering how long it might take AH?:o:o:o:o:o:o

What are you meant to do? In this case, even if you weren't frozen in shock, who is going to try to disarm two blokes with meat cleavers?

Call the shades and hope for the best, pretty much what people did here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Meritocracy Wins

It will always amaze me how ordinary people can be coerced into carrying out such brutality by the actions of Governments and the preaching of zealots. We truly live in a world that has been destroyed by the lies that is religion and the greed of so few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I was waiting for one of these "Oh he deserved it because of Iraq/Afghanistan" posts. :rolleyes:

Surprised we got this far into the thread before one popped up.

It will always amaze me how ordinary people can be coerced into carrying out such brutality by the actions of Governments and the preaching of zealots. We truly live in a world that has been destroyed by the lies that is religion and the greed of so few.

mankind has been butchering one another for quite some time now.
    nothing new there tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

We are destroyed by fundamentalism which comes in every shape in size. Religious fundamentalist is just one flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I think my instinct, if not numbed by shock, would be to run like the clappers.

Two big lads with knives and cleavers covered in blood?

Scary ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'm sorry but that is a load of bollocks

• Advertisement

space_man wrote: »
    oh dear.

Not trying to justify it just wondering if this is a British soldier killed my Muslims where is the uproar for the innocent Muslims killed by British soldiers in Iraq?

Not trying to justify it just wondering if this is a British soldier killed my Muslims where is the uproar for the innocent Muslims killed by British soldiers in Iraq?

i'm outta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

oh dear.

i was wondering how long it might take AH?:o:o:o:o:o:o

Monkey8 specifically says he is not condoning it.

He never said it was justified.

All he said is US and British troops kill innocent civilians sometimes and where is the uproar.

When did British soldiers go around deliberately killing Iraqis civilians?

mankind has been butchering one another for quite some time now.
    nothing new there tbh.

Nothing new is right but altogether fascinating how the control is embedded in the psyche of a person.

Hitler had this dubious talent, it continues to be practised today with the agenda that have ordinary people believing that other ordinary people are the enemy. All to fuel the greed and God delusions.

There should rightly be outrage over the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and I'm the first to protest against the glorification of the British Army. However that isn't entirely relevant to what happened in Woolwich today; the fact a young squaddie was hacked to death in public because of a bunch of right-wing fanatical religious d*ck-heads isn't anything to do with Iraq. Nutters like this would seize on any excuse to kill for their religion, if they were US fanatical Christians they'd be off shooting people at abortion clinics or something.

• Advertisement

When did British soldiers go around deliberately killing Iraqis civilians?

Oh, we tried to take out a terror camp but we just killed 20 innocent women and children, but it's okay because it wasn't deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You remind me of people who, whenever someone has a complaint/ issue or ailment, they always have a worse one.

'oh thats nothing! I have a blah blah...'

A wrong isnt negated because worse wrongs exist. Life is not a game of comparisons.
    -

Oh, we tried to take out a terror camp but we just killed 20 innocent women and children, but it's okay because it wasn't deliberate.

So the British tried to take out a terror camp and killed 20 innocent women and children?

I never heard about that one. Do you maybe have a link to that story?

You should stop posting. Please.

I see where your coming from, I don't agree with you but I understand.

The big difference is the majority of soldiers serving with ISAF and coalition forces in the countries you mentioned don't intentionally go out if their way to kill the innocent women and children native to the country. Anyway, the 2 attackers here are probably British, what they carried out is an attack against a fellow countryman under the guise of a misinterpreted scripture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Dem doirty Brits have it coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

Gatling wrote: »
    Holy **** ,
    They say this was going to happen for years ,
    Expect a back lash over this

I think we're already experiencing the black lash.

Tensions mounting in Woolwich. Hopefully things don't get out of hand

http://www.rightnow.io/breaking-news/woolwich_bn_1369240158662.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Seems to be some confusion as towards whats the difference of someone being collateral damage in a war-torn region during conflict to an off-duty soldier being directly targeted and killed in the middle of the street in south London in front of the public for show.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You remind me of people who, whenever someone has a complaint/ issue or ailment, they always have a worse one.

'oh thats nothing! I have a blah blah...'

A wrong isnt negated because worse wrongs exist. Life is not a game of comparisons.
    -

That's why I said two wrongs don't make a right! And I stick by my point that I am not condoning this brutal attack.

But people look at these acts of terror as if these people are lunatics with no reason for their actions without thinking of the horrific acts that occurs in Muslim countries that are causing these acts of retribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

RE:Tensions mounting in Woolwich. Hopefully things don't get out of hand

There were roaming mobs of tattooed vigilantes during the London riots as well. They'll be sat in front of the telly this time tomorrow night.

Retribution? This isn't retribution. They aren't Iraqi freedom fighters or people defending their homelands, they're a pair of South London crackpots and religious zealots who hacked up a youngfella on the streets.

You'd swear they were prosecuting a war of liberation or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I dont think it was a terrorist attack.

I bet he was just singing That Tune A La La La Long A La La La Long Long Le Long Long Long

And the folk on the street got mixed up with the whole Allah thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Crikey Monkey8,do ye be up the top of the tallest trees or wha....

Notwithstanding that this very public murder took place on a main drag in London town (not as yet a warzone) I find it surprising that you find the "uproar" difficult to understand.

You appear to have a distaste for the British Soldier,or perhaps all soldiers,I dunno,but there has been significant coverage of Iraqi and Afghan killings.

http://rt.com/news/afghanistan-nato-strike-killed-083/

http://rt.com/news/british-troops-brutality-iraq-069/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/02/04/us-iraq-civilians-idUSL0418141920080204

Plenty of reportage,much of it critical from these countries.

Who knows if this lad had ever been to any of these theatres of war,but for sure he was'nt on a war footing when these two animals crawled out from their lair.

However,if it makes it easier,then yes this lad represented the British Army,yes,he alone has taken the responsibility for all Iraqi and Afghan killings upon his shoulders,so yea,go ahead rationalize this butchery if you wish.

I don't know if my attitude does anything for the sense of wonderment you speak of having,but there's little to compare between the scenarios as presented by yourself.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
Advertisement